Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,205 times

Advertisements

I had an infected root canal for several months, dentist did not treat infection sent me to periodontist. After my consult 2 weeks ago, had tooth number 14 pulled this morning. It was indeed infected and cracked. The smell was horrid. Was told to take ibuprofen. No antibiotics were prescribed. I am wondering if this was a mistake and will the infection clear up on it's own or make me sick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:06 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna61 View Post
I had an infected root canal for several months, dentist did not treat infection sent me to periodontist. After my consult 2 weeks ago, had tooth number 14 pulled this morning. It was indeed infected and cracked. The smell was horrid. Was told to take ibuprofen. No antibiotics were prescribed. I am wondering if this was a mistake and will the infection clear up on it's own or make me sick?

Oh that is crazy, antiobiotics are in order. I had an issue about 10 yrs ago and ALMOST went thru major dental work and a course of amoxcillan cleaned it up. Make sure you take probiotics when taking abx drugs. I would say the dentist is negligent.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:36 PM

2,225 posts, read 1,327,980 times
Rinsing with salt water might help. I had a wisdom tooth removed and a few stitches, no infection though, rinsing my mouth with salt water was the only instruction I got (1 tsp salt+1 cup water).

My dad has had a few infected root canals before switching to a different dentist. No antibiotics were ever prescribed on those occasions.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh that is crazy, antiobiotics are in order. You are not a doctor and you were not there. You do not know what the exact diagnosis was. You therefore should refrain from dispensing your medical opinion as fact. I had an issue about 10 yrs ago and ALMOST went thru major dental work and a course of amoxcillan cleaned it up. Make sure you take probiotics when taking abx drugs. I would say the dentist is negligent. You are not an attorney and you were not there. You do not know what the exact circumstances were. It also appears that you do not understand the meaning of the word "negligent". You therefore should refrain from dispensing your legal opinion as fact.

Another five-star post from jaminhealth....

Old 08-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna61 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the scientific evidence shows that antibiotics after oral surgery are rarely necessary. There are 3 times as many law schools as there are dental schools in this country, so many dentists just go ahead and write the prescription so they don't have to deal with any frivolous issues. The term "infection" gets thrown around very loosely. Sounds like you had a chronic (not acute) dental issue and, generally speaking, removing the source of the issue (i.e. the tooth) is usually all that is indicated.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:25 AM

2,225 posts, read 1,327,980 times
I forgot to mention that my dentist prescribed both an antibiotic and an anti-bacterial mouth rinse after a dental bone graft recently, even though there was no infection involved. The mouth rinse is "Chlorhexidine gluconate", to be used twice a day, 15ml each time, for 7 days.

The hardest part was on a liquid diet for the first week, then on a soft food diet for the next few weeks. I was afraid that food particles might get inside, and too much chewing might interfere with the healing process.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the scientific evidence shows that antibiotics after oral surgery are rarely necessary. There are 3 times as many law schools as there are dental schools in this country, so many dentists just go ahead and write the prescription so they don't have to deal with any frivolous issues. The term "infection" gets thrown around very loosely. Sounds like you had a chronic (not acute) dental issue and, generally speaking, removing the source of the issue (i.e. the tooth) is usually all that is indicated.
Thanks for the 5 star congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The infection issue OP talks about just doesn't seem like ibuprofen would take care of it. I'm not a pusher of abx drugs, or any drugs for that matter, but they are OFTEN needed and if left unchecked could really mess one up.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:

The infection issue OP talks about just doesn't seem like ibuprofen would take care of it.

Your medical knowledge is outstanding. I am simply amazed and jealous are you able to ascertain that 1) The OP has an acute infection of odontogenic orgin and 2) What the recommended treatment action should be solely based on a vague internet post without having done an examination or anything.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:29 PM

Lots of sarcasm flowing. My medical knowledge is a LOT different than yours doctor.

I just went thru a major knee infection and it was left infected for 2.5 months and my knee has been pretty destroyed from this untreated infection. This too is where I'm coming from since this recent issue. The doctors treating me were really negligent. But I wasn't damaged enough for a lawsuit.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Lots of sarcasm flowing. My medical knowledge is a LOT different than yours doctor.

I just went thru a major knee infection and it was left infected for 2.5 months and my knee has been pretty destroyed from this untreated infection. This too is where I'm coming from since this recent issue. The doctors treating me were really negligent. But I wasn't damaged enough for a lawsuit.
Should have sued the doctor for not injecting grape seed abstract into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health