Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

The fixed Picture is not much different then the first picture. I will take a picture of it soon and post it on here. The dentist trimmed off some of the denture and made it fit my gum tighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 11:27 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,697 times
Did it help? Often help with the gag reflex it is the posterior portion that is trimmed, so that instead of being so "straight across" at the end of the denture it us more of a "u shape" and the denture does not extend so far on the palate.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Did it help? Often help with the gag reflex it is the posterior portion that is trimmed, so that instead of being so "straight across" at the end of the denture it us more of a "u shape" and the denture does not extend so far on the palate.
Yes it fits much better but I still get sick but not as bad as before. I for the first time slept with it for two hours.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,697 times
You can live with it a few days and see if it becomes something you get used to. If not, go back to the dentist for another adjustment. The dentist/lab will often prefer to do a series of "small" adjustments until they get corrected, instead of doing one "big" adjustment and risk overdoing it.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 AM

2 posts, read 13,647 times
iam suppose to get denture on top but only have 5 teeth to pull but I have the same issue bad and sensitve gag reflex. I wonder if you can put something on the denture to stop gaging so much.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 PM

I trimmed the denture off in the back and it help some.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbirds View Post
iam suppose to get denture on top but only have 5 teeth to pull but I have the same issue bad and sensitve gag reflex. I wonder if you can put something on the denture to stop gaging so much.
I'm still having gaging problems even after I trimmed a big section off. I will take a picture of it, Green color is bubble gum to try to get rid of bad taste.
Attached Thumbnails
New Dentures making me sick.-img_0507.jpg   New Dentures making me sick.-img_0508.jpg  

Last edited by JD59; 03-17-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,204 times
If you have a gag reflex, you will gag whether or not the denture is made correctly. If the denture is long it can cause gagging issues, more often a sore throat too(more on the lower). If the denture was made correctly, it is necessary that it be put in a very specific place. yes you can be off a littler either way, and you can remove a little. But I don't recommend arbitrarily removing some of the back of the denture. Your dentist should try minor adjustments. He should also have known if you have a gag reflex from all the impression used to make the denture. Also when they tried in the denture base it should have been adjusted to make you comfortable. If you didn't have any of these steps done, and or the office won't try to help you, you made a big mistake for sure. Most people's mouths aren't as asymmetrical as yours is, as it looks like you took way too much off one side, as well as cutting off the extension you really need for the back of the denture.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 PM

This is my top teeth only. I have all my bottom real teeth. The Gag reflex comes and goes and I have family with the same problem with gag and they have told me I must wear them till I get over the problem like they did. I've been sleeping with them in at night.

Thanks, John

Old 03-19-2014, 02:12 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
This is my top teeth only. I have all my bottom real teeth. The Gag reflex comes and goes and I have family with the same problem with gag and they have told me I must wear them till I get over the problem like they did. I've been sleeping with them in at night.

Thanks, John
I wonder if an implant supported denture might help you? I'm not well versed in Dentures but I wonder if having it be more stable in your mouth would help to curb the gagging? Just a thought….

And my RDH tip for the day: If you choose to sleep in your denture, please make sure to take them out for at least 30 minutes per day to allow your gum tissues to rest and to clean them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health