Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 12:25 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

So I went in for my extraction, unfortunately the tooth is infected so Im taking antibiotics and will go back on Nov 3 for them to extract.

They went over their quote on full dentures on top and basically leaving my 4 front bottom teeth, and doing some extensive work on 2 of those teeth, 2 crowns and a root canal, and a partial for bottom...it will be around $6500. (but this does not include extraction)...

They gave me a referral to an oral surgeon to remove 7 teeth total. Im estimating that will be around $2-3K alone!

I told the dentist I wanted full dentures top and bottom, but I think she wanted me to keep the 4 bottom front teeth, (or she thought they could be saved anyway), I think all the extensive dental work to those 4 teeth may be why the quote is so high, what do you all think?

This is turning into MUCH more than I was wanting to spend! Heck, my Rhinoplasty quote was for around $5K, and that includes EVERYTHING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 05:48 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
You're only 47 years old (according to another thread of yours) ... and you are OK with getting full dentures?

I am not surprised at all that your dentist is suggesting SAVING your bottom 4 teeth (even though you are fine with having them all pulled). I've read of people getting bottom dentures and apparently bottom teeth are MUCH more important for biting, chewing, etc. than top teeth, so that may be another reason why you dentist wants to save yours.

I had an infected back tooth last December -- that tooth started hurting out of the blue, and I hadn't had a toothache in literally 30 years (I am 61 now) so I had forgotten how much they hurt. My left cheek also swelled tremendously so I knew something was very, very wrong. Luckily for me it just took a deep cleaning of that one tooth plus antibiotics, and by the next morning, the swelling was COMPLETELY gone, and the pain too -- but more to the point of this thread, I told my dentist right at the start that I would MUCH rather spend a few thousand dollars SAVING a tooth than just having it pulled. (And the cost ended up being a couple hundred, not a few thousand!)

I will do whatever I can to SAVE all of my teeth for as long as possible (hopefully until I die). Have you just had really bad experiences with your teeth and so you just want them OUT of your mouth? I don't mean to be rude -- I am just really puzzled. When I read your first post in this thread, I assumed you must be in your 70s or 80s and then I read in your other thread (on rhinoplasty) that you were just 47.

I would rather keep my teeth and have a big nose than lose my teeth ... but I know we are all different. I DO wish you luck, whatever you decide.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You're only 47 years old (according to another thread of yours) ... and you are OK with getting full dentures?

I am not surprised at all that your dentist is suggesting SAVING your bottom 4 teeth (even though you are fine with having them all pulled). I've read of people getting bottom dentures and apparently bottom teeth are MUCH more important for biting, chewing, etc. than top teeth, so that may be another reason why you dentist wants to save yours.

I had an infected back tooth last December -- that tooth started hurting out of the blue, and I hadn't had a toothache in literally 30 years (I am 61 now) so I had forgotten how much they hurt. My left cheek also swelled tremendously so I knew something was very, very wrong. Luckily for me it just took a deep cleaning of that one tooth plus antibiotics, and by the next morning, the swelling was COMPLETELY gone, and the pain too -- but more to the point of this thread, I told my dentist right at the start that I would MUCH rather spend a few thousand dollars SAVING a tooth than just having it pulled. (And the cost ended up being a couple hundred, not a few thousand!)

I will do whatever I can to SAVE all of my teeth for as long as possible (hopefully until I die). Have you just had really bad experiences with your teeth and so you just want them OUT of your mouth? I don't mean to be rude -- I am just really puzzled. When I read your first post in this thread, I assumed you must be in your 70s or 80s and then I read in your other thread (on rhinoplasty) that you were just 47.

I would rather keep my teeth and have a big nose than lose my teeth ... but I know we are all different. I DO wish you luck, whatever you decide.
Ive had a partial on top for close to 15 years now, I have never had good teeth, they started having problems in my early 20s, and Ive had extractions here and there over the years as the teeth deteriorate.

I was just born with a bad set of teeth, they were straight and I always brushed and used mouthwash, but it never seem to do any good, my teeth continued to deteriorate.

Im not really self conscious about my teeth, my upper partial is still in great shape and outwardly appearance wise, no one can really tell my teeth are that bad...my nose however, sticks out like a sore thumb!

Old 10-29-2020, 11:47 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
So I went in for my extraction, unfortunately the tooth is infected so Im taking antibiotics and will go back on Nov 3 for them to extract.

They went over their quote on full dentures on top and basically leaving my 4 front bottom teeth, and doing some extensive work on 2 of those teeth, 2 crowns and a root canal, and a partial for bottom...it will be around $6500. (but this does not include extraction)...

They gave me a referral to an oral surgeon to remove 7 teeth total. Im estimating that will be around $2-3K alone!

I told the dentist I wanted full dentures top and bottom, but I think she wanted me to keep the 4 bottom front teeth, (or she thought they could be saved anyway), I think all the extensive dental work to those 4 teeth may be why the quote is so high, what do you all think?

This is turning into MUCH more than I was wanting to spend! Heck, my Rhinoplasty quote was for around $5K, and that includes EVERYTHING!
Unless you are limited to going to Aspen dental I would get another opinion. Aspen has a pretty bad reputation for overselling services, and most of these corporate dental chains use dentists who just graduated (not slamming new dentists, but for expensive complicated work I would prefer someone who is experienced0. They have to give you your x-rays for free, if I were you I would get them and try to get opinions from two local dentists who aren't part of a corporation. The easiest way to do that is look for an office with the Dentists name, not 'Aspen' or "Modern Dental' or 'Smile Again'.

Keep whatever teeth you can! Bottom dentures are very difficult to keep in place, they just sort of lay on top of your jaw there's not much to keep them in place.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Unless you are limited to going to Aspen dental I would get another opinion. Aspen has a pretty bad reputation for overselling services, and most of these corporate dental chains use dentists who just graduated (not slamming new dentists, but for expensive complicated work I would prefer someone who is experienced0. They have to give you your x-rays for free, if I were you I would get them and try to get opinions from two local dentists who aren't part of a corporation. The easiest way to do that is look for an office with the Dentists name, not 'Aspen' or "Modern Dental' or 'Smile Again'.

Keep whatever teeth you can! Bottom dentures are very difficult to keep in place, they just sort of lay on top of your jaw there's not much to keep them in place.
The only reason I went with Aspen was because they were the ones who had the first available appt for extraction, Im not limited to them or anyone, Ive thought about seeking a second opinion too, if Im going to spend that kind of money, a second opinion is a must.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The only reason I went with Aspen was because they were the ones who had the first available appt for extraction, Im not limited to them or anyone, Ive thought about seeking a second opinion too, if Im going to spend that kind of money, a second opinion is a must.
I've used Yelp! for recommendations on dentists, but you can't accept all the reviews at face value. One dental office I looked at got almost all excellent reviews but the reviewers were all brand new Yelp! members with no friends or prior reviews and some of them lived in a different state so it was a little hard to figure out why they would travel hundreds of miles to go to a particular dental office. I've seen that happen with bad reviews too, new people with no history of reviewing businesses down vote dentists (probably because they work for or are relatives or friends of a competing dentist) But if you look for solid recent reviews it can at least give you an idea of who you might want to seek a second opinion from.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! If you have a technical question about a procedure you might check the dental forum on Reddit, there are a lot of dentists who regularly follow the forum and if you post your x-rays they will look at them and give you their opinion. We used to have 2 or 3 dentists who posted here but I haven't seen them for quite a while

Old 12-08-2020, 12:30 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
I've used Yelp! for recommendations on dentists, but you can't accept all the reviews at face value. One dental office I looked at got almost all excellent reviews but the reviewers were all brand new Yelp! members with no friends or prior reviews and some of them lived in a different state so it was a little hard to figure out why they would travel hundreds of miles to go to a particular dental office. I've seen that happen with bad reviews too, new people with no history of reviewing businesses down vote dentists (probably because they work for or are relatives or friends of a competing dentist) But if you look for solid recent reviews it can at least give you an idea of who you might want to seek a second opinion from.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! If you have a technical question about a procedure you might check the dental forum on Reddit, there are a lot of dentists who regularly follow the forum and if you post your x-rays they will look at them and give you their opinion. We used to have 2 or 3 dentists who posted here but I haven't seen them for quite a while

There is an entire industry of companies to generate positive reviews on Yelp, Google and other websites for businesses including medical/dental practices. They send each patient a simple question if they are pleased with their care. If the answer is no, they invite you to discuss it with the office and they don't mention a review. If your answer is yes, they ask you to write a review and give you the links to make it easy.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
There is an entire industry of companies to generate positive reviews on Yelp, Google and other websites for businesses including medical/dental practices. They send each patient a simple question if they are pleased with their care. If the answer is no, they invite you to discuss it with the office and they don't mention a review. If your answer is yes, they ask you to write a review and give you the links to make it easy.
I know how that works, but it's easy to pick those reviews out - and they are generally posted to Google or one of the Dentist review sites rather than Yelp! Yelp! reviews have to be posted by a logged in Yelp! member and most of the dentists who ask their patients to review them don't go to the trouble of asking them to register for Yelp! or to log into it and post a review.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:35 PM

421 posts, read 280,729 times
Quote:

I agree

Old 12-21-2020, 12:44 PM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:

I was just born with a bad set of teeth, they were straight and I always brushed and used mouthwash, but it never seem to do any good, my teeth continued to deteriorate.

Amazing how often that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health