Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 AM

381 posts, read 1,365,462 times

Advertisements

We've only purchased houses in VA. Not sure how the two states compare. Aside from the escrow and transfer fees, what do typical closing costs run for a 350K house with 20% down?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Won't this depend on what you negotiate when you make an offer? We haven't bought a house in 12 years but the points and who paid what was part of the negotiation, not really anything to do with a state per se.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Won't this depend on what you negotiate when you make an offer? We haven't bought a house in 12 years but the points and who paid what was part of the negotiation, not really anything to do with a state per se.
Well, we didn't negotiate any because my husband's relo package pays closing costs. However, we pay them out of pocket and they reimburse us.

I've always understood that fees are different from area to area.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
I've found that they are different house to house, no matter what state (and we're on house #4) but maybe a local realtor can chime in.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrynh View Post
We've only purchased houses in VA. Not sure how the two states compare. Aside from the escrow and transfer fees, what do typical closing costs run for a 350K house with 20% down?
Thanks!
I know you said 'aside from the escrow and transfer fees' .....But, in a nutshell - Buyer and Seller each have to pay Delaware Transfer Tax, 1 1/2%. Check w/an attorney if seller offers to pay DTT on behalf of buyer. (Armx....??? is that permissible?) In addition, towns also collect a transfer fee, and each jurisdiction may be different. Seller pays for the termite inspection (estimate $150) and for preparation of the deed. I just sold one of my properties and doc prep was $150, but it is figured as per page. It's typical for sellers to pay closing costs on the buyers' behalf, but that is all within the negotiation process. Depending upon where you get your mortgage, points/junk fees vary per lender. That's the big one.

Last edited by rdlr; 01-21-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM

604 posts, read 2,010,592 times
OP has a very specific question - answer to which should be in her possesssion , by way of the GFE from the mortgage Co. I am associated with a lender, too. The escrows and transfer taxes are the most stable numbers most people on the forum - not involved in the transaction - can come up with .. and the rest of the numbers involved in the closing costs depend on so many variables - any guess will be just that and not very helpful. Like rdlr wrote the closing costs also depend on which jurisdiction (which county, incorporated area or not, public sewer or not) the property is located ...e.g. Kent Co. properties - the survey is paid for by the Seller not so in NCCo Therefore, in spite of the same template contract, the actual agreement will determine the costs borne by each party.l

My initial advice to OP is that s/he check the GFE...

Old 01-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
OP has a very specific question - answer to which should be in her possesssion , by way of the GFE from the mortgage Co. I am associated with a lender, too. The escrows and transfer taxes are the most stable numbers most people on the forum - not involved in the transaction - can come up with .. and the rest of the numbers involved in the closing costs depend on so many variables - any guess will be just that and not very helpful. Like rdlr wrote the closing costs also depend on which jurisdiction (which county, incorporated area or not, public sewer or not) the property is located ...e.g. Kent Co. properties - the survey is paid for by the Seller not so in NCCo Therefore, in spite of the same template contract, the actual agreement will determine the costs borne by each party.l

My initial advice to OP is that s/he check the GFE...
Thank you. That's pending, lol. Just trying to stay ahead of the game!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM

So you do have the GFE ...then what's the problem ...can't figure it out?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
So you do have the GFE ...then what's the problem ...can't figure it out?
No. The GFE is pending.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 AM

If you applied for a mortgage, the mortgage co. has to give you a GFE as part of the application package. You may not have a copy of all the papers you signed when you applied or you did not know that the GFE is part of the package. Please check your paperwork ... I applaud you for trying to be ahead of the curve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware