Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:56 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times

Advertisements

I went to the dentist a few weeks ago for a cleaning and found out I had three small cavities (I had two of them filled last week). This is the first time I've been to the dentist in three years. Is it bad that I had so many cavities? I really want to avoid getting cavities in the future because my dental benefits run out in June. I've been getting a lot better at flossing.. I try to do it at least every other day. Should I start brushing my teeth three times a day? Does it make a difference? Is there a certain toothpaste I should use? And what does everyone think of those fluoride rinses that are supposed to strengthen the enamel of your teeth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
I am not a dentist, but I would say that you should brush them three times a day and remember to also floss. Try to avoid the sugary foods and drinks, and if you have them, make sure to brush afterwards.

I don't know if you can really strengthen your enamel.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:06 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Brush and floss daily, at least 2 times, 3 preferred. Flossing is very important. Your brush usually does not get everything between the teeth and that's where most cavities start. As stated above watch your sugars.
I use Crest toothpaste with a flouride, rarely get a cavity. Last one was about 10 years ago.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,678 times
Well you don't "want" cavities of course, but now you have them. I's say smaller is "better". Larger cavities can fall out over time and like anything, when you refill, the tooth will not be quite as strong a before the filling.

From what I know, this is all good advice and Yes, fluoride can "help" to rebuild and strengthen enamel. My dentist recommended to avoid whitening toothpaste as it has more abrasives in its efforts to whiten. Toothpaste with flouride and those with enamel building properties can help, as well as the mouth rinses however they can be expensive. His recommendation is to use fluoride gel at night right before you go to bed. Brush your teeth and floss, then brush with a small amount of the gel. Swish it around in your mouth for about 60 seconds then spit it out and go to bed. If you get up take a sip of water as the water an your saliva will kind of activate it again. He sells the gel I think the bottle was 8-10 oz for $10. In the long run, cheaper and MUCH more effective than the rinses.

years ago I noticed an uptick in cavities when there was a hard candy dish at work!

I'd should also add that not everyone agrees on the safety of flouride.

Last edited by zoso1979; 12-01-2013 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-01-2013, 03:11 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Sugary foods? Give us a break here.

To avoid cavities you need to avoid refined sugar in your diet.

Read labels and stop eating anything that has refined sugar in it.

Fluoride is fine once/month. Any more often than that and fluoride weakens your tooth enamel. Anything else you read about it, consider the source. Marketing advertisements are trying to get you to buy their product. Dentists and the entire dental profession tells us to avoid daily fluoride.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
There's no reason to use a special fluoride gel treatment, unless you are:

1. high risk for cavities
2. getting radiation treatment on your head/neck
3. have braces
4. don't salivate as much as is normal
5. if your permanent molars are coming in (as a child) and for whatever reason, they can't be sealed.

Gel treatment isn't a daily thing.

If you have fluoridated drinking water you don't even need a daily fluoride rinse unless your doctor has prescribed it to combat a high risk of cavities.

You could eat a half cup of refined sugar if you want - as long as you brush your teeth right after you're done eating it, and then rinse your mouth out with water when you're finished brushing, it will have zero effect on your teeth. It will, however, be a pretty stupid thing to do and if you do it often could lead to diabetes.

Starches and sugars can cause cavities. But only if you are lazy about your personal dental hygiene.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I went to the dentist a few weeks ago for a cleaning and found out I had three small cavities (I had two of them filled last week). This is the first time I've been to the dentist in three years. Is it bad that I had so many cavities? I really want to avoid getting cavities in the future because my dental benefits run out in June. I've been getting a lot better at flossing.. I try to do it at least every other day. Should I start brushing my teeth three times a day? Does it make a difference? Is there a certain toothpaste I should use? And what does everyone think of those fluoride rinses that are supposed to strengthen the enamel of your teeth?
Honestly, if you had three small cavities after 3 years, I'd say that isn't too bad. I've seen people come in after 6 months with more.

Here's what I would recommend, invest in a good electronic toothbrush if you don't have one. I prefer Oral B but others like Sonicare. Either brand works and it's personal preference. Sonicare is more subtle foaming and the "sonic" action while Oral B utilizes a rotation type movement of the brush head. The bells and whistle $100 brush I got for free in Hygiene school is the same brush that Oral B sells at Walmart, Target, etc for like $15 under Bausch/Oral B. Mine just has the bells and whistles. Most people don't need those extras and I would much rather see my patients buy a mechanical toothbrush they can afford.

Use whatever toothpaste you want. The toothpaste overall will have the least impact on preventing cavities than say the type of brush and HOW you brush. It's the mechanical movement of the bristles impacting your tooth that matters. If you use a mechanical brush make sure you let the brush head do the work. Move the brush from one tooth to the next slowly, working from one side to the next on the front and then to the backs and tops of the teeth. You don't need to brush like you would with a manual brush as this WILL cause gum recession. I literally can tell which of my patients use a mechanical brush versus a manual brush, it can make that big a difference. Brushing after lunch can help but usually isn't necessary for most people.

As to the Fluoride rinse it wouldn't hurt. I like ACT Total and is what I recommend to my patients. Staying on a consistent routine with brushing and flossing is the key.

Flossing is important. Period. Your toothbrush is NOT going to get in between and underneath the gum like floss can. You could brush 20x per day and still have gingivitis (bleeding gums.) So definitely floss. If it helps to remember, try flossing the top at night and the bottom in the morning. I ultimately say everyday but if you can get to it every other day that's not awful. It's at least getting done. The trick is interrupting the plaque bacteria every 24 hours.

Hope these tips help.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone! They're very helpful.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
Honestly, if you had three small cavities after 3 years, I'd say that isn't too bad. I've seen people come in after 6 months with more.

Here's what I would recommend, invest in a good electronic toothbrush if you don't have one. I prefer Oral B but others like Sonicare. Either brand works and it's personal preference. Sonicare is more subtle foaming and the "sonic" action while Oral B utilizes a rotation type movement of the brush head. The bells and whistle $100 brush I got for free in Hygiene school is the same brush that Oral B sells at Walmart, Target, etc for like $15 under Bausch/Oral B. Mine just has the bells and whistles. Most people don't need those extras and I would much rather see my patients buy a mechanical toothbrush they can afford.

Use whatever toothpaste you want. The toothpaste overall will have the least impact on preventing cavities than say the type of brush and HOW you brush. It's the mechanical movement of the bristles impacting your tooth that matters. If you use a mechanical brush make sure you let the brush head do the work. Move the brush from one tooth to the next slowly, working from one side to the next on the front and then to the backs and tops of the teeth. You don't need to brush like you would with a manual brush as this WILL cause gum recession. I literally can tell which of my patients use a mechanical brush versus a manual brush, it can make that big a difference. Brushing after lunch can help but usually isn't necessary for most people.

As to the Fluoride rinse it wouldn't hurt. I like ACT Total and is what I recommend to my patients. Staying on a consistent routine with brushing and flossing is the key.

Flossing is important. Period. Your toothbrush is NOT going to get in between and underneath the gum like floss can. You could brush 20x per day and still have gingivitis (bleeding gums.) So definitely floss. If it helps to remember, try flossing the top at night and the bottom in the morning. I ultimately say everyday but if you can get to it every other day that's not awful. It's at least getting done. The trick is interrupting the plaque bacteria every 24 hours.

Hope these tips help.
These tips are really helpful, thanks. I have started flossing a lot more in the last year and try to do it almost every day. Before, I don't think I ever used to floss unless I had something stuck between my teeth. When I went into the dentist last month, I was told I have a mild case of gingivitis around my molars. The dental hygienist did a deeper cleaning and said I should come in again in four months. Is gum scaling very necessary?

I've just been reading too many forums online lately about tooth loss and it seems pretty common. I'm just so scared my teeth are going to fall out one day, so I'm trying to take better care of them.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:51 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
These tips are really helpful, thanks. I have started flossing a lot more in the last year and try to do it almost every day. Before, I don't think I ever used to floss unless I had something stuck between my teeth. When I went into the dentist last month, I was told I have a mild case of gingivitis around my molars. The dental hygienist did a deeper cleaning and said I should come in again in four months. Is gum scaling very necessary?

I've just been reading too many forums online lately about tooth loss and it seems pretty common. I'm just so scared my teeth are going to fall out one day, so I'm trying to take better care of them.
Gum scaling or rather Root planing and scaling is necessary when there are hard deposits under the gum line. These hard deposits act like a sponge and allow the bacteria to hide out and multiply as well as by irritating the gums. This is much like any other infection in your body in that the tissues can swell and bleed. It's just that often in the early stages, you might not notice these symptoms or think they're normal. Bleeding gums are NEVER normal, but for some reason people just kind of accept it. I equate it to a bleeding cut on your arm that gets infected. You are going to treat that infection with some antibiotic and a bandage. In the case of your gums (early stages) this means cleaning out underneath the gums and having you floss regularly to help keep those deposits from reforming.

Your Hygienist has recommended you come back in four months so she can ascertain that the cleaning she gave you helped and that you are taking care of your mouth. If everything is healing and you have no further symptoms (swelling and bleeding) then she may recommend you go back to a 6 month cleaning schedule. This is to YOUR benefit to go back in four months. It sounds as if she's being proactive in trying to stay ahead of any disease progressing.

Tooth loss does not have to be common. If you take care of your teeth and gums, then there is NO reason you should lose them. Genetics and extenuating circumstances (such as certain diseases) can make it difficult but with good home care and regular dental visits, you can absolutely keep all of your teeth until you die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health