U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2020, 11:43 AM
 
21,004 posts, read 6,033,896 times
Reputation: 12073

Advertisements

Ive had a large chunk of one tooth broken off for a long time, it never really hurt though up until recently, I believe the nerve is exposed, and that is whats causing the pain.


Ive been using 'Den temp', a soft white material that hardens when you put it on a tooth, pain stops as soon as I fill the hole with den temp.


But this got me wondering, I know that teeth can rot away over time....do the nerves also rot away as well? Seems like the nerve would rot faster, as they are not as hard as the teeth?


The reason why Im not going to have this extracted is because the tooth is broken off, there is nothing above the gum for the dentist to 'grab onto' to extract it, and I cannot afford oral surgery at the moment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2020, 01:22 PM
 
Location: on the wind
12,947 posts, read 6,482,898 times
Reputation: 42579
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive had a large chunk of one tooth broken off for a long time, it never really hurt though up until recently, I believe the nerve is exposed, and that is whats causing the pain.


Ive been using 'Den temp', a soft white material that hardens when you put it on a tooth, pain stops as soon as I fill the hole with den temp.


But this got me wondering, I know that teeth can rot away over time....do the nerves also rot away as well? Seems like the nerve would rot faster, as they are not as hard as the teeth?


The reason why Im not going to have this extracted is because the tooth is broken off, there is nothing above the gum for the dentist to 'grab onto' to extract it, and I cannot afford oral surgery at the moment.
Basic info about the anatomy of a tooth and tooth pain is easy to find OP. Have a dentist examine the broken tooth. He may be able to extract it or do a root canal or crown that can preserve what's left of it, protect the nerve, and relieve the pain.

There may already be an active infection. The longer you put this off the worse it will get (and the cost to fix it will probably get higher). Your band-aid isn't solving the problem. Ask the dentist about payment plans.

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/pi...of-the-teeth#1

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20352892

https://moorefamilydentist.com/root-canal-necessary

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-11-2020 at 01:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2020, 09:23 AM
 
3,763 posts, read 940,792 times
Reputation: 3746
It's an extra $1000 for root canal if the nerve gets damaged. If you break a tooth don't wait until that happens.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 AM
 
21,004 posts, read 6,033,896 times
Reputation: 12073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
It's an extra $1000 for root canal if the nerve gets damaged. If you break a tooth don't wait until that happens.
Im not trying to save the tooth, (Im on my way to full dentures), I already have a top set, and have had several other lower teeth removed over the years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2020, 04:09 PM
 
3,763 posts, read 940,792 times
Reputation: 3746
It's still not good it bacteria get to the nerve and it gets infected. It can spread deeper into your jaw and surrounding tissue or even to other areas of your body.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2020, 04:10 PM
 
Location: on the wind
12,947 posts, read 6,482,898 times
Reputation: 42579
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not trying to save the tooth, (Im on my way to full dentures), I already have a top set, and have had several other lower teeth removed over the years.
Procrastinating or doing nothing about it isn't doing you any favors OP. If there's an active infection brewing it could spread to the bone in your jaw. The longer you wait the worse it will get and the higher the bill. Bacteria can spread through the bloodstream, damage other organs including your heart.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-22-2020 at 04:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2020, 12:06 AM
 
21,004 posts, read 6,033,896 times
Reputation: 12073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Procrastinating or doing nothing about it isn't doing you any favors OP. If there's an active infection brewing it could spread to the bone in your jaw. The longer you wait the worse it will get and the higher the bill. Bacteria can spread through the bloodstream, damage other organs including your heart.
There is no infection yet. I have an appt monday morning for the extraction...Im a little worried though, because only half of the tooth is there, its broken off at the gum line, I dont know how they will be able to grasp onto whats left and be able to yank it out?!!


I dont want to look at or hear about any tooth pulling dental tools though, ( my anxiety is too much of a concern...getting a tooth pulled is MAJOR 'tick' for me, its almost too much for me to handle).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2020, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Florida
7,197 posts, read 4,604,839 times
Reputation: 12288
Don't worry, they'll be able to extract it and you will be nice and numb and will not feel any pain. I'm glad you're getting it taken care of. Dental infections are no joke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2020, 03:32 AM
 
1 posts, read 627 times
Reputation: 10
You can try 'Salt Water rinse' for pain relief. Salt water is a natural disinfectant and help reduce inflammation and heal any oral wounds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2020, 06:32 PM
 
10,177 posts, read 5,723,326 times
Reputation: 15716
Take it from me. I had decay under a crown on a back molar, which hurt off and on, but eventually stopped hurting (I guess the nerve finally died, and my philosophy was "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"). Gradually the crown became a bit wobbly as there was less tooth to adhere to -- it continued to decay, although it was painless -- and one day it fell off altogether, leaving a molar essentially rotted away at the gum line. Unfortunately, this happened to be at the beginning of COVID and, even if my dentist were seeing people (I don't think he was), I probably would've been too paranoid to go. But still, NO PAIN. Well, several months later, I have myself a fine infection (not sure if it's at the apex of the root or actually in the jaw), and my dentist can't prescribe opioids over the phone, and OTC painkillers aren't touching it, and I am IN PAIN. I'm seeing him tomorrow, but I wish I hadn't put off until then what I could have done yesterday. It comes back to "bite" you...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top