Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:33 AM

55 posts, read 268,186 times

Advertisements

For years my wife has had periodontal disease and now the dentist told her she needs to have the teeth removed, and have upper and lower partials put in.
Since then she has become VERY depressed. She says she's embarassed and ashamed because she has to have this done.
I have tried talking to her but she still stays in the depressed mood, I don't know what to do now.
Can someone that has had this done PLEASE help her with this and give her some idea of what will happen and hopefully bring her back to the way she was.
Thank you for your time and advice.
A concerned husband
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:44 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
This is something the periodontist or staff at the office really should address. I agree that if she knows what will happen and what to expect from the outcome of the process it should reduce her anxiety. The depression and self blame is self defeating. It is what it is and moving forward will help her health in the long term. My father faced this and it taught me to take very good care of my teeth and gums if I don't want to face the same fate (and to stay away from sweets).

If nothing else she can use her experience to help other family members. Glass can be half-full if she chooses to see it that way.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydog1 View Post
For years my wife has had periodontal disease and now the dentist told her she needs to have the teeth removed, and have upper and lower partials put in.
Since then she has become VERY depressed. She says she's embarassed and ashamed because she has to have this done.
I have tried talking to her but she still stays in the depressed mood, I don't know what to do now.
Can someone that has had this done PLEASE help her with this and give her some idea of what will happen and hopefully bring her back to the way she was.
A concerned husband

The only alternative I can think of is implants, which are very expensive. Implants require healthy bone tissue in the jaw, and some people who have taken medications to prevent osteoporosis are not candidates. A good quality partial should closely approximate her natural teeth, particularly in color, and other people need not know unless she wishes to tell them.

Has she seen a periodontal expert or just your family dentist? Perhaps a second opinion would help ease her mind that the recommendation of the first dentist is valid.

Her greatest fear could be that you will no longer find her attractive. Your concern speaks worlds in that department. Just tell her you love her, not her teeth!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
A concerned husband
How many teeth will they take out? Will they take them all or leave some?

I will be in this boat one day & can tell you that my teeth are a huge downer for me right now. Back in 2006 I had a discolored front tooth temporary capped. My dentist at the time did it as a favor to me to get me through my dad's viewing. I was then going to have the work finished. I started at another dentist because my insurance changed & to my knowledge my caps were being made; come to find out after we moved & I switched dentists that my teeth were not prepped right.

Even though I'm going to be capping my front teeth, I will eventually need everything pulled just like my dad did.

When they did my dad's, they pulled 4 teeth at a time, every 4 weeks IIRC. Every tooth in his mouth was pulled. Honestly, I have no clue why this was even done because he's had good teeth all of his life, 1 filling. Sorry but I do not remember it as being a pleasant experience although he did not complain. What he complained about were the new "teeth" & how horrible it was to wear them. The ones he had, had the roof of the mouth & it affected his taste buds. When he ate he used to take them out because he was that miserable.

As a woman, not having nice teeth is depressing. I hate to even open my mouth to smile. While my teeth are not crack/chipped, they are horrible looking in color. Mine has been put off due to my hub having cancer; thanks for reminding me that I need to get back to the dentist.

I agree about showing her extra love. When you have bad teeth you do not feel attractive. I guess it's like a man going bald.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 AM

55 posts, read 268,186 times
Thank all of you who have given your opinion, I guess it helped, at least she seems alittle better today. Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I feel bad for anyone having to have this done. Implants would be the way to go, if one can afford it.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:07 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
A concerned husband

I've dealt with having teeth replaced, partials and now full replacements. Tell her through it all, I've never had one bad social experience. I even dated an oral surgeon that not once made mention of my partials. My teeth never fell out once during our dinning outings. It's boils down to self acceptance plus the motto don't ask don't tell. .

There will be a period of refraining from smiling like a jack-o-lantern, at least till the teeth are replaced. Besides, there's nothing wrong with a closed mouth smiled when done right. Closed mouth smiles can be sort of mysterious even sexy when done just so and they can be so darn cute. Note the various smily face expressions: besides the following looks kinda goofy anyway:

It's not a fault to have a health issue out of your control, just one of life's little hurdles. Tell her to pm me if she needs some encouragement or pics of my dentured smile. So far my absentee teeth haven't hendered my being flirted with by young and old alike, but I may use the old pull out the dentures in public to deture some from annoying the heck out of me in the future.

I will admit, I hate going to the dentist, so I'm kind of happy that I am through with the whole process of hearing drills and feeling needles as of May of this year. Having the dentures aren't perfection, but I'm happy.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
A concerned husband
Recent medical research has show that the mouth (or the condition of) is very important to overall health. Many bad germs ,virus etc. can enter directly into the blood stream in the mouth so getting her mouth in good shape will be a huge plus as time goes by.

Share this with her so that she will know that doing this is a very good thing to do now.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:26 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Recent medical research has show that the mouth (or the condition of) is very important to overall health. Many bad germs ,virus etc. can enter directly into the blood stream in the mouth so getting her mouth in good shape will be a huge plus as time goes by.

Share this with her so that she will know that doing this is a very good thing to do now.
Good point!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I had all but one of my teeth pulled 20 years ago when I was in my early 40s. Prior to that, my teeth were awful. Several crowns and fillings, one chipped tooth and then one front tooth I lost when I skied through a fence (don't ask). I had peridontal disease too but was petrified of dentists after my experience as a youth.

Originally, my husband wanted me to have dental surgery and try to save what teeth I could. I didn't want to. I wanted nice teeth with as little pain as possible. I opted for dentures, and it was the best thing I ever did. The one tooth I kept was to help anchor the bottom plate, and I recommend that if she has any that are salvageable. I was fine after a couple minor adjustments when I first got the dentures.

I now smile all the time and no longer feel self-conscious. Also solved the problem of teeth grinding at night. I just take them out!

Tell your wife for me that it's a good thing and not to be embarrassed. As for that article on the condition of the mouth being very important to overall health, the dentist who pulled my teeth told me that if I hadn't gotten them out when I did, I could have been dead in a couple of years from all the poison in my system. It's nothing to fool around with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health