Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Update - I spoke with the dentist, and he said it can take "up to 6 months" for the crown to settle into place adjacent to the gum. A nice way to make me wait for 6 months..... I will see him in a couple months for my next cleaning, and push him then. Meanwhile, I have found another dentist, and I think I will see him before then to get an opinion first.

Thank you for all of your help and advice.

Did you find out what it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 11:15 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Thanks so much you guys for sharing your experiences in opinions - they are so helpful. Really... thanks a lot.

I am planning to call the dentist and possibly see him again. Just was hoping to have a little knowledge from others' experiences first, to know if my expectations are fair. I didn't know if crowns could be adjusted at this point, and thought that maybe there was supposed to be ?some gap...

I hesitate to see another dentist/doc, as I would rather not pay for it.... I've already laid out a lot of $$. If anyone should fix it, the first dentist should. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but I dread having to ask him to fix it...... it is kind of uncomfortable with this dentist, and I had already planned not to go back to him again. He is rushed, irritable and made so many mistakes on the billing. He had to reimburse me $200 by the end, and I had to resubmit part of the claim back to the insurance company because he coded it improperly so they denied it.... and he didn't "understand" what he did wrong. The dentist does his own billing and does a crappy job.

I compare going to my dentist like going to a car mechanic.... I feel helpless since this isn't my area of expertise, often the dentist/mechanic is a bit condescending and doesn't explain things well.... and then you have to always wonder whether you are being taken advantage of. Just hate it....

The crown looks ok in shape, although the color match isn't great. I hadn't realized until after I read about crowns later what an "art" it is.... The crown is very white near the "bottom" part closest to the gumline (more white then the other teeth), so it "jumps" out at you when you look at it and actually makes the gap more obvious. Just unfortunate....
This is exactly why it is so important to find a dentist you like and trust. When I moved from Georgia I gave up such a dentist and was worried about finding one in TN. However, following some recommendations on Next Door, I have found a practice I like very much. They don't push unneeded work. The dentist comes in smiling, making pleasantries and always shakes my hand. In fact I was there Monday for a cleaning and discussed a small area where a filling met my tooth that had gotten some staining. The hygienist though maybe the dentist could just polish it out, but the dentist said that wouldn't work because the stain had gone behind the filling. The dentist said that he could redo that small area of filling, but didn't push it. I said that I wanted to go ahead and schedule it. I went in to see him this morning. It was a very small area to replace. The dentist was his usual friendly self. When he was done, he told the assistant to charge me a reduced fee since it was so minor. I paid $100 for the filling instead of the usual $160. I am retired and no longer have dental insurance, so the price break was nice. He ends the visit with "go out and enjoy this beautiful day!" THIS is the sort of dentist you need to try to find. They do exist. But not until you get your current dentist to fix the work you are unhappy with!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health