Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM

160 posts, read 385,931 times

Advertisements

Today I went to the dentist for a cleaning. My appointment was at 930. Well someone else came in after me and our appointments were the same time. There is only1 dentist there. Well they called him in first. Then 20 mins later they called me back there. The dental hygienist started cleaning and with I have sensitive teeth. So the hygienist said my dentist needs to numb my gums. So 15 mins later the hygienist said I need to come back next time and my dentist will numb my gums. I was so mad. So basically I went there for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,760,619 times
That sounds extremely frustrating. If you do look for another dentist, you should call around and ask if they double-book appointments or not.

While delays can happen because sometimes they need to squeeze someone in for an emergency visit, it doesn't sound like that's what happened to you.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:51 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,392,773 times
If you just want a simple cleaning purchase a $30-$45 groupon. You'll get an exam, xrays and a cleaning from any number of dentists in your area. If you have sensitive gums it sounds like you need more than a simple cleaning though.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:32 PM

745 posts, read 1,653,511 times
Unless you build up a lot of calculous, you do not need to have you teeth "cleaned".
Floss, use water pik and brush. Don't use tooth paste...it leaves a coating of glycerin on your teeth that prevents normal remineralization.

Try this: Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe for Oral Health

Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,852,211 times
How long have you been seeing this dentist? Would you feel comfortable to ask to speak to the dentist and complain?

Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 AM

3,022 posts, read 5,880,982 times
The dental hygienist in my dentist's office numbs my gums. She never has to ask the dentist to do it.

Good dental hygiene at home is important, but does not replace seeing a dentist because the dentist will check your mouth for any signs of cancer and, of course, cavities that are too small for you to notice.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:06 PM

595 posts, read 2,709,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
Today I went to the dentist for a cleaning. My appointment was at 930. Well someone else came in after me and our appointments were the same time. There is only1 dentist there. Well they called him in first. Then 20 mins later they called me back there. The dental hygienist started cleaning and with I have sensitive teeth. So the hygienist said my dentist needs to numb my gums. So 15 mins later the hygienist said I need to come back next time and my dentist will numb my gums. I was so mad. So basically I went there for nothing.
It sounds like they were running behind perhaps. That stinks that they had to reschedule you. Depending upon which state you live in the Hygienist may not be legally allowed to anesthetize you prior to doing a cleaning. I'm going to assume that you needed a "deep" cleaning or rather Scaling and Root planing procedure. I would maybe give them one more chance to get it right and if they pull this again, THEN look for a new dentist.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM

98 posts, read 544,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Floss, use water pik and brush. Don't use tooth paste...it leaves a coating of glycerin on your teeth that prevents normal remineralization.

Try this: Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe for Oral Health
Nope & nope.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM

160 posts, read 385,931 times
Well I found a new one and they told me my gums and teeth are healthy. And they did the cleaning and they showed me that I grind my teeth. I never knew I grind my teeth at night. Luckily my dental insurance pays for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health