Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,803,151 times

Advertisements

I got a new Dentist. He appears to be very good at what he is doing technically and has very high ratings online, but has the personality of a robot. He never says anything to me about what is going on during the long appointments to take care of my many dental issues. He just speaks in a low hushed tone to the Dental Assistant about what he needs her to do.

Previous Dentists I have gone to would always tell me what he/she were doing and any complications that had occurred.

What do you expect from your Dentist regarding communication while the work is being done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
I expect there to be a two-way communication with mine. If he's doing something that I'm not understanding, or that he hasn't explained yet and I actually want to know about it, I ask. He also knows (because I told him) my signal for "please stop whatever you're doing in my mouth, I need to talk or scratch my nose or something." So there's never any time when I don't feel like I can ask him anything about the appointment.

Some dentists have lackluster "bedside personalities." It's not that they don't care about you as a patient. It's just like not all cashiers are exuberant, not all teachers are peppy, not all cheerleaders are extroverts when they leave the football field. Don't ever feel intimidated into not asking questions, or even telling the dentist at the start of your appointment "Please explain each step of the process to me as you go along today."

Don't forget, also, not all patients want to know. Lots of them show up, hold their breath, and try to think about laying out on a beach in Hawaii until it's over.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,291,271 times
My dentist, who I've been seeing since November of 1979, explains everything he's doing as he goes along, and fully answers any questions I might have. I'll really be sorry when he finally retires.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,863,998 times
Sounds like a repeat of one of your recent threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...barber-do.html

I have a lifelong dread of the dentist and it doesn't bother me in the least if he doesn't explain every move he makes as I'd rather he concentrate on the job at hand and, frankly, I'm hardly able to respond to anything he says when my mouth is jammed open wider than an old barn door. Once he's done looking around he can tell me what he's planning on doing but I'm quite happy enjoying and being pleasantly distracted by the soothing background music and his lava lamps swirling as he's working.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,870,268 times
I dont expect communication because i hate the dentist. I wont go unless i have to and i dont want to talk or listen to him- just get it done!

Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 PM

As you can see, OP, different patients have different expectations and different methods of dealing with the dentist. Conversely, different dentists have different expectations and different methods of dealing with their patients. If you want your dentist to communicate more, then -you- need to communicate this to him. If he finds you genuinely interested, he will likely be happy to talk your ear off about what he's doing. I've found most professionals are proud of what they do and would love nothing more than an interested ear to yack at

Old 06-10-2014, 06:47 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,874,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As you can see, OP, different patients have different expectations and different methods of dealing with the dentist. Conversely, different dentists have different expectations and different methods of dealing with their patients. If you want your dentist to communicate more, then -you- need to communicate this to him. If he finds you genuinely interested, he will likely be happy to talk your ear off about what he's doing. I've found most professionals are proud of what they do and would love nothing more than an interested ear to yack at

Agree.

My dentist & hygeniest explain every little thing that they do during an appointment.

Ask the densist if he could explain what he's doing before he does it, or as he goes along through the appointment.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:34 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,803,151 times
I asked him to tell me what is going on, but he did not respond.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 PM

Ah then in that case, you might want to make sure they have good records of your dental history, look into getting a more communicable dentist, and have your "new" new dentist request a transfer of the patient file from your current new dentist.

I'd still try talking to him first, at least one more time, maybe before even the hygienist puts the bib around your neck. Tell him you are looking out for your dental health, and you need for him to communicate what he's looking at, what he sees when he looks, what he thinks about what he sees, and what prompted him to look in that particular spot for that particular thing in the first place. An example of what he -would- tell you, about what I just said:

Well, Retired Now. I'm looking at a tiny little divot in your front right upper incisor. That would be a "fang" in layman's terms. It's near the gumline, and it's grey, maybe the size of a pin head. I was checking your gums for recession - which, by the way, you have a bit of especially two teeth over between your first two molars. I noticed a tiny shadow, so I'm checking further to make sure it's not a cavity. It appears to be just a minor flaw in the enamel, but it doesn't look like it's gone all the way through so - no need to drill. I'll mark it in your file though, to keep an eye on that spot when you come back in 6 months for your next cleaning. And you make sure to call me if you feel it's gotten worse, or you start feeling sensitivity or pain in that spot.

Now.. he shouldn't feel like he needs to talk you through every single second of his examination. But he -should- be keeping you informed whenever there's something "interesting" to report. Even if he thinks that interesting thing is nothing, but wants to keep an eye on it "just in case."

To that end - another possible thing the dentist -would- say - if he was addressing the communication issues I brought up:

What am I looking at, RetiredNow? I'm looking at your gums. It's a standard part of your 6-month cleaning. Are you feeling any sensitivity when I touch the tooth just under the gumline here? No? Awesome. They look good too. That's what we're hoping for, always. I'll keep going then, it'll be just a few more minutes.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:30 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,874,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I asked him to tell me what is going on, but he did not respond.

Personally, if it was me in that situation I would not go back to that dentist.

You are paying this person a lot of money, plus it's your body that is being worked on. You have every right to have everything explained to you in detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health