Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:02 AM

17 posts, read 58,377 times

Advertisements

Why do schools in DE close for Yom Kippur? It isn't a public holiday and most other religious festivals aren't school holidays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,382,278 times
Not all schools close for Yom Kippur, but I think Red Clay is closed. Probably have a large Jewish population, much like parts of NJ.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:16 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,911,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishing View Post
Why do schools in DE close for Yom Kippur? It isn't a public holiday and most other religious festivals aren't school holidays?
Yom Kippur is not a "religious festival". It is one of the biggest and holiest religious holidays of the year for the Jewish faith.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 AM

324 posts, read 1,221,999 times
Why is school closed for Christmas?

Granted, the Jewish population is no where as large as the Christian population but the 2 Spet/Oct holidays are the "high holidays" in the faith - today is the day of atonement - fasting and prayer day, the holiest day in the faith

Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 AM

17 posts, read 58,377 times
It just creates problems for parents who don't celebrate this day and are both working - meaning a day off or child care. At least Christmas is a Public Holiday.

Also - our school is closed for Colombus Day - and we don't celebrate the Colombus faith either...

Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 AM

Columbus Day is a National Holiday...there is no faith associate with Christopher Columbus (I hope you realize that) as is Martin Luther King, Jr., Veterans Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc.

Are you new to the area? Because my whole life in the Philly Metro Region, public schools have been closed on Jewish holidays. Parochial schools will not be closed for these holidays...there is your alternative.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,911,241 times
I dont celebrate the "Colombus" faith either. LOL

Nor the Christmas faith either for that matter. And guess what, my husband has worked most Christmases so public holiday or not, people still have to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishing View Post
It just creates problems for parents who don't celebrate this day and are both working - meaning a day off or child care. At least Christmas is a Public Holiday.

Also - our school is closed for Colombus Day - and we don't celebrate the Colombus faith either...

Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM

604 posts, read 2,014,022 times
We should all be happy to learn that the school district is not just giving lip service but demonstrating equality. A good first step!! May be we can be sensitive to students (and faiths) of other major religions too.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM

Honestly, if you want equality, leave the school open on all the holidays (non-Federal) and let students notify in advance of an absence for a holiday that is not held against them. If we were tolerant of all religions, schools would be closed half the year...

Time for a true seperation of church and state (school districts count as state) - let the schools operate in assembly if needed (as some teachers would be off as well).

As a Catholic growing up, if I were to attend church on the "Holy Days of Obligation", I would have missed at least 2 days a year (maybe 3) just on required "Church" days. But despite being the largest sect of Christianity world-wide, it didn't matter - those days were not off.

But my religion or your religion, phanatical or docile, there are always going to be a range of people who have their opinions about what should and shouldn't be...

But just remember, in spite of faith, religion in the USA is a business...

Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,158,472 times
I would think the employees of those school districts might expect their religious observances respected by their employer.

Why is the Yom Kippur Holiday observed by schools in Deleware? Maybe cause its not Texas and they realize there is more than one religion observed by students and staff..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware