Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markelsteph View Post
Blazer.........I am in Pa. and I got the implants in Sept. 2009. I really think that IF I wanted to........I would totally have a malpractice case. The last x-ray he did was in Oct 2010, yet he called in 8 anti-biotic prescriptions from then to the present. Also, I read that implants should be cleaned 3x per year by the dentist and he NEVER even mentioned having them cleaned, even with all the infections. (They have a special tool that cleans without scratching the implant). Forget that, just take this year......He prescribed me anti-biotic in Jan and Feb and then saw me three times the middle of Feb and never looked, checked or mentioned it. Just fitted me for the perm. plate. Then, when I mentioned it..........he looked and said oh yeah......they have to come out. Then he did an xray and confirmed that. Also, I got the implants removed on June 1st and today, July 22, I have huge swollen, hard masses at each implant site........too painful to wear my plate, too painful to eat.....diabetes out of control due to not being able to eat but soft food etc.........I am just saying that I have a pain and suffering lawsuit if I wanted to do that. But I am too nice and he has children etc.
The reason I asked about your state and dates is that there is in PA a 2-year "Discovery" Statute of Limitations. This means that you have 2 years from the date you reasonably discover (or "should know") there is a problem with the implants to file a lawsuit or make a non litigated settlement. From your posts it seemed to me you were being strung along. I suspect his malpractice carrier is aiding this so that you get to a point where you will be barred from any legal action.

Take this advice- go see a medical malpractice attorney now and see to it you don't (or haven't) blown the statute of limitations. Time is ticking away and it may already be too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 15,687 times
My boyfriend just got dentures in and was wondering what kind of dinners would be good for him to eat. Any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynwaltman View Post
My boyfriend just got dentures in and was wondering what kind of dinners would be good for him to eat. Any suggestions?
Depends on what kind of dentures. Also, what has his dentist advised? Always follow your doctors advice.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 PM

16 posts, read 73,558 times
Wow...that is something that I never even thought about.......time limits!! THANK YOU for bringing that to my attention. You have been a wonderful help with my problem. I am going to make some calls tomorrow and schedule the consultation with one, maybe two diff lawyers and finally get the ball rolling. I will let you know how it goes........THANKS AGAIN.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 AM

Default Update, if anyone interested?

Well.....its been an interesting week!! First, I did speak to my dentist (well...his office manager returned my call) and she made me an offer of a $2000 refund! WHAT? Needless to say, I declined and we argued back and forth......she was trying to feel me out for him, as to the very least I would accept or what I wanted. At any rate, I got a DENTAL MALPRACTICE Attorney!! Yay!! Not an easy specialty to find in a lawyer, as far as I experienced! They are all Medical Malpractice and Injury Lawyers. This guy is actually a dental one, so I am very thankful to have found him. Also, I am seeing a periodontist on Monday, to see what is going on inside of my mouth!! Since the implants were removed (June 1st) and healed, I have hard, swollen "lumps" above each implant site (there are 4 sites) and it hurts to wear my plate. So, this has to be checked and addressed.
I am not sure that it is normal, could it still be infection in there? Or worse? I will find out Monday, so pray that it is OK> Thanks again to all who gave great advice and I will keep you updated as to the outcome of this horrendous dental procedure of mine!!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:
Well.....its been an interesting week!! First, I did speak to my dentist (well...his office manager returned my call) and she made me an offer of a $2000 refund! WHAT? Needless to say, I declined and we argued back and forth......she was trying to feel me out for him, as to the very least I would accept or what I wanted. At any rate, I got a DENTAL MALPRACTICE Attorney!! Yay!! Not an easy specialty to find in a lawyer, as far as I experienced! They are all Medical Malpractice and Injury Lawyers. This guy is actually a dental one, so I am very thankful to have found him. Also, I am seeing a periodontist on Monday, to see what is going on inside of my mouth!! Since the implants were removed (June 1st) and healed, I have hard, swollen "lumps" above each implant site (there are 4 sites) and it hurts to wear my plate. So, this has to be checked and addressed.
I am not sure that it is normal, could it still be infection in there? Or worse? I will find out Monday, so pray that it is OK> Thanks again to all who gave great advice and I will keep you updated as to the outcome of this horrendous dental procedure of mine!!

thanks for the update. Keep us posted. Hope the hard and swollen lumps can be remedied.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
Quote:
Hello. Can you guys give me some advice? I am 45 years old and a diabetic (type 1 and on insulin for 30 years). I let a dentist talk me into having my top teeth extracted, and mini-implants put in.......like a click-on plate. I now know that diabetics are not recommended to have this procedure, but the dentist told me that it would be fine, as long as my jaw bone was in good shape, which it was. But, healing and infection with diabetics is common. I ended up taking a $10,000 loan. So, in Sept., 2009, I had my top teeth extracted, metal posts inserted into my jaw bone (abutments) and a temporary plate put in. It wasnt until March, 2012 that I finally got the permanent plate! To now be worn as the mini-implant, clicked into the metal posts!! However, at that time, I had so much pain and infection after infection, that the dentist told me the implants (metal posts in my jawbone) had to be removed.
Only because I complained of constant pain and mentioned the infections (the office girls usually called in the anti-biotic when I called with an infection). Over that 2 1/2 years period, that he was making my final plate, I had probably 40-50 diff appointments (for fittings etc) and he NEVER took an x-ray or addressed my constant infections. I wanted my permanent plate to look exactly like the temp one that I orig got. Well........he just didnt get that!! He made a couple diff plates with big horse-teeth etc and I just kept saying "please make it just exactly like the one that I have"! Never even close. So, it went on for 2 1/2 years, time lost from work, pain and suffering, TIME WAITING IN THE WAITING ROOM and the cost of paying this loan every month, cost of all the anti-biotics and much more. Now, the implants are out, I never heard ONE WORD from him or his office about refund or what happens now. So, I wrote him a letter and tried to keep it professional, instead of confrontation , screaming and yelling in the office. He never answered my letter, which had my email addr, phone numbers and home address. He could have contacted me any of those ways. But, he did not. Therefore, I called there and got shunned from all the office girls , who obviously avoided my calls, also the dentist did as well. Finally, I went in there and was told that he was "working on it". Apparently, he is trying to figure the amt of the refund he was giving me, but quite clear that it wasnt going to be 100%. I understand he should be paid for his time but I already paid $5,400 in loan payments and still owe $6,500 over the next three years!!! All I have is no teeth and a regular plate, that I have to glue in everyday. That is all that I have ever had. So, what is fair? What should I get back? What is acceptable for me to take? Sorry for the long story!! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Stem cell therapy could offer new hope for defects and injuries to head, mouth

ANN ARBOR, Mich.—In the first human study of its kind, researchers found that using stem cells to re-grow craniofacial tissues—mainly bone—proved quicker, more effective and less invasive than traditional bone regeneration treatments.

Researchers from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry and the Michigan Center for Oral Health Research partnered with Ann Arbor-based Aastrom Biosciences Inc. in the clinical trial, which involved 24 patients who required jawbone reconstruction after tooth removal.

Patients either received experimental tissue repair cells or traditional guided bone regeneration therapy. The tissue repair cells, called ixmyelocel-T, are under development at Aastrom, which is a U-M spinout company.

Have no idea what that would cost.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,289 times
OP You need to consult a lawyer that will sue and work on a percentage.
You were given bad advice.
You were given bad service.
You suffered loss of time and money.
You suffered pain.
You have nothing to show for it.
No he does not deserve to be paid for his time.

You should sue for all you can get. This guy sound like a real charletan. He ripped you off and strung you along for 2 1/2 years.
Have no mercy on him; he had none for you.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Hello. Well thanks for the stem cell idea...it sounds promising, but I am sure too expensive and not covered by insurance. Also, I am in the midst of TRYING to prepare a malpractice case, I have a lawyer that specializes in "dental" malpractice. He sent me t0 a periodontist (this guy is considered an expert in this field). However, the periodontist cant finish his evaluation without seeing the x-rays that the Dentist-From-Hell took over that almost three year period. And "I" have to call there and get the x-rays. Also, the periodontist had a few things that he wanted to do to "fix" my gums and plate, to ease my current pain and discomfort. However, I would have to pay for it all and really dont have that kind of money. Even if I were to get it back in the end. I already paid $220 to the periodontist for the visit so far. I guess, because they still dont know if or how good the case is yet. Plus, I paid the other dentist and feel he should do all this work, based on my payment of $10,000 to him. But would never want him in my mouth again!!
Plus, now
that I dont have the implants, the plate, which was fitted to be worn WITH implants, does not fit now and in the end, I am going to need an entire new plate!! NOW what do I do? I have to get the x-rays from the lame dentist, in order for the lawyer to get a full report of the damages. And , If I call to get the x-rays, they will know that I am trying to sue and would ruin any relationship that we have left (which isnt much, but all I have at the moment) . On the other hand, he owes me alot of work still plus another plate.
I am so confused.
AND MY GUMS HURT!!! I am not sure if the lawsuit can go forward without the x-rays? How did my little mini implants cause so much heartache in my life? Anyone have any suggestions? I cant even think about it anymore, I am driving myself crazy!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 PM

Ask for a copy of your full record and request it within 2 weeks. Most states require doctors to provide records within a specified time period.

Next, although it seems as if you have a case, never count your chickens before they hatch. Everything you post on a social media board is discoverable by the doctor's attorney and calling him the 'doctor from hell' could boomerang on you. Try and be respectful. He had good intentions and possibly his work met the standard of care and things just went wrong as they sometimes do.

As to fixing your current problems, I wish I had an easy answer, but there just aren't any. You need to do the best you can. Do try and come up with the money for the perio work. That's foundational to the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health