Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 13,652 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Philly and I'm interested in taking a daytrip down to northern Delaware on the R2 line since I've never been there and I'm not entirely convinced that it actually exists

So the plan is to arrive at the Wilmington Station at 10:30 in the morning, hop a DART bus down to historic New Castle, wander around for a bit, hop another DART bus over to Newark (looks like I'd probably transfer buses at the Christiana Mall), sit down for a coffee, stroll through the university campus, and then catch a late afternoon/early evening train from Newark Station back to Philly.

Is this doable? Are New Castle and Newark interesting? Is there anything worth sticking around Downtown Wilmington to see? Rodney Square? Art Museums? Market Street pedestrian mall?

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:47 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
The Market Street Pedestrian Mall doesn't really exist yet, at least is only in development. The Delaware Art Museum is worth a visit to see the largest collection of Pre-Rafaelites outside England, but it isn't located downtown. It is is an area a couple of miles away called the Highlands. You would have to get a city bus or a taxi. I don't suppose there's any chance of your coming over by car?

BTW, there is a lot of beautiful Northern Delaware, north of Wilmington that your trip will miss out on. And I don't think that downtown Wilmo itself is particularly interesting. Old New Castle is interesting but generally VERY quiet. The UD campus area might be rather dead if you are going to be coming between the end of the Spring semester and the beginning of the first summer session, and certainly even during the summer sessions it will be quieter than during the normal academic year.

I'm afraid I don't know about the do-ability of your plan on public transport.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:06 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I agree that you need to drive. There are many museums and interesting places to visit. Not too much in Olde New Castle, but if you plan to get there at lunch time, try Jessops Tavern. You might need reservations (it's small and popular), but most people really enjoy it. From there, you can walk down to Battery Park and look out at the river. There is a walking path, but don't go alone. Not much in shopping in Olde New Castle, as most of the antique shops are gone. I think I would be on the other side of Delaware toward Hagley and along route 52. Plenty to see and many good places to eat.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 13,652 times
Unfortunately I don't have a car out here, I could do Philly CarShare but I'd rather try public transit since I have some work I could get done on the way out there.

Why do you say not to take the walking path alone? Is it really that sketchy for a young guy?

I'm kind of interested in visiting the "Wedge" area north of Newark and the tri-state intersection of DE, ME, and PA but I'd definitely need a car for that. White Clay Creek State Park looks like a nice place for some short hikes. What other nice parks/rural areas are there in northern Delaware?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
No, maybe SXMGirl thought you were female. I wouldn't worry! If you like history and quaintness, you'll like Old New Castle (not to be confused with the rest of New Castle, which is a pit).

Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 AM

324 posts, read 1,220,295 times
Old New Castle is very reminiscent of some colonial parts of Philly. It is quaint to see and the river is there but the experience might not be much different than you would see hitting old city and then going to Penn's Landing. But I would recommend doing it once to take a look and see the architecture and the views of the Del Memorial bridge is nice on a clear day. Plus, if you like shipping, there are a lot more boats on this part of the river than up in the Philly part.

Newark is a good place to go any time of the year...if you are looking for a party scene, I agree with Jef, the busiest times are when school is in session. But Newark has a lot of nice stores up and down Main Street and campus is good to walk around. White Clay park can be accessed from Newark town (walk down North College Ave past the dorms and the park is there) but the main entrance is a bit up New London Rd and not a close walk from center of town.

Just be careful with those trains...the Newark line only has 4 trains in the afternoon right now and if you miss the last one, either you are Amtrak bound or trying to find ways on a very limited bus service to make it back towards Wilmington to catch the later trains back towards Philly.

If you can car share it, do it, it will be worth it and you won't be tied to a schedule causing you to rush around too much.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Sorry, Shimane22. I didn't know that you were a young male. However, I have a good friend who lives in Olde New Castle, and he says to never walk the path alone unless there are lots of people around. Battery Park is not surrounded by the best section of New Castle.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 PM

28 posts, read 118,076 times
The Delaware Art Museum is very nice if you like American illustration and/or pre-Raphaelite art. It is accessible from the #10 bus, which you can catch from the Amtrak station. That same bus can take you to Winterthur and the Museum of Natural History. Also, you wouldn't need any buses at all (though they are readily available) to get from Amtrak to the Delaware Center for the Contemporary Arts, a space worth seeing if you like contemporary -- the two are five minutes apart, ten if walking.

Getting through Newark and New Castle and back on SEPTA in a day with buses is pretty ambitious, though, so I can't honestly recommend you try any Wilmington excursions on top of that or you will be rushing. So what you tackle depends more on your tastes. If you do choose a Rt 52 leg, both Brandywine Park and Rockford Park are great walking parks near the Art Museum (the latter also offers the ability to climb to the top of Rockford Tower--bring your camera) and accessible from the trusty #10. However, if you are coming on Saturday, the bus won't be going as far as Winterthur or the Natural History museum, but you can do the rest, which is plenty, anyway.

Since I drive an average of once a month and my husband does not drive at all, I will generally dissent from the proposition that it requires a car to see Northern Delaware.

Let me know what your interests are and I'd have more useful suggestions, but your daytrip is definitely a worthy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware