Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 01:14 PM

67 posts, read 143,544 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am currently a middle school teacher in Durham, NC. I'm thinking of moving to Delaware. Does anyone have information on teaching in Delaware? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:40 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
You will need to take the Praxis in Math, Writing, and possibly Reading. I don't remember if Reading was included when I took it. It has been a while since I started teaching in Delaware, but I came from New Jersey schools and went through the same hiring process. You will be fingerprinted by the State Police and they will do a background check. I cannot remember if I paid for that or if the District paid for it (I probably paid). There is a computerized Praxis offered at the University of Delaware; however, written tests are given throughout the state. I actually took it in New Jersey, so you may already have passed it. You must have the acceptable Delaware scores, which seem to be higher than other states.

Get online at Delaware Department of Education (DOE) and look at the job openings. Most schools like to have hiring completed by the end of June because we start in August. Have an idea of where you would like to live and teach.

Delaware is the home of private schools. Decide if you want public or private and probably interview at both. Most schools want you to be able to coach, be a club advisor, etc.

Let me know if you need additional information. I'll let you know if I remember anything else.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 AM

18 posts, read 53,291 times
Thanks for this information, a I was also looking into teaching in Delaware. I plan on living in the Dover area. I am currently reviewing for the praxis; and I hope to teach early childhood education. Do you find that there is a need for early ed. teachers? Are the schools open to hiring educators who are not natives of Delaware? TIA

Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I am not a native of Delaware and had no problem getting a teaching position. I really don't know anything about early childhood ed since I teach in high school. I will say that if you have special ed certification that you will easily be able to find a teaching position at any district in the country. Same goes for math.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 PM

18 posts, read 53,291 times
Thank you!!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times
I'll start out with my "parental" disclaimer... I am NOT a teacher, just a parent. I will say, though, that we moved to central DE from NC because of the public schools! As I have posted elsewhere in the DE forum, we have a middle school age child with autism, and where we were in NC was horrible for all of us.

As far as DE schools accepting out of state teachers, just about every teacher our 2 children (the other is in elementary school) has or had last year are from another state. Quite a few from PA, and our middle school child's math teacher is from Long Island.

SXMGirl, you made an excellent point regarding the special ed certification. Sadly, that was lacking in most teachers in NC, but you are right, it seems to be held in high regard in DE schools. From what I have heard from local teachers, checking with the school systems as early as January would not be too soon.

Dukie46 and inspiredva, good luck with your efforts, and keep us posted on your progress!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: