Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 05:43 AM

201 posts, read 648,583 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]After moving to a new area, I had not been to the dentist in probably about 8 years. When I went to the family recommended dentist, they did a thorough cleaning and told me I had nothing to worry about, but of course not to wait so long in the future between visits. It turned out that I had two cavities, one on the top and one on the bottom. I was told they were minor and x-rays were taken. As I returned for the 2nd appointment to get the fillings done, the prices increased and I was told they were worse than originally thought and the price for each one almost doubled. I had the fillings done. The first one went off without trouble while the 2nd one (the bottom tooth) was a disaster. I was numbed about 6 or 7 times and towards the end could still feel the drilling. She told me the tooth was a deep cavity and that there was “some decay.” I had to back away from the dentist several times in fear because of the pain. Eventually she was satisfied with the filling and I left. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I told myself I wouldn’t wait so long in the future to see a dentist for a routine check. Several months later, I noticed a small chip in the same bottom tooth. I would describe it as more of a chip than a crack. It does not go to the bottom of the tooth and has not reached the gum. I do not remember when it happened and conclude that it must have occurred in my sleep. The only reason I even know it is there is because I have a tendency to examine my teeth constantly. If I did not look at my teeth often, I might not know it was there. I saw it simply from examining my teeth myself and now look at it constantly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The chip itself is small and is on the side of the tooth rather than at the top where the filling was done. I must add the tooth does not hurt in any way. There is no discomfort, pressure, or sensitivity. I can brush the tooth, eat on it, and even put pressure on it without feeling a thing. The chip has not gotten any worse and has been that way for a few months. I have an appointment with what seems like a great dentist (a different one of course) next week and am hoping they can fill the chip or do something that will not require a ton of work. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The reason for my post is that I fear (absolutely fear) a root canal and crown at this point. I know it is almost impossible to give advice without an x-ray or photograph. However, I was just wondering what people’s experiences have been and what they thought would be the result of this based on their best guess. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Since noticing the chip, I have worked extra hard to keep it clean. I now use a waterpik and electric toothbrush. I also manually floss and brush, and use mouthwash every night. I even sleep with a mouth guard believing I chipped the tooth at night in my sleep by grinding it. I also try not to even eat on that side to not further aggravate things. Any help would be appreciated and thank you. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health