Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 11:20 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_fluorosis

The fluorosis shown here is mild and that is what my grandgirl ended up with from her dentist after he removed her braces. Before she had no fluorosis...how much he actually dosed her with who knows.

I was born and raised in fluoridated waters, never bathed my teeth in it by a dentist and I have no fluorosis but a mouthful of dental work...certainly didn't save my mouth from cavities. I don't even know if the oldtime dentists even gave the fluoride treatments.

I can hear it now, many will praise fluoride so I'm ready for that one too.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_fluorosis

The fluorosis shown here is mild and that is what my grandgirl ended up with from her dentist after he removed her braces. Before she had no fluorosis...how much he actually dosed her with who knows.

I was born and raised in fluoridated waters, never bathed my teeth in it by a dentist and I have no fluorosis but a mouthful of dental work...certainly didn't save my mouth from cavities. I don't even know if the oldtime dentists even gave the fluoride treatments.

I can hear it now, many will praise fluoride so I'm ready for that one too.
Topical fluoride does not cause fluorosis. Fluorosis develops while the teeth are being formed, before they erupt through the gums.

The white spots on your grandgirl's teeth are related to the braces and less than perfect cleaning of her teeth while the braces were on them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4072374/

"The formation of white spot lesions or enamel demineralization around fixed orthodontic attachments is a common complication during and following fixed orthodontic treatment, which mars the result of a successfully completed case. This article is a contemporary review of the risk factors, preventive methods and fate of these orthodontics scars. The importance of excellent oral hygiene practice during fixed orthodontic treatment must be explained. Preventive programs must be emphasized to all orthodontic patients. Suggestions are offered in the literature for ways to prevent this condition from manifesting itself."

I know you detest fluoride, but please stop spreading misinformation about it.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Topical fluoride does not cause fluorosis. Fluorosis develops while the teeth are being formed, before they erupt through the gums.

The white spots on your grandgirl's teeth are related to the braces and less than perfect cleaning of her teeth while the braces were on them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4072374/
Ah, interesting. I know several people who had braces as kids, two of them siblings. I recall them complaining about how hard it was to keep their teeth clean and being "threatened" with permanent marks from the braces if they didn't. One sibling has these marks, and another friend does also. We did not get fluoride treatments nor did we live in an area with fluoridated water.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:40 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Ah, interesting. I know several people who had braces as kids, two of them siblings. I recall them complaining about how hard it was to keep their teeth clean and being "threatened" with permanent marks from the braces if they didn't. One sibling has these marks, and another friend does also. We did not get fluoride treatments nor did we live in an area with fluoridated water.
I had braces a long, long time ago. Cleaning teeth with brackets on them is hard, especially when all you have is a toothbrush, no electric brushes or gadgets for cleaning under wires and between teeth and no Water Pik. I was obssesive about brushing, though. I did it at school after lunch, for example. I did get fluoride treatments and drank fluoridated water. I have no white spots on my teeth.

The white spots that the OP's granddaughter has are from the braces and can be prevented by diligent brushing. They are not due to fluoride.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
We've had this fight before. It goes nowhere but downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.