Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
So if you happen to have bad teeth its either because you never took care of them, or you're on meth.

I suppose that's the pat answer for those you can afford dental care to those who can't.
I guess you didn't read the OP. These answers are in response to the OP's question. The question is two-fold:

Do you notice an increase in 20-somethings with missing teeth?
and if so - do you think it's because of drugs?

Some of us are saying - yes, we notice it but no, we wouldn't put the blame exclusively on drugs, because there are 20-somethings with missing teeth, who don't do drugs. So it must be something else. And...

combine that with...

the NUMBER ONE CAUSE of bad teeth - is lack of proper dental hygiene and regular checkups.

So if you have good hygeine, AND regular checkups, AND you aren't using meth, then you are LESS LIKELY to have bad teeth, as someone who has bad hygiene, AND/OR irregular/no checkups, AND/OR uses meth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
Methadrine is a toxic substance...I remember this substance from 35 years ago..It made cocaine and heroin look like mother's milk. I don't know why people keep bringing up the meth issue...it is rare...Aging and simple wear destroy teeth in time...mechanical repairs are a must. Not wanting to sound anti anything - but a certain group realized that the teeth are the pearls of the physical soul and we are extorted by this group of jerks who specialize in the repair and restoration of what naturally wears out. Meth is a non starter in these regards....Dentistry is a very lucrative enterprise.

One of my younger brothers broke his two front teeth as a child and eventually had some bridge work done..It lasted for many years then finally wore out...He walked around looking like a stupid hill billy for a couple of months...Then he dished out close to 5000 dollars and had new bridge work installed...Now he is presentable again....Five thousand dollars...What average person can afford that?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
So if you happen to have bad teeth its either because you never took care of them, or you're on meth.

I suppose that's the pat answer for those you can afford dental care to those who can't.
No, I don't think anyone is claiming that bad teeth are caused by those two things only. We are saying that is often the case.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Methadrine is a toxic substance...I remember this substance from 35 years ago..It made cocaine and heroin look like mother's milk. I don't know why people keep bringing up the meth issue...it is rare...Aging and simple wear destroy teeth in time...mechanical repairs are a must. Not wanting to sound anti anything - but a certain group realized that the teeth are the pearls of the physical soul and we are extorted by this group of jerks who specialize in the repair and restoration of what naturally wears out. Meth is a non starter in these regards....Dentistry is a very lucrative enterprise.

One of my younger brothers broke his two front teeth as a child and eventually had some bridge work done..It lasted for many years then finally wore out...He walked around looking like a stupid hill billy for a couple of months...Then he dished out close to 5000 dollars and had new bridge work installed...Now he is presentable again....Five thousand dollars...What average person can afford that?
According to published reports there are more than 24.7 million methamphetamine users in the world. Sounds like a lot to me.

In any case, as for the aged, here in my area of Florida, there are many free dental programs offered to both the aged and low income. One can have all their teeth removed and plates put in for free, so it really is not necessary to have bridges and expensive work done. Children can have their teeth cleaned and fillings done, all at no charge. The work is performed by interning dental students.

I am retired and no longer have dental insurance, although my Humana Readers Digest Program does give me two cleanings a year and provides for tooth extraction at no cost to me. I happened to see some small print on the bottom of my card regarding dental, called and that is what I was told...they don't advertise that benefit, shhh it's a big secret!

I do agree that the dental industry is a real cash cow. I needed some caps replaced and other work done, the first quote was for 22K, passed on that, found another source, total cost was $6,500, still outrageous, but better.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
I think its mostly not having checkups,and diet.
My mom never took us to the dentist,and I'm not sure why. We had Medicaid.
Also,she really didn't teach us about proper dental care. I still have wisdom teeth growing.

But the biggest damage done to my teeth came from diet sodas. When I was dieting I used them to get rid of hunger pains,and they did huge damage to my teeth within 3 months. I had to get 3 crowns within 6months.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 AM

The bare facts are that dentistry is just to damned expensive. Here in Toronto if you are disabled - what ever that means...They will repair your teeth. If you are on welfare they will pull out your teeth. If you are a poor family with children they will provide total dental care for the children..but not for the adults. Teeth are very important. You are judges socially by your teeth. You are classed as either middle class or upper class or LOW class by the health of your mouth.

Some how years ago the dental industry became an abusive cash grab. Dentist will not except a welfare payment for basic work...loser or second rate dentists will except the meager amount provided by the state. The reason dentist will not deal with the poor is because they want to keep the prices high.

You would imagine in socialized Canada that dental care would be covered and in that coverage a fair social and economic playing field would exist for all citizens. I know a documentary film maker who did a lot of work in Haiti - She said that squads of dentists went down there to do "charitable" work. She also mentioned she did not see one single dentist do a restorative filling or crown..They ripped out the teeth of hundreds in a willy nilly manner...Poor people were not worth the effort or expense of real dental care. Dentistry is about money...also there are few dentists who have real skill and talent...must are slip shod butchers.

I remember back when I had a lot of cash - I spent over 6 thousand dollars on evaluations and cleanings...it was to prepare my teeth for the best restoration money could buy...I ran out of money and owed the dentist 200 dollars...I was hounded by the creep for months and the account went into collection...You would think that guy would have been happy with the 6 grand.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Some people are blessed with strong straight teeth...Others have inherited weaker teeth and bones. My wife's brother and mother both have had hip replacements at a young age..There teeth are also weak. In my family the teeth are strong and straight ---- I have lost a few...mother had a business and there was a candy department. I ate candy like it was going out of style...Because my parents were old school Russian immigrants - their mentality as far as dentist was to take you for care if you had a tooth ache. By that time it was too late. The other destroyer of teeth is CIGARETTE SMOKING...

It is not about the nicotine or the tar that might stain teeth. There is another factor...If you smoke you raise the natural temperature of your mouth..this leads to an unnatural growth of certain bacteria...This bacteria will feast on your gums and cause them to recede...Combine this with age and you have that old fashioned term "long in the tooth"........One of the dangers of smoking is not just the typical onslaught of the usual diseases..but tooth destruction....If I would have known I was to live this long - I would have done everything in my power to preserve teeth.

What is left of them is presentable..but it is getting to the point where I find eating has become a very creative effort....My warning to youth is- You live in a world where you can keep your teeth for a life time...no matter what the cost - DO IT.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
According to published reports there are more than 24.7 million methamphetamine users in the world. Sounds like a lot to me.

In any case, as for the aged, here in my area of Florida, there are many free dental programs offered to both the aged and low income. One can have all their teeth removed and plates put in for free, so it really is not necessary to have bridges and expensive work done. Children can have their teeth cleaned and fillings done, all at no charge. The work is performed by interning dental students.

I am retired and no longer have dental insurance, although my Humana Readers Digest Program does give me two cleanings a year and provides for tooth extraction at no cost to me. I happened to see some small print on the bottom of my card regarding dental, called and that is what I was told...they don't advertise that benefit, shhh it's a big secret!

I do agree that the dental industry is a real cash cow. I needed some caps replaced and other work done, the first quote was for 22K, passed on that, found another source, total cost was $6,500, still outrageous, but better.

That is AWESOME for people who live in your area of Florida.

I am in San Antonio, Tx. My mother (age 70) had to save and save for her problem teeth to be pulled and to get dentures and then the dentures never have fit right and they hurt her.

I think there are programs for the homeless. Some of the homeless anyway. Being low income though, is not sufficient. There are programs through the dental schools, but they only take you if you have a certain type of problem they need patients for. I filled out an application before at one clinic in particular. A YEAR later I got a reply in the mail, "Sorry, you don't meet the criteria for the type of patients we are currently in need of..." basically, call us if you develop this other type of problem.

With the low income clinic I have been able to go to on a sliding scale, if I went the dentures route I'd be paying $40 per tooth just to get them extracted. For the 28 I still have, anyway. The thing is, my teeth are not "bad enough" to take that kind of action but sadly it is the cheapest option, even though my teeth could be repaired... so I am holding on until I can hopefully obtain dental insurance again and get stuff done slowly but without resorting to pulling them all.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Interesting how this thread has morphed into it being all the fault of
dentists that people have missing teeth. How many people who can't
"afford" dental care seem to be able to afford cigarettes, or large quantities
of alcohol, or a big screen TV, or $50 seats at live sports events, or more
trendy clothes than they need, or any number of similar things?

And how many of those people have been penny wise and pound foolish by
skipping the twice annual cleanings which could save them lots in the long run
by preventing tooth loss in the first place?

Lots of people are ignorant and foolish and that has a lot to do with tooth
loss. We all have our own priorities.
You are usually on point, ER, with most of what you say.

This time, I really have to disagree with you. My wife recently had a dental implant. Total cost was over $3,000 for one tooth. At this price it doesn't surprise me that people have missing teeth.

Dentists need to find a way to simplify their procedures. They need to be quicker and thereby less expensive. The cost of the implanted tooth itself also needs to come down.

The cynical part of me is seeing implants as a huge money-making scam for the dental industry.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,211,031 times
Going to the Dentist does cost alot but in between visits you need ot take care of your teeth. My sister is a good example. I am in my 40's and 2 years older than her and have all my teeth while she has dentures. I have always brushed and flossed while she didn't and she ate poorly, drank excessive alcohol and is still smoking cigarettes. When we were kids she had fewer cavities and we both had braces.
You simply have to take care of what you have.
I also think that many younger people that have missing teeth might have had them knocked out playing risky sports and then some in fist fights and some because of drug use.
Parents can be to blame by not making their kids brush their teeth. It worked for me but not my sis. Sadly the lessons are passed down and my sisters 3 year old had to have her 2 front teeth pulled since they were rotting out of her head.
Dental work can be expensive but my smile is huge for my self confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health