Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:20 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Main problem i had when first using dentures was sensitivity to the sharp ridges on the dentures rubbing on the central part of my upper palate,rather than continually going back to the denturologist for adjustments i used a piece of fine sandpaper to smooth out the sharp ridges.
Now 10 years later and better fitting dentures i can eat just about anything and with the addition of adhesive i can eat anything i could eat with my natural teeth including corn on the cob and apples.
I've had a similar issue with the upper denture. The edges being kind of sharp. As mentioned, it was resolved by smoothing and rounding the edge. I've also had issues from rubbing of the denture against the roundish bony part of the upper pallet. That thing really swelled up. That was resolved by widening the pocket in the denture to make more room. I've had issues with sharp edges along the sides of the dentures. Currently, the front of the lower denture seems to be digging in to the tissue in front. It feels kind of rough. Not sure how that happened but that will get worked out.

I have no problem going in to have issues resolved considering there's no extra cost to do it. My hands aren't so steady anymore so it's better for me to have it done professionally than to risk making a mess and ruining the denture. In addition, it gives an opportunity to be examined for any other possible issues that might not be so readily apparent.

It's great that you can apples and corn on the cob. I don't doubt that some people can do that. But I'd also be inclined to think that most won't be able to apart from some unusually strong holding adhesive. I think it's fair to say that not all mouths are the same, which is why dentures need to be custom fitted. That there is going to be shrinkage with the tissue as well as from gradual bone loss, adjustments over time are necessary. A soft reline seems to help adapt to changes, and add a bit more comfort and a snugger fit. The exception to bone loss (as I understand it) is that dentures with implant posts don't experience that at the location of the implant posts. Unfortunately, implants can be very spendy. That's certainly way out of my budget.

Adhesives are a messy, but often necessary, time-consuming, ritualistic hassle to deal with. Adding the adhesive is not a big problem. It's cleaning the sticky goo off both the dentures and gums that takes more time. But that's part of what has to be done with standard dentures. I've been using the usual paste adhesives that are found on store shelves everywhere. They're touted to last all day, but I'm lucky if it holds for 2 or 3 hours. When it comes to eating and chewing food, the so-called "Super Grip" kind of adhesive doesn't hold at all for me. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of adhesive are you using that lets you chomp on apples and corn on the cob?

I notice you mentioned "10 years later and better fitting dentures". Are those your original dentures or did you replaced them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
The first couple of years i used temporary plastic dentures then upgraded to a much more quality set of dentures./
Agreed using the glue can be messy and i seldom need the product but every once in a while i''l glue em in there.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The first couple of years i used temporary plastic dentures then upgraded to a much more quality set of dentures./
Agreed using the glue can be messy and i seldom need the product but every once in a while i''l glue em in there.
I have to use a paste adhesive to hold those buggers in place. Otherwise, even for just talking, they try to slide out. Don't want those babies damaged from falling on a hard floor. Most of the time, including when eating, I don't bother with leaving them in because for me it's too hard to chew or swallow food when wearing them. When we go out I wear them of course for the sake of appearance. I should get a pair of Dr. Bukk's Fine Teef when going out to visit and impress folks.
Dr Bukk Styles - Dr Bukk Funny Teef

The thing is that both the temporary and permanent dentures are made from the exact same material - acrylic which is a plastic. Sometimes they can be made of a thin metal foundation covered by acrylic. I think that's pretty much 'old school' for full dentures, apart from partials that incorporate metal wire that's used to loop over natural teeth for support.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dentur...plete_dentures

The point is that quality permanent dentures are essentially made of the same acrylic material as temporaries, except that the teeth are placed and arranged individually and more artistic care is provided to shape the gums to look more natural. Permanent dentures tend to be thinner, and as a result lighter in weight. One reason for the thickness of the temporaries is so they can be 'sculpted', trimmed, or sanded down for a more comfortable fit. As I understand it, the temps can be used as a guide for making the permanent dentures with respect to over all shape. Jambo, how did that work for you? Did your denturologist use your temps to make a mould for your upgraded set?

Color and shade of the teeth and gums can be chosen by the patient to give the denture a more natural look. With temporaries, there's no selection of tint or shading. Sometimes, maybe often, the teeth are simply set in place in a way that make them a look like a row of 'Chiclets'. There's no extra effort to make the teeth of immediate dentures look longer or the gums look more natural.

In a way, I think I kind of lucked out because the length of the teeth of my immediate dentures look reasonably realistic. However, they aren't 'sharp' and only a little effort was made to make the gums look natural, although they don't look all that bad either. There was no choice given with regard to color tint and shade of the teeth. Those options are included for the permanent dentures. There can be a number of different options to choose from when upgrading to a permanent set of dentures.

For anyone interested, here are a couple of videos. The first one shows the difference between temporary and permanent dentures. The second one shows how dentures are made from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID6fwScUJEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8jgtnyNnm0

Old 12-28-2015, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 20,812 times
Thanks all for your replies. They really help! Going in for a relighn today and hopefully this gets easier I thought I didn't have many whole teeth before and it was tough to eat but I had no idea this we be so bad! Hope I didn't make a big mistake! But didn't have 40k to fix them with bridges and crowns altho iam starting to feel like I made a big mistake. Hope Iam wrong

Old 12-28-2015, 06:02 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazbyc View Post
Thanks all for your replies. They really help! Going in for a relighn today and hopefully this gets easier I thought I didn't have many whole teeth before and it was tough to eat but I had no idea this we be so bad! Hope I didn't make a big mistake! But didn't have 40k to fix them with bridges and crowns altho iam starting to feel like I made a big mistake. Hope Iam wrong
I have had that feeling too but it will get better over time. Just make sure that if it hurts, or you can't chew food, that you go back for adjustments!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 20,812 times
I ate salad on day 8 you have to chop everything tiny but it works. Also I found that Cheetos puffs are great practice food because they stretch to both sides and they give just enough

Old 01-03-2016, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,157 times
My wife just had her upper teeth pulled and was giving temporary dentures. She is having a rough time with the headaches and the swelling. It has been three weeks now with no relief.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcajun View Post
My wife just had her upper teeth pulled and was giving temporary dentures. She is having a rough time with the headaches and the swelling. It has been three weeks now with no relief.
It took a while for the swelling to go down for me too. I think it took about 2 or 3 weeks before the stitches started to come loose and fall out. I didn't have any headaches, but the gums were very sore. I was given some antibiotics and pain meds before the surgery. I went in for checkups rather frequently. I had to leave the immediate dentures out for a while because the dentures were digging into the swollen gums. I'd suggest it would be a good idea for your wife to go back in for a followup exam to see how well things are healing up. She should go in whenever she's feeling any pain or discomfort. The swelling will go down but it can still feel uncomfortable for a while.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:46 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcajun View Post
I was very badly swollen and bruised after my 14 extractions. It took at least that 3 weeks and probably a bit more for all of my swelling to go down. I also ended up getting a sinus infection. Headache can be caused by sinus pressure. By now she should have been back for a recheck and stitches removal, if breakaway wasn't used. If not she should make an appointment.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,088 times
I just had 11 teeth removed with immediate upper denture.. I am on day 3 I will say horrible I was jist numbed and awake and it killed me having my teeth out.. the swelling sucks but pain is becoming more manageable.. I am happy with my dentures it was time my top teeth were absolutely horrible.. I am a smoker so I been smoking since when u shouldn't eating has been hard the first 24 to 48 hours but I am able to eat soup yogurt and stiff like that I just cant wait till i am on week 2 lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health