Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 06:10 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,797,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Okay, if you want a real answer with real reasons, read these official recommendations:

https://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Publ...2012.pdf?la=en

OTH... you could become your very own dentist and do your very own dental work. I bet you can buy a DIY dental kit on amazon. You could diagnosis yourself, write yourself a treatment plan, and then DIY.

yay
Kinda extreme advice, no? I followed all the rules to the T for MOST of my life and then finally "the lightbulb lite up"... take care of your teeth girl and you won't have to go the dentist as you do, I told myself. Amazing the money and grief I save.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:19 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,240,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Actually it's the insurance company's money. I don't pay anything. But it annoys me that health care costs are driven up, up, up because of unnecessary tests.
It has been shown, many times over in ALL areas of health that preventative care saves money in the long run...

The cost of x rays is minuscule compared to the larger scale procedures that may need to be done when a problem that could have been solved simply if caught early turns into a bigger problem later...

You may feel the x rays are useless because they haven't shown anything.....be thankful....

The x rays that DO catch a problem early save money, time and teeth.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,986,931 times
Quote:
I'd like to know from non-dentists who aren't biased in getting the fees from these useless x-rays.
Since non-dentists haven't been to dental school, do not treat patients, and have no knowledge whatsoever of the subject, why would you want their opinion? ...they don't know any more about teeth than you do.

Apparently you just want your preferred answer, not an educated answer.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:44 PM

110 posts, read 77,411 times
Quote:
Actually it's the insurance company's money. I don't pay anything. But it annoys me that health care costs are driven up, up, up because of unnecessary tests.

Call the insurance company and tell them you want a discount on premiums because you do not get yearly x-rays.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:01 PM

Old Gardner: I've asked you before and since you seem to know so much about dentistry, are you a dentist? You never replied before. Just curious.

I've got a mouth full of dentistry so I think I know a lot about it and no schooling here, just followed the "rules" for most of my life. It comes across from some here that those who don't adhere to every inch of the rules, they are not good stewards....ummmm Who's the boss of our bodies?

Old 08-06-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortWingate View Post
Call the insurance company and tell them you want a discount on premiums because you do not get yearly x-rays.
That would be great, wish I could have done for for decades with another insurance I carried and Never used it.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:58 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,787,311 times
Quote:
I'd like to know from non-dentists who aren't biased in getting the fees from these useless x-rays.

Xrays are not a profit source. Actually, letting teeth go bad to need a $1000 crown instead of a $200 filling is best for the dentist.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:59 PM

14,975 posts, read 12,191,568 times
Quote:
Just had my teeth cleaned today. I'm on the 6 month rotation. Pretty good with brushing and flossing.

At every cleaning, I decline the x-rays. My philosophy is that if I don't have symptoms, I don't need x-rays. It seems to me that the dentist is just getting them every year because the insurance company will pay for them. I haven't gotten x-rays in over 6 years and I'm just fine.

Today I got flack from the receptionist because I never get x-rays. Am I in the right or the wrong?
I get my teeth cleaned twice a year, and a quick visual check by the dentist one time after the cleaning. X-rays aren't offered at those times. I think they do full mouth x-rays every five years, unless, of course, there is a problem that needs x-rays.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 PM

5,187 posts, read 3,116,986 times
Absent any acute symptoms, our old dentist (of 12 years) did annual Xrays, every other visit. Our new dentist has recently changed their procedures and now asks to perform Xrays on every cleaning visit — twice a year. This seems excessive to me and I told them to put me back on a annual schedule.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:09 AM

23,372 posts, read 18,981,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I get my teeth cleaned twice a year, and a quick visual check by the dentist one time after the cleaning. X-rays aren't offered at those times. I think they do full mouth x-rays every five years, unless, of course, there is a problem that needs x-rays.
The past couple of dentists I used did one full mouth image every few years. Once a year they'd take bite wings to check status of teeth that were being "watched" or those had had some work done in the past. I only have a couple of fillings to check but I do have 3 crowns on molars because I ground my teeth pretty severely in the past. Doesn't seem excessive IMHO. I'd rather know those teeth continue to stay sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health