Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 01:34 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I was missing a back tooth for years and I finally took the plunge and had it replaced with a dental implant, but now there is a small hole at the gum line between that tooth and the tooth next to it, and so after eating the gap filled with food, and I used a small brush to get the food out and also brushed as I regularly do, but it STILL feels odd. It also feels weird because the bottom does not feel like the rest of my teeth -- it is smooth instead of ridged, as if I have a smooth wad of gum wedged in the bottom of my tooth.

As the implant was just completed three hours ago, is this something I will just get used to? Now I feel that whenever I eat out, I will need to take a toothbrush with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 02:04 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I was missing a back tooth for years and I finally took the plunge and had it replaced with a dental implant, but now there is a small hole at the gum line between that tooth and the tooth next to it, and so after eating the gap filled with food, and I used a small brush to get the food out and also brushed as I regularly do, but it STILL feels odd. It also feels weird because the bottom does not feel like the rest of my teeth -- it is smooth instead of ridged, as if I have a smooth wad of gum wedged in the bottom of my tooth.

As the implant was just completed three hours ago, is this something I will just get used to? Now I feel that whenever I eat out, I will need to take a toothbrush with me!
I think you ought to follow the post-implant instructions given to you by the dentist who did the implant, or contact the office/dental clinic to get specific instructions and answer any questions you may have. I'm not a dentist, or even all that familiar with implants, but I was just reading about after-implant care on You-Tube (I thought my husband was going to have one put in today, but upon further consultation with the dentist, they decided a bridge would be better for him), and it sounds as though 3 hrs post implant is a bit soon to be chewing food and brushing in that area. But check with your dentist.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think you ought to follow the post-implant instructions given to you by the dentist who did the implant, or contact the office/dental clinic to get specific instructions and answer any questions you may have. I'm not a dentist, or even all that familiar with implants, but I was just reading about after-implant care on You-Tube (I thought my husband was going to have one put in today, but upon further consultation with the dentist, they decided a bridge would be better for him), and it sounds as though 3 hrs post implant is a bit soon to be chewing food and brushing in that area. But check with your dentist.
Thanks for your reply, but the dentist said I could treat my implant just as a normal tooth two hours after the placement, and I waited about a half-hour more than that before eating.

Thanks again.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:49 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, but the dentist said I could treat my implant just as a normal tooth two hours after the placement, and I waited about a half-hour more than that before eating.

Thanks again.
Ok, well that's good to know. The You-Tube videos made it sound like a person had to wait several days before eating on that side, or brushing directly over the implant, guess that is not the case, or it may depend on a number of other variables. I have had one tooth pulled, and I know you have to be careful with the extraction site for a few days, but that is so that you don't dislodge the clot that forms over the hole left from the tooth, that clot is part of the healing process and dislodging it wikl likely result in a dry socket. Guess it's a different animal with implants, no clot there, at least not on the surface.

Wish I could help you with your questions about the implant and eating, but I've never had one. Hope the implant takes and you do well with it.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:49 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, but the dentist said I could treat my implant just as a normal tooth two hours after the placement, and I waited about a half-hour more than that before eating...

So call the dentist and ask him. He can answer your questions better than anyone ehre can. That's why you paid him the big bucks.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:29 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
You just had surgery 3 hours ago? It has to heal. There is swelling, inflammation, possibly sutures, and many other aspects. You didn't just get a haircut, you had surgery. This is no different from having surgery anywhere else in your body. If you have concerns, you should call the surgeon.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
You just had surgery 3 hours ago? It has to heal. There is swelling, inflammation, possibly sutures, and many other aspects. You didn't just get a haircut, you had surgery. This is no different from having surgery anywhere else in your body. If you have concerns, you should call the surgeon.
Thanks for your reply, but I should have said that I just had the fake tooth (crown) cemented in, so no surgery -- the painful part was done months ago. (The dentist installs a screw deep into the gum line, which takes months to heal, and then they put in a kind of collar/connector in preparation for the tooth, which also has to heal but is not nearly as painful as the screw implantation, then they remove the collar and cement in the fake tooth.) So yesterday did not involve even topical anesthetic. It was completely painless.

So the tooth itself and the gap itself is what is bothering me (still).

https://www.cosmeticdentistrynewyork.com/timeline

P.S. The above link is not to my dentist, but it gave a very concise overview of the procedure.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
If you are getting food impacted between the implant crown and the tooth next to it, then there could be an issue with the shape of the crown, gum ("papilla") loss in that area, bone loss, or a combination of all three. Talk to your dentist about your concerns and what, if anything, can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health