Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,048,366 times

Advertisements

Yes, this question has been asked and answered, and asked and answered, and asked and answered. Here was my answer the last time it was asked:

//www.city-data.com/forum/10065947-post5.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:12 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,585,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Yes, this question has been asked and answered, and asked and answered, and asked and answered. Here was my answer the last time it was asked:

//www.city-data.com/forum/10065947-post5.html
I know Charley but posts like this: //www.city-data.com/forum/delaw...-yourself.html

Post #7.

"We lived in Delaware for approx 5 yrs in the Bear area during that 5 yrs my extremley healthy family disappeared and I was left with the most unhealthy family you could imagine. My father who never smoked passed away with lung cancer, my sister in law ( lived next door to us) passed away with cervical cancer. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, my brother passed awya shorlty after we left DE with abrain bleed that he originally got while in DE. My sons have bad coughs all the time getting better though since we left! The schools are a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!! The absolute worst school district I have ever seen and we have lived in quite a few places from NY to FL to CA and everywhere in between. My son would ride the bus 1 hr to get to a school that was located in the projects while they bussed the children from the projects to the schools where we lived! IT is a horrible horrible place to live! I did have really good friends there though and miss them but I would NEVER EVER reccomend moving there to anyone! Just health reasons alone is scary enough! I even wrote to the CDC they said they were investigating a cancer cluster in the area?! thats when I got out! in our neighborhood there was 14 houses out of the 14 families 13 had lost at least one member to cancer in the 5 yrs THATS BAD!!!!!!!! this was just my experience but you can check out cancer clusters and the cancer rate DE is the highest good ol dupont and all the chemicals in the air you cant even eat the fish that you catch! ITS BAD BAD BAD!!!!!"

That's what makes me go "hmmmmmmmmm" or potentially anyone else worried about this.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 AM

When that individual says to check out the cancer rates, that's exactly what I did and that why I was able to post the analysis in the message I referred to.

Here is a graph of cancer trending in Delaware:

http://statecancerprofiles.cancer.gov/historicaltrend/joinpoint.withimage.php?0&9910&999&7599&001&001&00 &0&0&0&2&0&1&1#graph

I will never minimize anyone elses experience with cancer as I now know that journey first hand. What I am saying is that each year it gets better, and cleaner, and has a higher percentage chance of cure and/or remission.

In terms of choosing Delaware, I can only speak for my wife and me. We see and understand the data, we know the history and we know what the medical community can do today. For us, the data does not scare us away. Like I said, look at me. I currently live in an area in which cancer is considered very rare - and here I am.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:37 PM

103 posts, read 233,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Good post. I am actually in a similar situation. I have been living in Delaware all of my life and recently graduated from the University of Delaware last year. I am in the process of looking elsewhere to live now. As of right now I am looking to move to Los Angeles since I applied with the LAPD there. I have also applied down in Fort Worth Texas which seemed very nice as well.

Reason why? I want to try something new and experience some new things. Delaware is great and all, but it's pretty much always going to be the same thing, not much is going to change in the next 20 years just like much hadn't in the past 20 years.

Reasons to stay would be family, friends, etc however. I figure, if I don't move out of DE now I never will, and I can always come back if I don't like it on the other side...
Congratulations of you graduation. I have quite a few relatives who went there, and a niece and nephew who recently attended. The niece graduated in 2008 with a BS in Nursing, passed her boards first time around, and is now working in Maryland. The nephew is a senior in Marketing and Broadcast Journalism, helps run the UDEL radio station, interviewed Colin Powell recently, and is doing quite well.

Do you watch the COPS show? It could probably give you some good insight into law enforcement in other cities. No doubt LA is nice, and I'm sure very interesting as a cop. I do know, however, that the economy has hit very hard there, but now housing may be a good option.

Dallas/Ft. Worth area has always been nice, from what I understand.

You would find LA weather very decent. Dallas/Ft. Worth a little humid and some ice storms but not what you have lived with in Delaware. You would find these places drier than Delaware; in fact, anything west of the Mississippi is drier.

I think what has surprised me is that there are a good many people I graduated with (class of 81, about 103 of us) who still are in Wilmington. But, I can say the same with my siblings, and have always felt that it is better when people do try to live other places, too.

As you say, you can always go back after a few years somewhere, if you want to. But, it is harder to return anywhere when gone for more than a few years - say ten. Things change, but more importantly, people change and they have their own friends they've formed relationships with over those years, and it doesn't work to pick up where you left off, or where things are at later.

I had a neighbor growing up in which there were 7 children. One has lived in Boston for over 25 years, one in California for many years, after a starting college and living in NYC for quite a few years before that. One is in Seattle, and before that in NYC for ten or so years. And, one returned to Delaware after many years in NYC, and a few are in Delaware. I would consider this having done well. And, the one in California has always liked the environment. Seattle, too.

There are many places out there. I never thought I would have lived in Minnesota for 13 years and then New Mexico, or Nebraska. But, I did. And, in a way, I feel I am better off for having tried these things. Sort of like my graduate work - never completed the degree, but I did complete 6 classes and at least I don't have to worry about wondering what things would have been like, since I did try those avenues. Many in life wonder and always wonder had they done something else at some point in their life.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:43 PM

656 posts, read 1,356,838 times
Thank you! I'm sure your niece and nephew will do fine, UD has a great nursing program and it sounds like your nephew is already starting to network himself well!

Yeah that is one of the problems with LA right now is the economy in California in general. I know they have been going on hiring freezes and taking salary cuts so we will see how that turns out.

However Ft. Worth and most of Texas is doing great economy wise so that option is always nice and it seems the cost of living is awesome there as well.

What did you think of New Mexico, I always thought that looked like an interesting place and I would love to visit Santa Fe at sometime. Yeah I much rather say I got to experience a lot of different things than to just wonder what could have been...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Vistas View Post
Congratulations of you graduation. I have quite a few relatives who went there, and a niece and nephew who recently attended. The niece graduated in 2008 with a BS in Nursing, passed her boards first time around, and is now working in Maryland. The nephew is a senior in Marketing and Broadcast Journalism, helps run the UDEL radio station, interviewed Colin Powell recently, and is doing quite well.

Do you watch the COPS show? It could probably give you some good insight into law enforcement in other cities. No doubt LA is nice, and I'm sure very interesting as a cop. I do know, however, that the economy has hit very hard there, but now housing may be a good option.

Dallas/Ft. Worth area has always been nice, from what I understand.

You would find LA weather very decent. Dallas/Ft. Worth a little humid and some ice storms but not what you have lived with in Delaware. You would find these places drier than Delaware; in fact, anything west of the Mississippi is drier.

I think what has surprised me is that there are a good many people I graduated with (class of 81, about 103 of us) who still are in Wilmington. But, I can say the same with my siblings, and have always felt that it is better when people do try to live other places, too.

As you say, you can always go back after a few years somewhere, if you want to. But, it is harder to return anywhere when gone for more than a few years - say ten. Things change, but more importantly, people change and they have their own friends they've formed relationships with over those years, and it doesn't work to pick up where you left off, or where things are at later.

I had a neighbor growing up in which there were 7 children. One has lived in Boston for over 25 years, one in California for many years, after a starting college and living in NYC for quite a few years before that. One is in Seattle, and before that in NYC for ten or so years. And, one returned to Delaware after many years in NYC, and a few are in Delaware. I would consider this having done well. And, the one in California has always liked the environment. Seattle, too.

There are many places out there. I never thought I would have lived in Minnesota for 13 years and then New Mexico, or Nebraska. But, I did. And, in a way, I feel I am better off for having tried these things. Sort of like my graduate work - never completed the degree, but I did complete 6 classes and at least I don't have to worry about wondering what things would have been like, since I did try those avenues. Many in life wonder and always wonder had they done something else at some point in their life.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Thank you! I'm sure your niece and nephew will do fine, UD has a great nursing program and it sounds like your nephew is already starting to network himself well!

Yeah that is one of the problems with LA right now is the economy in California in general. I know they have been going on hiring freezes and taking salary cuts so we will see how that turns out.

However Ft. Worth and most of Texas is doing great economy wise so that option is always nice and it seems the cost of living is awesome there as well.

What did you think of New Mexico, I always thought that looked like an interesting place and I would love to visit Santa Fe at sometime. Yeah I much rather say I got to experience a lot of different things than to just wonder what could have been...
I lived in Albuquerque from January 2008 to September 2009. And, indications are very strong I will return to Albuquerque the end of April 2010, after the tax season, since I expect to work in it in Omaha (experience in field).

Although New Mexico is among the poorest of the states, it is an interesting place indeed. And, you come, are enchanted by it, then eventually can become entrapped if you stay long enough. I left since my job was being phased out and was a little bitter over some things that had gone on in the previous 12 months. I wanted out for awhile. And, I found out that finding work anywhere else at 46 years is not any easier than in Albuquerque, and I did pass up good opportunities in Albuquerque, so I probably had better chances there.

Albuquerque has its problems - people say there is a lot of crime there, but I do feel there is crime everywhere, too. It can be a bit of the wild west and somewhat laid back, but I like the area since I can be, within five minutes, on a hiking trail up and over rocks and boulders and feel hundreds of miles from a city, yet I would only be under five. Now since I'm back in the Midwest, I am reminded how stiff people can be here and somewhat closed - like small towns. It is not for me, and despite the problems in New Mexico, I want to go back.

I visited other places and you get a real sense of different culture and geography in the other places. I was in Santa Fe a few times, but I was more interested in the terrain for visiting than in the downtown areas. I'm not very into the art scene in Santa Fe. It has become over rated and trendy. It's not the city I would want to be in to live. But, it is a place to be visited. I know Santa Fe has good history, too. I will spend more time there in the future, to see the scenery better and the history. But, Santa Fe and Taos are somewhat touristy now.

I can tell you this - Albuquerque may be very interested in hiring for their police force. And, since you would have a four year degree, that would be extra special for them.

As my tag line states, the grass isn't greener; it's just different grass, and that applies to most places I've discovered. But, I do know what turns me on, and what doesn't, and for those reasons I will return to New Mexico.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:08 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,597,648 times
DelMarVa peninsula is the leading chicken growing area in the USA. Mega Industrial animal farming does nasty things to environment, water quality and cancer rate. They feed to chickens all kinds of things that would make a Dupont chem. plant envious. Eventually all that bonanza reach ground waters, rivers and bay. Chicken industry alone is a sufficient reason to avoid DE.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Chicken industry alone is a sufficient reason to avoid DE.
WHAT THE CLUCK ...???

Old 11-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
DelMarVa peninsula is the leading chicken growing area in the USA. Mega Industrial animal farming does nasty things to environment, water quality and cancer rate. They feed to chickens all kinds of things that would make a Dupont chem. plant envious. Eventually all that bonanza reach ground waters, rivers and bay. Chicken industry alone is a sufficient reason to avoid DE.
Considering what I've learned recently about Delaware, I don't think I'd want to return to live again. My nephew did mention that Delaware City is really bad.

Every city/state has its problems, and people always talk about the crime in Albuquerque, where I'll return in about four months. But, I was in that city for 20 months recently, and didn't find crime directed at me - no car break ins, no muggings. I think people need to practice safety a lot of places. But, the air there is relatively clean - people are supposed to have their cars tested for emissions every two years. And, while there is a problem with water availability, I don't believe what we have is a cause for concern.

However, I never did consider the chemical waste problems in the Delaware I grew up in. Apparently, there has been a lot more activity in the recent decades.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:54 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,676,819 times
If you feel moving to De is a mistake........then dont' move here.

It's real simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware