Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 11,188 times

Advertisements

I had a tooth extraction done on Monday (4 days ago). It was my bottom back tooth. It was a difficult extraction it took 45 minutes to get it out. Got the tooth out in pieces. I don't smoke but I do drink from a straw. I know its bad but I didn't think about it at first I just thought I was good for not smoking lol. Anyways, 4 days later and my ear hurts and it still hurts. The pain isn't super severe, I would say on a scale of 1-10 without paid meds its like a 7. But I feel like on Day 4 the pain should be lessening up. I attached a picture for you guys, sorry for having you look at my gross mouth. But I was wondering if there was a way to tell by this picture if I have dry socket or not. I went back to the dentist today and he told me that I didn't and it looks fine but I don't know what I'm looking for honestly. thank you for the replies in advance.
i've also been using a syringe filled with warm salt water for to irrigate the hole
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps7f60c7cd.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
It looks like you're irritating it, which is preventing it from healing as quickly as it should heal. Stop using a straw. And stop using a syringe. Use salt water to *rinse* your mouth (take a big sip and swish it in your mouth with your mouth closed, then spit it back out) not to aim and shoot liquid with directed pressure onto an open wound.

Does the site itself still hurt, or is it just a pain around your ear area? That spot is near the TMJ, so you might just be experiencing soreness from having to prop it open while having the tooth extracted. It doesn't look red, so it -probably- isn't infected. But if you start smelling anything foul in your mouth, or the taste inside your mouth is off, or you notice a discharge oozing up from the hole, get to the dentist asap to have him check for infection.

Also - no popcorn for another week, minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health