Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:30 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyone can really answer that but the Dentist who provided you the treatment. Have you gone back to this Dentist to see if there's help they could provide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 8,168 times
had my top and bottom teeth extracted 4 weeks ago. My top dentures fit reasonably well without adhesive but the lower dentures are loose so are continually moving when I talk. It is worse when I try to eat...just cannot keep the bottom dentures from raising and lifting. It's hard to eat even soft food and I end up virtually just swallowing food rather than chewing. I can only eat one right side as the left side hurts so much as if I have a bad tooth ache and ear ache. My dentist keeps telling me that I will get used to them and my tongue will learn to keep them in place. Is this true? Everyone who has dentures tells me that they should have been a tight fit when I first got them and then they loosen as gums shrink but mine were loose when I first got them. Even when I drink, the lower dentures raise up and I constantly have to push them down with my fingers. My dentist won't listen to me and insists that they will be a better fit once I get used to them. How can something that is too big to begin with become a better fit in weeks to come since my gums will shrink further in that time. They will be even looser in them. I don't understand this and am so fed up. My sister had new dentures made 10 years ago and hers were a really tight fit to begin with. I can't seem to make my dentist understand that I cannot eat (or drink) with my bottom dentures lifting off my gums which has also caused ulcers on lower gum.
Is it just a matter of getting used to controlling my tongue muscles so that the dentures don't raise up, or were they made too big for me in the first place.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:29 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Hi I have had dentures for 10 yrs now and still cannot chew or eat meat with them so I have basically become a vegan with them which is not a big deal but did not know that I would never be able to not eat steak ,pork , chicken etc with them . You get used to not eating meat and after 10 yrs I don't miss it and my dr says Im perfectly healthy . Most people don't need meat anyways there are other sources of protein available .

Old 03-31-2015, 03:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Phone Lady: If they aren't fitting after 10 years, they were a poor fit in the first place and you didn't get them relined or otherwise adjusted properly. Either that or you aren't using denture adhesive (which you should do if you have removable dentures).

mitten: It's not -just- a matter of controlling your tongue muscles. It's a combination of things:
1) you will go through a period of adjustment to wearing dentures at all. This can take a few weeks to a few months.
2) you will ALSO go through a period of mechanical adjustment of the dentures themselves - which means - the dentist will need to do a little shaving, a little sanding, a reline or three or four, until it's just right.
3) if your dentures are removable, you need to use denture adhesive. Using it is also a period of adjustment, until you learn exactly how much (actually - how little) to use to get them to create a tight seal.
4) You won't be able to eat crusty enormous chewy crunchy sandwiches anymore, without cutting them up into small bite-sized pieces. You -should- be able to have cheeseburgers as long as they're not incredibly thick (think - quarter pound instead of a third or half a pound on the same sized bun), hotdogs might need to get cut up first. Anything that you normally would cut into bitesized pieces (such as steak, or baked potatoes), you'll just need to cut into smaller bitesized pieces than before.

At four weeks it's time for you to get an adjustment. Accept that you will probably need a few of them during the next year, most of which will occur in the next six months.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,168 times
AnonChick thank you. I was beginning to think my dentures have been incorrectly made until you shed some light on what to expect in the next few months. I never imagined any problems with dentures prior to getting them myself. Always thought you could eat normally as soon as you get them. Well, I guess I am just going to have to acquire a lot of patience until I become master of these two plastic objects in my mouth.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:31 AM

My husband just got his "implant dentures" put in this week. He had 22 teeth extracted over a year ago, with temporary moveable dentures to wear throughout the past year. It was frustrating to see him have to go through so many transitions; and now that he has the "snap-ons" he has a beautiful smile, and his teeth don't move around after he takes a bite of anything. Plus - he's gone back to eating his subs with lettuce and tomato, which thrills me. He couldn't eat crisp veggies because it required that back and forth motion of teeth - grinding food. And every time he tried to do that his teeth would come loose.

So we learned that he'd need to cut things up into small bits, AND that he was perfectly able to chew (but not grind) with a bare mouth of nothing but gums.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:37 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitten View Post
AnonChick thank you. I was beginning to think my dentures have been incorrectly made until you shed some light on what to expect in the next few months. I never imagined any problems with dentures prior to getting them myself. Always thought you could eat normally as soon as you get them. Well, I guess I am just going to have to acquire a lot of patience until I become master of these two plastic objects in my mouth.
It's incredibly rare for someone to "eat normally" at any time with dentures. Denture are not a replacement for teeth....they are a replacement for not having teeth. Many people even take them out to eat. It's a piece of plastic floating in an ocean of spit. Imagine having a fake plastic hand and trying to pick up a pencil and write your name.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
It's incredibly rare for someone to "eat normally" at any time with dentures. Denture are not a replacement for teeth....they are a replacement for not having teeth. Many people even take them out to eat. It's a piece of plastic floating in an ocean of spit. Imagine having a fake plastic hand and trying to pick up a pencil and write your name.
Exception would be the implant dentures. They're not floating. They're snapped onto a gold frame, which is screwed into your jawbone. Those puppies don't budge til you snap them back out again.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
Yes implants change everything and are the best thing to come along in the history of dentistry. Of course, the best fix is never the cheapest.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 AM

108 posts, read 146,680 times
Dentures may feel quite odd, usually they feel big. They may cause increased saliva flow or they may alter speech. One should start by cutting food into small pieces, avoid hot foods, and avoid hard foods until the tissue, where the denture rests, becomes used to the new teeth. you can take practical help from dental discount plans. As time goes by, one will become accustomed to them. This will take time and you may get some sores initially, don’t panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health