Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 10,331 times

Advertisements

I recently had 4 front teeth and one back molar extracted and was given a stay plate by my dentist. I was unable to wear it at all for the first two days and went in today to have it adjusted. It still is extremely painful and does not fit well. From what I've read that is to be expected. However, my dentist told me to take it out to eat. That does not jive with what I've read elsewhere and will proove to be very difficult since I have a lot of business luncheons at my job. I look like a vampire with the plate out. What are other's experiences re: eating with a stay plate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 04:50 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
For those of you who don't know what a stay plate is, it is a partial denture.

I have always heard they are generally uncomfortable and can be difficult to adjust. I would say to work with your dentist on adjustments to get it as good as can be gotten.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:21 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
This is the cheapest options available to put teeth back in the mouth. As such, these are "church teeth" which are generally cosmetic to smile with and not functional.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:33 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
I had that and it was comfortable and mostly functional. However, I quickly eliminated sandwiches (biting into bread) because the partial would 'stick' into the bread. But my dentist was able to fit it nicely and I found it a mostly positive experience (compared to the alternative).

As I've gone on and have a near full partial I've also learned to make some minor adjustments to the dental appliance using electric nail filing thing. But my dentist also told me that if it didn't fit right to come in right away. I think they are meant to be a good fit, but because each is a unique fit, it takes time and adjustments.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 9,913 times
I just got my stay plate today, aim having implants done and will have the stay plate for several months I hate that there is gap between the plate and the roof of my mouth. Is this normal and what is the general opinion do you remove it to eat or not

Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Ditto what toofache said. These are 99% for cosmetics. Remove it when you eat. If you are out to dinner somewhere and don't want to be embarrassed, order the pasta or something soft, then politely excuse yourself afterwards and go to the restroom to clean it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health