Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM

80 posts, read 956,495 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a bottom tooth towards the back that is pretty much broke in half, the whole bottom part of the tooth is still there, but I only have half of the top part of the tooth (if this makes sense) it's been broke for about 2 years now. About 6 months ago it abcessed (I'm pretty sure that's what it was) it began swelling, I felt major discomfort and pain, it made my whole right side of my face swell. I don't have dental insurance so I went to the ER, they gave me antibiotic and painkiller, after days of antibiotics the swelling had barely went down and with the painkillers that didn't really help, they gave me Vicodin and I ended up getting loratabs from a family member and took those because the Vicodin didn't help much. I ended up going back to the ER and they gave me different antibiotics since the penicillin didn't work. After a couple days the swelling and pain went away. Since then it swells up every couple of weeks, I haven't had any pain, sometimes a small discomfort. So when that happens I will take either naproxen or penicillin. Well there's a bump under the tooth in my gums that's there, it don't hurt or anything I don't know if its just still swollen or there's something there. A local dentist is have patients come in first come first serve to get teeth pulled for free. I really need this tooth pulled because I know it can hurt me or even worse kill me. I'm terrified of needles and pain and dentists. Does getting a tooth pulled hurt? I'm scared its going to hurt even worse since there's that bump/swelling underneath my gum. If their doing it for free I'm sure their not going to take the time to do X-rays and all that, or do you think they would? I'm terrified but I need this done. Should I go to this dentist or should I wait and save the money and go to one that will make sure everything will be ok when pulling the tooth?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,641 times
Go get it pulled asap. Talk to the doctor about your anxiety. There are several ways of making sure you are comfortable.

I had a broken molar pulled using a combination of meds to sedate me. Fell asleep, tooth gone, no pain.

You are risking your health by waiting.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
So rather than bite the bullet, go to the dentist, and get it treated, you bothered the emergency room for something that isn't an emergency, twice, and now have to go to the dentist anyway.

Which is more important to you? Your health, or your bank account?

If you answered bank account, then just keep going to the ER, and let them do whatever it is they do, until your mouth rots and all your teeth fall out.

If you answered health, then go to the dentist and get it taken care of, even if it means you end up owing money becaues you don't have health insurance.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM

Well way to be a jerk. I'm sorry i have bills and cant afford to fork out money right then and there. I pay for my health insurance that does not cover dental which is WHY i went there because i knew they could give me antibiotics to get the swelling and pain to go away, when it happened I did call a dentist - And guess what i was told? I would have to schedule an appointment for them to look at it and give me the same medicine I got at the ER, why would I pay extra money that i couldnt afford at that moment just to get the same medicine from a dentist when I already pay health insurance? They advised me to do that since i DONT have dental insurance. BTW, I guess you obviously didn't know, if I wouldn't have went to the ER and instead went to a dentist, they would not have been able to pull the tooth out with it swollen and with an infection i was advised it had to quit abcessing before they could do anything. So you have no right to put me down because I went to the ER. In fact the dr at the ER told me to come back if i needed anything because she UNDERSTOOD that i didnt have dental insurance. In my original post I asked if I should TRUST a dentist that's offering this service for free and how bad a pulled tooth hurts. You obviously did not read where I said "I know I need to get this done. I know the dangers of it". You should really read before you post something stupid.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
If you have a current abcess in that tooth, which it sounds like you do (that is what the red bump is) they will likely give you an antibiotic before they pull it because it can be unsafe to pull a tooth with an abcess. Go to the dentist and get it taken care of. When they pull it they will numb it and then pull it and you won't feel pain when they pull it. I had a molar pulled years ago and it really barely hurt me afterwards and I didn't have any swelling or problems.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If you have a current abcess in that tooth, which it sounds like you do (that is what the red bump is) they will likely give you an antibiotic before they pull it because it can be unsafe to pull a tooth with an abcess. Go to the dentist and get it taken care of. When they pull it they will numb it and then pull it and you won't feel pain when they pull it. I had a molar pulled years ago and it really barely hurt me afterwards and I didn't have any swelling or problems.
Exactly. He's going to have to go to a dentist now - he could've avoided all the trouble of going to the ER - time out of his own personal time, possibly time off from work if he works - time away from his family, the inconvenience of having to go to the pharmacy how many times is it now? If he had just gone to the dentist in the first place. So now, he'll have the expense of the dentist AND the inconvenience of the previous visits to the ER.

If time is money, he's spent a LOT more already, than he would've spent if he'd just gone to the dentist in the first place.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM

I find this so funny.
First of all I am a SHE. No where in my post implied that I was male. THINK before replying.

Second - I haven't spent any extra money at all. You obviously still did not read these posts correctly, I pay my health insurance every month, and I'll break it down for you since you can't grasp what I've already said. I P A Y for MY health insurance, which I have through TRICARE/HUMANA. Meaning I go to a military hospital, meaning I pay my monthly insurance and that's it. I don't pay co pays, I don't pay extra for ER visits, and I don't pay for my medication. ALL of that is covered by what I pay monthly. SO that being said, I pay my health insurance every month and it covers all of that, my reasoning for going to the ER in the first place. I have not had to pay anything extra for that. And btw, even though I do work, I have a day job and days off, I don't necessarily have to miss work to do what I need to do. And I don't have to travel to a pharmacy, the dr gave me the meds right there in the hospital. DO you get it now? I mean seriously as I said in the first reply to you, seriously THINK before you post a reply.

I'm asking a SIMPLE question.
1. DOES IT HURT TO GET A TOOTH PULLED?
2. CAN I TRUST A DENTIST WHO IS DOING THIS FOR FREE?

Brokencrayola, Beth56 - thank you for reading my post properly and for your response in answering my questions. I'm getting this done regardless I just had 2 simple questions.
AnonChick - if you want to continue posting on this thread that I started, at least read the initial post & replies properly. You're way off track.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 PM

BTW for other people reading, it's a dentist office that is partnered with Dentistry from The Heart. If anyone has experience with them, I'm wanting to know if I can trust them and their free event to take proper precautions of pulling my tooth.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2007 View Post
I find this so funny.
First of all I am a SHE. No where in my post implied that I was male. THINK before replying.

Second - I haven't spent any extra money at all. You obviously still did not read these posts correctly, I pay my health insurance every month, and I'll break it down for you since you can't grasp what I've already said. I P A Y for MY health insurance, which I have through TRICARE/HUMANA. Meaning I go to a military hospital, meaning I pay my monthly insurance and that's it. I don't pay co pays, I don't pay extra for ER visits, and I don't pay for my medication. ALL of that is covered by what I pay monthly. SO that being said, I pay my health insurance every month and it covers all of that, my reasoning for going to the ER in the first place. I have not had to pay anything extra for that. And btw, even though I do work, I have a day job and days off, I don't necessarily have to miss work to do what I need to do. And I don't have to travel to a pharmacy, the dr gave me the meds right there in the hospital. DO you get it now? I mean seriously as I said in the first reply to you, seriously THINK before you post a reply.

I'm asking a SIMPLE question.
1. DOES IT HURT TO GET A TOOTH PULLED?
2. CAN I TRUST A DENTIST WHO IS DOING THIS FOR FREE?

Brokencrayola, Beth56 - thank you for reading my post properly and for your response in answering my questions. I'm getting this done regardless I just had 2 simple questions.
AnonChick - if you want to continue posting on this thread that I started, at least read the initial post & replies properly. You're way off track.
Since you didn't divulge any information - details that would clue anyone in, bluedevilz and I assumed you were a normal person, dealing with a normal situation, with only the criteria you provided for us to know about. Obviously, you neglected to tell us things we needed to know in order to make a more appropriate response - which is your problem. That was you, neglecting to explain the situation, and expecting people to answer you based on incomplete information, and getting pissy when our answer didn't match what you wanted to hear, because YOU chose not to give the details. And I don't assume anyone is anything. I refer to people as male, unless I have reason to refer to them as female. If you wanted people to refer to you as a SHE, you should've specified. THINK before you post a reply.

And - if you don't like the answers people give you on the internet, don't ask questions on the internet.

1.Yes, it hurts to have a tooth pulled.
2. My dentist was my grandfather. I got ALL of my dental care for free. I trusted MY dentist. He's dead now, so I wouldn't trust him with much anymore. Free doesn't equate with trustworthiness, negative or positive.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM

I honestly didn't think having to explain my medical insurance situation would be key information to answering a question as simple as "does it hurt?"

You're right, I didn't like your answer, because you didn't give any answer at all, until now. Instead of answering you made a big deal about going to the ER.
The fact that I went into detail about the tooth should have been enough.

But I will apologize - I am sorry - next time if I ever ask a question such as this, I will be sure to include how my medical insurance works, and the reasoning as to why I don't have dental insurance, or going to the ER. I failed to realize that that information is key into answering a simple question based on someone else's experience having a tooth pulled. I did not know that such important criteria about insurance & ER visits determine the answer about if something hurts or not.

My apologies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health