Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed an increase in younger aged people that have a lot of missing teeth? Or I am just noticing it more... used to be you did not see this except in old people.

Now I see people in their 20s and 30s. Uggh. Really looks bad, and of course, dental care is so expensive and they can't afford to get implants (do they still do dentures even?).

Maybe I am being dense but - Is this because of drug use?

Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:13 PM

374 posts, read 812,303 times
Depending on who the younger aged people are, it's probably meth.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,020,088 times
It could be from anything including drugs, sodas, not brushing your teeth, etc. Implants are VERY expensive. My doctor has very nice white teeth. She said one implant cost her 6k. I so regret chewing tobacco for many yrs (i stopped yrs ago) & not taking care of my teeth. Now i got to pay the piper.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 12,893 times
Yes I noticed a lot of people have missing teeth these days. I'm so glad I got my teeth fixed when I was young because I had horrible oral hygiene and I could've had missing teeth if I didn't see the dentist.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Parents not instilling the proper health care priorities in their children. If you see a young person with bad teeth, look at their parents and you'll probably notice a trend.

Not always but often.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
I agree it's probably a combination of factors: drug use in some people, drinking too many sodas (even diet sodas are acidic) in others, lack of regular home care (brushing and flossing) for some, lack of regular dental care (cleanings every six months) for still others, and poor nutrition plays a part too. Put those five factors together in one individual and you've got a perfect storm for tooth loss.

I was lamenting to my dentist about having had two implants done in my 60's and asking him how it's possible to lose two teeth before age 70 (I am 69 now), and he said when he used to work in a free clinic there were people in their 20's who had lost all their teeth! He cited multiple factors but said drug use was the biggie. It stands to reason that drug use would correlate highly with poor nutrition and lack of regular care, forming a constellation of factors right there.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
When I was a kid (long ago) there was a family who lived near us and all the kids had bad teeth. They had the money but apparently didn't have the habit of going to the dentist or taking care of their teeth. I remember eating at their house and the kids would drink soda with their meals. The parents just didn't know or didn't care.

By the end of high school, their teeth looked really horrible, all brown and dark colored. I hated going to the dentist but I'm glad my parents forced me.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Has anyone noticed an increase in younger aged people that have a lot of missing teeth? Or I am just noticing it more... used to be you did not see this except in old people.

Now I see people in their 20s and 30s. Uggh. Really looks bad, and of course, dental care is so expensive and they can't afford to get implants (do they still do dentures even?).

Sad.
It might be the area you live in because when I moved to northern NH I was shocked at how many people were missing teeth. Nobody was missing teeth where I came from unless they had been in a recent accident.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
dental care is so very, very expensive. I think most people have to concentrate on other bills and healthcare. Dental care gets pushed to the back burner. I'm still amazed and dismayed that dental care isn't covered under a regular healthcare package rather than as a separate issue.
I have health insurance and had to do dental care as a separate policy and recently had a root canal then a crown put on. WOW! Even after my insurance paid I was still left with a hefty bill.
I can't comprehend why dental costs are SO high

Old 05-27-2013, 06:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Meth mouth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LINK to pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health