Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:51 AM

629 posts, read 933,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh, I was talking to a friend a couple weeks ago and she was telling me her sister was hospitalized with c-diff infection and it took a long course of strong abx to get rid of the infection. I had to look up c-diff as I had no idea what it was.
They should have taught you that in dental school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:35 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna61 View Post
I had an infected root canal for several months, dentist did not treat infection sent me to periodontist. After my consult 2 weeks ago, had tooth number 14 pulled this morning. It was indeed infected and cracked. The smell was horrid. Was told to take ibuprofen. No antibiotics were prescribed. I am wondering if this was a mistake and will the infection clear up on it's own or make me sick?
The dentist may have assumed that since the infection was in the tooth (root canal), that extracting the tooth would remove the source of the infection, taking care of the problem. And while that is true, I'd certainly think that antibiotics might be indicated since extracting an infected tooth might seed some of the causative bacteria into the bloodstream and potentially spread them into other locations. But I'm not a dentist, or doctor, and can't say what the current thinking is for immunocompetent patients or those with artificial "hardware" such as cardiac valves and so on, or those with a history of rheumatic heart disease (used to be they'd get antibiotics prior to any dental procedure).

You're certainly within your rights to contact the endodontist who pulled your tooth and ask him/her about the antibiotics, even a few days after you had it done. That way you may get the antibiotics you should have had, or you may get an explanation of why the endodontist believed that antibiotics were not indicated following your extraction. Either way, hopefully it would put your mind at rest about the antibiotics.

Last edited by Travelassie; 08-28-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
They should have taught you that in dental school.
ROFL!!!! Made me snort coffee out my nose.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh abx drugs are given out like candy by MANY doctors. Could be this is WHY abx drugs are not effective enough. I said I hardly take them for the exception recently and the infection I had went undetected for too long. The last abx by a dentist, for me, was about 10 yrs ago and that is the tooth that I've been saved from major work, that MANY of you know what is going on in my mouth.... I have amoxicillan in my refrig since hip replacement for dental cleanings but since I clean my own teeth very well, I don't use these amox.

What pleasure I must bring you all. It could be pretty boring without me here to attack.
I think it must be the unmitigated chutzpah with which you dispense your "medical"advice that makes people shake their heads in wonder.....

Last edited by Travelassie; 08-28-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:30 AM

14,461 posts, read 20,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna61 View Post
Was told to take ibuprofen. No antibiotics were prescribed.
If you have Harris Teeter stores their pharmacy have most antibiotics for free.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If you have Harris Teeter stores their pharmacy have most antibiotics for free.
Those antibiotics would still require a prescription from a health care provider, no store (at least in the US) would give prescription drugs away to just anyone who asked for them.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,123,089 times
A coupla eclectic pts:

We all develop a transient bacteremia (bacteria in blood) every time we brush our teeth.

Normal oral bacterial flora are by and large anaerobic Gram positives-- plain PCN is the drug of choice for treatment, NOT amoxicillin (less effective than PCN against anaerobes).

Dental problems rarely require anitbiotic tx. Look how often teeth have been extracted in the old days with gaping open wounds left in the jaw and infections only rarely complicated things. Our saliva is full of secretory antibodies (IgA)-- very effective against oral flora.

Other posters here are quite right about use of unneeded antibiotic tx and the CYA mentality of prescribing to keep the legal wolves away from the door.

Prophylactic antibodies are recommended for all dental work for those with artificial joints, valves or valvular disease.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:15 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A coupla eclectic pts:

We all develop a transient bacteremia (bacteria in blood) every time we brush our teeth.
....and defecate.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:34 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,724,459 times
Once the tooth is removed, the infection can clear up on its own. Do what your dentist advised in terms of self-care (rinsing gently after the first day, no smoking, no crunchy foods) and watch for signs of infection (worsening pain, swelling after the third day that's getting worse instead of better, extreme swelling, etc). If you see any, call to see what they want you to do. Many people need antibiotics with a tooth infection, but many don't, especially when they have the problem tooth extracted. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,201 times
Thanks for the advice. Sorry to stir up and issue between 2 of you. I don't think anyone was looking to give bad advice. Relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health