Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 06:55 PM

315 posts, read 300,450 times

Advertisements

So I had a dental crown added while living in one side of a large metro area the size of Atlanta Metro. I since moved to the other side of the city 5 years later. A few days ago that dental crown fell out. So the original dentist that installed it is about 20 miles away. There are a lot of dentists in my new neighborhood.

Now I'm in IT field and know very little about dentist work. However, is the process of replacing a crown for a healthy adult of late 30's standard enough among dentists that I can just use a local dentist? That is instead of having to drive all the way down to the original dentist again.

Please pardon my ignorance I just wanted to get a non-biased opinion instead of waltzing into the office of a more closer dentist and asking "do you replace crowns?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 07:03 PM

828 posts, read 416,168 times
Still happens enough that it is common. Any dentist will do. They just glue it back on.

Funny thing is Amazon even sells a DIY kit. But dont do that. It still needs to be checked and done by a densist.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:25 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
Still happens enough that it is common. Any dentist will do. They just glue it back on.

Funny thing is Amazon even sells a DIY kit. But dont do that. It still needs to be checked and done by a densist.
They can glue it back on if the crown and supporting tooth has no damage, I've had both happen. Usually if the crown falls off undamaged, it's quickly after if was first put on. If a crown comes off years later, it probably has had damage and you might need a new crown.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:38 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post

You can buy a tube of temporary dental cement at CVS. But like you said, it has to be permanently reattached by a dentist. If you decided to put it in yourself with permanent glue the tooth would probably have bacteria on it and decay under the crown

Old 12-10-2020, 11:40 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Get it looked at. My crown popped off and when I saw my dentist to reglue, the post was broken. A whole new root canal needed.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Get it looked at. My crown popped off and when I saw my dentist to reglue, the post was broken. A whole new root canal needed.
Yes, it can go either way. I would prefer my own dentist but it's not a big deal. I have had several come off and get glued back on (darned Sees Candies suckers) but just Monday I I spent two hours in the chair starting to have one replaced. It was a gold crown from the 1970s that had worn out, so had to be cut and peeled off. First I got 4 numbing shots, then there was a lot of grinding to clean the old adhesive off and then application of those colored string things, then impressions, and finally a temporary until next week.

OP, hopefully yours is just a glue back on job!

Old 12-10-2020, 01:41 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
If it didn't fall off because of decay on the tooth it can just be cemented back on. I had it happen once.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:28 AM

315 posts, read 300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
If it didn't fall off because of decay on the tooth it can just be cemented back on. I had it happen once.
Wow. what kind of crown was it and how long did yours last?

Old 12-15-2020, 10:37 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
I had one fall off after 20 years and I had moved cross country. I went back to the same place that put it on and he glued it back on for free.

(I happened to be about an hour away and heading toward my old home town when it fell off!).

Old 12-15-2020, 11:47 PM

39 posts, read 31,289 times
Had one fall out after having it completed. The dentist simply cleaned it and put it back in. Looking back big mistake. Dont think it was done right in the first place. Fast forward three years. Decay under and around crown. Two hours of removal and then back to have a new one to replace it. Cost me $1000 out of pocket. The first dentist had retired so no recourse. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health