Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
2 weeks too late i like spam. its done. getting the crown thursday.
I missed that, I hope you enjoyed your root canal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:57 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
amazed at how painless the procedure was. kept tightening up during the procedure waiting for the pain, never came.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I've had quite a few root canals done and they are quite painless. They are only annoying because it requires multiple procedures to get it done.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Get it pulled...I had a tooth that the dentist filled. When I continued to have pain he did another x-ray and found there was a cavity still under the tooth he had (supposedly) just fixed....Back I went. after a second grinding and filling I still was having toothaches. Dentist suggested a root canal. I said JUST PULL IT OUT> after it was pulled (much to the chagrin of the dentist) I asked for my tooth and brought it home. I wasn't a bit surprised to find another cavity that he hadn't filled properly in it. What a relief to just have it out. Root canals are about the dentist making money far as I'm concerned.
No root canals are about saving teeth. Do you want to walk around with holes in your mouth and look like you live in the backwoods. Just get all your teeth pulled and grind your food up so you can gum it.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
I'm 51 and a big chicken and just had my first root canal ever done this morning, it was a bigger deal in my head, it went real well and not a big deal..glad it's over ...

Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 AM

8 posts, read 26,572 times
If your doctor suggests a root canal surgery, then must go for it. Take a wise advice from a reputed dentist to avoid pain, you can also get discounts with the help of dental discount plans. Visit dentalsave for better information.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:09 PM

139 posts, read 360,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Get it pulled... Root canals are about the dentist making money far as I'm concerned.
Wrong. It's about trying to save your natural tooth. There is nothing quite like having your own teeth.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsGL1800 View Post
Wrong. It's about trying to save your natural tooth. There is nothing quite like having your own teeth.
I have a couple of root canal teeth with crowns, and a couple of implants. I have to say that I find the implanted molar far superior to the root canal molar with crown. The implant is much more stable and I feel more comfortable chewing with it.

It used to be that the alternative to a root canal was an extraction and bridge, or flipper, or just an empty space where a tooth used to be. But now that implant dentistry has improved and there are more dentists who are skilled in this type of surgery, I would consider a root canal a very distant second place to an implant.

One of my implants used to be a root canal. But the ground-down stump that used to be the tooth under the crown started to rot when an infection set under the crown, and had to be removed anyway. It ended up being more expensive, painful, and time-consuming in the long run, to NOT get an implant on that tooth. Unfortunately at the time, implant dentistry wasn't as widespread as it is now, and it wasn't suggested to me as an option.

Going forward though, should I ever need to decide between a root canal and an implant on any molar, I will likely choose an implant. I'd be okay with a root canal and crown on a front tooth though, because those don't get that much use.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:34 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
i was going to write a thread calling all you guys out about root canals and how they are a supposed rip off but ill hold back.

all i know is i have no pain in my mouth anymore and i dont even notice the crown, it looks like my other teeth.

so annoyed with the doomsdayers in this forum.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i was going to write a thread calling all you guys out about root canals and how they are a supposed rip off but ill hold back.

all i know is i have no pain in my mouth anymore and i dont even notice the crown, it looks like my other teeth.

so annoyed with the doomsdayers in this forum.
Root canal treatment has been a standard treatment option for damaged roots and nerves for decades. It's still a standard treatment, and science backs up its benefits, when compared to most alternatives: letting the tooth die and not treating it, extracting the tooth and replacing with bridge/flipper, extracting the tooth and leaving the space vacant.

For people who can afford it AND whose jaw can support it, however, I think implants are the way to go, now. For those who can't afford it, or for whatever reason their jaw can't support an implant, the root canal treatment remains the standard treatment option of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health