Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 08:02 AM

9,545 posts, read 16,584,751 times

Advertisements

I had a Dental Checkup at a new dentist on Wednesday just 4 days ago. The appt was at 3:15pm and I got out of the chair at 5:40pm. The dental office is as cold as a meat locker and they offer patients a blanket because of the cold. What was done was a few Xrays, they already had the full mouth xrays from my previous dentist. So they did the exam and then a cleaning. The Hygentist said my teeth were very clean so I only needed a slight cleaning and polishing. I don't think she took 15 minutes doing this cleaning and it was done. Honestly I don't feel like I had a cleaning at all. I don't have that nice clean mouth feel one gets after a cleaning. I also noticed and its nothing really but do Dentist not give that little dental gift with the toothpaste, brush and floss anymore. I didn't get one. Most of what i did there was just sit in the chair and wait for them. No wonder the appt took so ridiculously long. Then the dentist comes in and says my teeth are ok, but I could use a crown on a tooth that has a slight fracture. It has a filling in it. So I was shown a picture of that tooth and agreed to do the crown next month. When I got home later that night, my mouth hurt a little. I thought it was from them sticking the xray equipment in my mouth. I let it go but Friday it started feeling like a toothache. The dentist is closed on Friday. The aching is where the tooth is where I'm told I should get a crown. I can't get ahold of them all weekend. So tomorrow I have to call about this. In my view this sudden toothache has something to do with this visit. Any thoughts.

I don't know how comfortable I am with this Dentist office, but my insurance is in charge of where I go. Plus the few dentist I can go to here are not recommended and the wait lists are months out. I'm in Florida and believe me waitlists are very common down here because of the high population and visitors. Not to mention the medical care isn't all that great in some areas here. This particular dentist told me she does not like to deal with insurance companies, can't say I blame her. However she is a PPO for my Met Life Dental plan. I'm now afraid Met LIfe will not pay for another appt as I used up one already. I believe they only cover exams every 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 09:51 AM

4,258 posts, read 2,566,370 times
I have dental insurance, but I stopped just going to dentists that take the insurance. I'm willing now to pay more for a really good dentist after my less than satisfactory experiences in the past.

I would wait a few more days to see if any irritation settles down and also see if it the tooth or the gums.

If you are near a teaching hospital, one thing to consider is being a patient there; the prices are cheaper, the equipment state of the art and the work is very well supervised.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:39 PM

23,496 posts, read 19,198,031 times
I had a Dental Checkup at a new dentist on Wednesday just 4 days ago.

New dentist. Dentists are not robots. They have different levels of expertise and technique, and have preferences in how they manage patients.

The dental office is as cold as a meat locker and they offer patients a blanket because of the cold.

In general, a colder environment discourages pathogen growth. Maybe the building was having problems with the heating. Who knows? Nice of them to acknowledge it and supply blankets!

What was done was a few Xrays, they already had the full mouth xrays from my previous dentist.

How old were those x-rays? Your teeth don't remain the same over time. Cavities can pop up or progress at any time. Xrays need to be redone periodically. IME, when I've changed to a new dentist they usually want their own current films to establish a baseline for your patient record. The baseline allows them to detect changes over time. Who knows...their xray equipment might have been better than your previous dentist's. Maybe the films weren't very good. You could have refused the xrays but they can also refuse to treat you.

I]I also noticed and its nothing really but do Dentist not give that little dental gift with the toothpaste, brush and floss anymore. I didn't get one.[/i]

Are you 12? Need a present or lollipop for being a good patient? The more "stuff" they stock in their practice office the more cleaning and sanitizing they need to do, especially now. Those gifts are usually freebie incentives medical supply houses hand out hoping to entice business. Maybe this practice chooses not to accept those "bribes". More people prefer choosing their own dental care products these days anyway.

Most of what i did there was just sit in the chair and wait for them. No wonder the appt took so ridiculously long.

The dentist doesn't have full control of the time other patients need. Another procedure might have taken more time than anticipated. They can't stop in the middle of someone else's work just to satisfy you. You have to wait. They also have more disinfecting/sanitation protocols to follow right now. That takes more time.

Then the dentist comes in and says my teeth are ok, but I could use a crown on a tooth that has a slight fracture. It has a filling in it. So I was shown a picture of that tooth and agreed to do the crown next month. When I got home later that night, my mouth hurt a little. I thought it was from them sticking the xray equipment in my mouth. I let it go but Friday it started feeling like a toothache. The dentist is closed on Friday. The aching is where the tooth is where I'm told I should get a crown. I can't get ahold of them all weekend.

The hygienist and dentist were poking around in your mouth with instruments, examining your gums and teeth, pushing things around while cleaning. Very common for things to be a little sore afterward. A little disturbance to the tooth that needs repair could have irritated the nerve, or it could be coincidental. That tooth could have started aching whether you went to a dentist or not. You know the tooth is damaged. They didn't cause that damage.

So tomorrow I have to call about this. In my view this sudden toothache has something to do with this visit. Any thoughts.

So, call them on Monday! Doesn't sound like an emergency.

I don't know how comfortable I am with this Dentist office, but my insurance is in charge of where I go. Plus the few dentist I can go to here are not recommended and the wait lists are months out. I'm in Florida and believe me waitlists are very common down here because of the high population and visitors. Not to mention the medical care isn't all that great in some areas here. This particular dentist told me she does not like to deal with insurance companies, can't say I blame her. However she is a PPO for my Met Life Dental plan. I'm now afraid Met LIfe will not pay for another appt as I used up one already. I believe they only cover exams every 6 months.

Looks like you'll need to decide whether to live with this dentist or pay out of pocket. FWIW, my current dentist doesn't take most insurance plans. She prefers to charge the patient the direct costs which are often lower. Up to you to decide here OP.

FWIW, this didn't sound like a "weird" appointment at all.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-28-2021 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-28-2021, 02:37 PM

9,545 posts, read 16,584,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I have dental insurance, but I stopped just going to dentists that take the insurance. I'm willing now to pay more for a really good dentist after my less than satisfactory experiences in the past.

I would wait a few more days to see if any irritation settles down and also see if it the tooth or the gums.

If you are near a teaching hospital, one thing to consider is being a patient there; the prices are cheaper, the equipment state of the art and the work is very well supervised.
Thanks for the reply. I find not all dentist even take insurance now days. I tried a dental school once for dental care. It was the Dental College in Portland, Or. When they gave me estimate of charges, the bill was alot more than I'd pay thru Ins. They didn't take Ins. So I declined and went to my regular dentist. I miss the Dentist I had in Portland. When you move and have to start over with Dentist and Doctors it's difficult.

Old 03-28-2021, 03:36 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,566,370 times
It is difficult. I have significant TMJ problems which compounds everything dental. When I moved back to VA, the dentist I saw came recommended, but I saw he did not have the skill level I needed. I ended up interviewing/consulting in person three dentists; the visits lasted about 15 minutes. The last one I saw charged me for the visit, but I ended up with her and could not be happier.

A dentist may not participate in dental insurance, but might file for you and then bill for the difference; or, you might be able to file on your own. Either way, the options are limited. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by webster; 03-28-2021 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-28-2021, 08:34 PM

5,735 posts, read 4,347,834 times
That tooth may have more than a slight fracture. If it does, once they start grinding it down for a crown they could stop and say, "I can't save that tooth, the fracture is too deep". Then you have an even bigger decision to make. It happened to me. You want to get a crown on there asap so it doesn't crack further, but I'm not sure I'd want to go back to that dentist myself. But insurance may pay for a crown, and probably not for an implant. Ask them if you can get a 2nd opinion, they should pay for that.

The dentistry school is a good idea. I'd try to find one if you can't find a dentist you're comfortable with. I can't go to dentists I'm not comfortable with.

PS-I always take whatever they offer when I leave, usually a toothbrush, floss and maybe some proxy brushes. Its free. I don't pass up frree stuff that I can use. I generally don't ask for lollipops.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:58 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,496,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Are you 12? Need a present or lollipop for being a good patient? The more "stuff" they stock in their practice office the more cleaning and sanitizing they need to do, especially now. Those gifts are usually freebie incentives medical supply houses hand out hoping to entice business. Maybe this practice chooses not to accept those "bribes". More people prefer choosing their own dental care products these days anyway.
Parnassia, your response to the OP regarding dental "gifts" (or bribes, as you call them) seems a little harsh to me. Our dentists usually do give us a variety of items such as dental floss, Oral B toothbrushes, small toothpastes, etc. and I find them quite useful to have, especially new flossing products. Even if we many of us choose tried and true favorite toothbrushes for ourselves, it is useful to see what other products are available.

Regarding sanitary practice, it seems to me that if there is any concern with the sterility of fully sealed new toothbrushes, toothpaste and/ or dental floss, there should be significantly more concern with blankets, which are not likely sterilized between patients.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:43 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,871,709 times
Not only did I not get a “goody” bag from my new dentist, the hygienist chipped my tooth getting some plaque off and I was charged a $10 “Covid” fee to offset what it costs them to keep things clean there! I really doubt I’ll be going back but they took a lot of X-rays. Can they be sent to another dentist, I feel I paid for them?

Old 03-28-2021, 09:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,587,759 times
I would have a problem with a 2.5 hour cleaning/check-up visit unless they told me there was an emergency situation, etc. I am in and out in about an hour for a regular visit.

I only get x-rays every 3-5 years unless I am having an issue. You can say no to x-rays and they can refuse to service you. My dentist is fine with my schedule of x-rays - depends on what you agree to.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:32 AM

5,735 posts, read 4,347,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Not only did I not get a “goody” bag from my new dentist, the hygienist chipped my tooth getting some plaque off and I was charged a $10 “Covid” fee to offset what it costs them to keep things clean there! I really doubt I’ll be going back but they took a lot of X-rays. Can they be sent to another dentist, I feel I paid for them?

Of course you can have them sent to another dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health