Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times

Advertisements

While walking through peach orchards today, west of Wyoming, I noticed a great deal of peaches on the ground, unripe. It appears that the dry weather caused the unripe peaches to drop to the ground....not a good sign for our peach crop. It has been quite dry in Kent County, but appears to be worse in eastern Sussex County (above the beaches), while this link shows New Castle County not particularly suffering. This type of drought reminds me of the 1964, 1965, 1966 years when we farmers lost thousands of dollars in crops. Most of us did not have irrigation for our crops in those days, while today, many do. Today, our hopes were up when dark clouds gathered above Camden, Wyoming, and Dover, but they left only a smattering of drops on the ground. Then the dark clouds moved on.
State Drought Monitor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
It is very dry over here at the beaches, rdlr. I have to water my garden daily and the ground is just so parched. However, the extremely dry conditions haven't appeared to deter the idiots (both local and visiting) from throwing their lit cigarettes out their car windows or setting off (illegal!) fireworks during the ENTIRE Fourth of July week. And I'm talking "bottle rocket" types that land everywhere BUT where they were originally set off. I saw a couple fireworks on people's roofs when I took a walk around the neighborhood--nice. I swear, I think they get ruder and stupider every year.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 AM

242 posts, read 534,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
However, the extremely dry conditions haven't appeared to deter the idiots (both local and visiting) from throwing their lit cigarettes out their car windows

Thats how the Friendlys in Middletown burnt down a couple weeks ago...someone threw a cigarette butt in the mulch outside.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 AM

I did notice the corn being very dry looking in your area, and with curled leaves. Being an old farmer, that's my "dry" indicator, along with the stunted soy beans. We worried so many years about our crops, the thousands of $ lost, and how we were going to pay our machinery, fertilizer, lime, and weed killer bills. Those thoughts have stayed with me, and I sure hope the farmers can pull through this.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Long time between rains that's for sure but believe me it hasn't slowed up my grass growing .

Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 PM

70 posts, read 138,094 times
when hubby and I came to town in June the corn was nice and green...we came back this past weekend and we noticed how dry the corn looked and the leaves were burned and curled. Lawns are brown and crispy. It's been a rough summer.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 AM

242 posts, read 534,082 times
looking like another 100 degree day around Delaware...heat advisory. Everybody try to stay cool!
Sure hope we get some relief soon. I can say though that our neighbor is doing just fine with his corn...he sits out by the road every Sat & Sun from about 7-3 with his whole truck bed full of corn. People are in and out of there buying it up like crazy.

http://www.weather.com/news/drought-...20710?pageno=1

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Yeah, I heard that a cig was the reason Friendly's burned down....it's really sad when you think about it. People are so thoughtless anymore.

I've never been a "summer" type person and this heat and humidity feels like we're in South Carolina or Georgia. I'll be glad when fall temps are here.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Yeah, I heard that a cig was the reason Friendly's burned down....it's really sad when you think about it. People are so thoughtless anymore.

I've never been a "summer" type person and this heat and humidity feels like we're in South Carolina or Georgia. I'll be glad when fall temps are here.
I work out in the heat, but make my own schedule. Yesterday was a day I HAD to work outside - no choosing or waiting for a cool day. I agree.....Fall temperatures are a nice thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware