Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I waited until the pain from my wisdom tooth was unbearable before calling my dentist. Now they can't see me until the 24th - I feel like I'm dying, although I've noticed the pain is a lot more noticeable when I'm thinking about it for some reason when I'm thinking about something else it doesn't hurt. Anyway, I'm not getting much sleep and my dentist assistant lady told me Aleve and Orajel might ease some of the pain - it did the 1st day but now it does Nothing!

Any tips on things I can do, that might give me temporary relief?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,751 times
I feel your pain and have been there. I would demand an emergency visit from your dentist. Your pain shoud be major concern from your dentist. I had a similair problem last year and called as soon as their office opened. I was in their office at 10 am that same morning. They gave me a prescription for vicodin and it took the pain away. Over the counter drugs will take the edge off (if you take 3 or 4) and vicodin should only be used for unbearable pain. I didn't need the vicodin but once. Ice will also help for an abcess for a quick relief.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM

379 posts, read 645,314 times
I agree. Your pain should be their priority. If nothing else they should give you pain medication. Call tomorrow ask to speak to the dentist himself or the office manager. Demand to be seen. They have time in their schedule for emergency patients(my mom has worked at many dental offices). Squeeky-wheel and all. You could also just show up and cause a scene (of course that could mean more pain for you). If all that fails I hope u have an emergency dental office somewhere in the area. I've been there, good luck.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Unhappy Hello There!

Sorry about how you are feeling!

This is my humble opinion, and you should probably do research on it.

And I am NOT a Dentist, just have relatives that are.

Go to the drugstore, and buy HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

, You might even see it with

the name of Hydrogen Dioxide. It should be 35 % Food Grade for Internal Use.

***Not all Hydrogen Peroxide is for Internal Use!****

Make sure you take an amount and dilute it with either distilled water, or Aloe

Vera Juice and rinse your mouth with it. Just like you would with a mouth

wash. Try doing this several times a day, and it will kill the bacteria or

anything that is hurting that area.

Ideally since this is a BAD tooth ache, you should use Distilled Water, NOT

TAP WATER!

Try to do this on an empty stomach, in case you swallow some of it, it might

upset your stomach. This stuff is amazing for so many things!!

Good luck and I hope that you are able to solve your problem.

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Hi all,

I waited until the pain from my wisdom tooth was unbearable before calling my dentist. Now they can't see me until the 24th - I feel like I'm dying, although I've noticed the pain is a lot more noticeable when I'm thinking about it for some reason when I'm thinking about something else it doesn't hurt. Anyway, I'm not getting much sleep and my dentist assistant lady told me Aleve and Orajel might ease some of the pain - it did the 1st day but now it does Nothing!

Any tips on things I can do, that might give me temporary relief?

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 PM

498 posts, read 1,520,396 times
Lightbulb Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Sorry about how you are feeling!

This is my humble opinion, and you should probably do research on it.

And I am NOT a Dentist, just have relatives that are.

Go to the drugstore, and buy HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

, You might even see it with

the name of Hydrogen Dioxide. It should be 35 % Food Grade for Internal Use.

***Not all Hydrogen Peroxide is for Internal Use!****

Make sure you take an amount and dilute it with either distilled water, or Aloe

Vera Juice and rinse your mouth with it. Just like you would with a mouth

wash. Try doing this several times a day, and it will kill the bacteria or

anything that is hurting that area.

Ideally since this is a BAD tooth ache, you should use Distilled Water, NOT

TAP WATER!

Try to do this on an empty stomach, in case you swallow some of it, it might

upset your stomach. This stuff is amazing for so many things!!

Good luck and I hope that you are able to solve your problem.

Countrylv22

Definitely good info. I would do this if I were you. Peroxide is good for cleaning harmful bacteria from getting out of hand, and interesting enough, the pain>> It might take a couple to times to feel relieve. Pour 1/4 part of Peroxide with 3/4 part BOILED WATER. Bottled water can be dangerous in a situation like this. Just boil your water for a at least 3-5 minutes. That sterilizes it. YOu may also boil bottled water if ya like, but if you have infection in your gums, cause of your toothache, then you definitely want to sterilize your water. Let the water and peroxide sit over that tooth for at least 1-2minutes, is long enough. You have to be careful with using peroxcide too much.
Did your dentist give you any antibiotics? This is perfect time for you to be taking them. You will probably have to be on them for at least 2-3 days before he could cut anything or open a wound, I would think. Not to alarm you but, this is one of the causes of digestive heart failure, so do be cautious. I would advise you to call them or go there in person and kindly explain to them, that you really do not want to contract this heart disease. They should at least get you started and cleaned up by the time you get to see him.

Other home remedies; Epsom salts pack,regular salt pack, set a real aspirin right directly on that tooth and let it disolve there. I never said it was going to taste good. You can do it! Get a clean sock and put ice in it and with the ice being in the spot on your face of your sore tooth, pull it up and tie it up around your head. It does help.

What I would strongly warn against using is the oral gel and any of those topical pain easers. They will definitely start severe infections. They are petroleum based gel which traps bacterias in the wound, not to mention, they only work for a minute anyway. Too much of it can make you sick as well.

Ok, last resort, Break out the strongest Whiskey ya got. If you are not medicated for some other reasons and you are 21 or over then I say let the whiskey set on it straight. Well, at least maybe if it puts you to sleep for a while, I would think that you would hurt less or just hope it kills the pain just from sitting on it. Ok well I am out of ideas for a second so good luck and I am sorry you are going through pain.

Do not swallow the peroxide. Unless your doctor tells you it is ok, then I would not swallow the peroxide and I would only do it twice a day at the most. CHeck with your dentists' receptionist about how many more times than that. Hopefully, you can get better attention by tomorrow.

Last edited by UNITE; 01-14-2008 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 01-14-2008, 11:22 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Try Listerine, the old fashioned kind. I think the alcohol could kill some of the infection or whatever is causing the pain, it usually helps me. Ask for the good pain pills!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:47 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
I agree with Burgi and Boyds. A dentist should see you for an emergency visit. I would demand it and if I didn't get it I would see if another dentist could get me in. Waiting is not an option.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
The natural method is putting a clove right on the affected area. It will numb the tooth until you can see the dentist.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 PM

690 posts, read 2,630,274 times
Agree with calling the dentist back and telling them you CANNOT wait until the 24th, you are in terrible pain, and you want something done about it immediately. If they can't fit you in, find someone that can. Take it from me - the pain will get worse, and if nothing's taking it away now, wait till it's keeping you up all night. Been there, done that. Call the dentist back.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:33 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I agree with Burgi and Boyds. A dentist should see you for an emergency visit. I would demand it and if I didn't get it I would see if another dentist could get me in. Waiting is not an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
Agree with calling the dentist back and telling them you CANNOT wait until the 24th, you are in terrible pain, and you want something done about it immediately. If they can't fit you in, find someone that can. Take it from me - the pain will get worse, and if nothing's taking it away now, wait till it's keeping you up all night. Been there, done that. Call the dentist back.
I agree. Tell them you need something for pain if nothing else in the meantime. Also, my endodontist told me that they have found that 4 Advil (ibuprofen) is as effective for dental pain as codeine. But he did tell me to take 4 of them at once. (which was the prescription strength when it wasn't over the counter.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health