Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2021, 09:59 AM

90 posts, read 253,379 times

Advertisements

Greetings.

I am in need of a single dental implant (tooth 12, incase anyone's curious). With my insurance, the cost is almost $3,000. The procedure calls for a bone graft, as well as, a sinus lift, both adding to the total price.

I have read that many Americans go into Tijuana for dental work because the cost is significantly lower. I would be traveling only from San Diego, so the distance wouldn't be great. However, I have never driven across the border before and don't know what to expect, how to get around, or how long the process will take. Most dental implants require two, sometimes three, visits over the span of a year. I am curious how the procedures work in TJ. How can a doctor there perform the procedure without first examining the patient? Do a lot of Americans simply book appointments and then just show up? I have x-rays I could send but is that really enough? Wouldn't I have to see the doctor beforehand?

My other question, of course, has to do with the cost. Would it be significantly less expensive in TJ than if I had it done locally? Also, the sheer "cost" and overall annoyance of needing to cross the border (potentially several times) also weighs on everything. Is driving across a hassle? Is it really "worth it?" Would having the procedure done locally, with no travel required, offset the headache of going into TJ? Just something I'm thinking about.

I suppose I am here to gather information and get people's opinions on this matter. If anyone has any thoughts on:

-What it's like to drive across the border (am I making it too big of a deal?)
-Can opine if they have had dental work done in TJ before
-Can recommend a great dentist

I would truly appreciate it.

Many thanks to all!

Last edited by Trekker34; 05-11-2021 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 05:56 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker34 View Post
Greetings.

I am in need of a single dental implant (tooth 12, incase anyone's curious). With my insurance, the cost is almost $3,000. The procedure calls for a bone graft, as well as, a sinus lift, both adding to the total price.

I have read that many Americans go into Tijuana for dental work because the cost is significantly lower. I would be traveling only from San Diego, so the distance wouldn't be great. However, I have never driven across the border before and don't know what to expect, how to get around, or how long the process will take. Most dental implants require two, sometimes three, visits over the span of a year. I am curious how the procedures work in TJ. How can a doctor there perform the procedure without first examining the patient? Do a lot of Americans simply book appointments and then just show up? I have x-rays I could send but is that really enough? Wouldn't I have to see the doctor beforehand?

My other question, of course, has to do with the cost. Would it be significantly less expensive in TJ than if I had it done locally? Also, the sheer "cost" and overall annoyance of needing to cross the border (potentially several times) also weighs on everything. Is driving across a hassle? Is it really "worth it?" Would having the procedure done locally, with no travel required, offset the headache of going into TJ? Just something I'm thinking about.

I suppose I am here to gather information and get people's opinions on this matter. If anyone has any thoughts on:

-What it's like to drive across the border (am I making it too big of a deal?)
-Can opine if they have had dental work done in TJ before
-Can recommend a great dentist

I would truly appreciate it.

Many thanks to all!

I assume your insurance is covering a large part of the US cost, because you can't get a bone graft, sinus lift and implant in the US for $3000. Its gotta be double or triple that. So 3000 must be your out of pocket cost.

I can't help with Tijuana specifically but I've had work crown and bridge work done in Palomas MX and would do so again. I draw the line at surgery though. I don't trust them that much. Personally, if I had the $3000 and it wouldn't be too much hardship, I would have it done in the US in a heartbeat over MX. The work done in MX is great for the price, but that's the catch...for the price. Its adequate, its functional, not the same quality you'd get from a highly competent US dentist.

(I wouldn't get a sinus lift in any country, including the US...it just sounds risky and just doesn't appeal to me at all. When that was the only option for replacing a molar, I opted out. Years later I'm getting a nestbit partial instead)

Old 05-13-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I assume your insurance is covering a large part of the US cost, because you can't get a bone graft, sinus lift and implant in the US for $3000. Its gotta be double or triple that. So 3000 must be your out of pocket cost.

I can't help with Tijuana specifically but I've had work crown and bridge work done in Palomas MX and would do so again. I draw the line at surgery though. I don't trust them that much. Personally, if I had the $3000 and it wouldn't be too much hardship, I would have it done in the US in a heartbeat over MX. The work done in MX is great for the price, but that's the catch...for the price. Its adequate, its functional, not the same quality you'd get from a highly competent US dentist.

(I wouldn't get a sinus lift in any country, including the US...it just sounds risky and just doesn't appeal to me at all. When that was the only option for replacing a molar, I opted out. Years later I'm getting a nestbit partial instead)
I appreciate your feedback.

Yes, my insurance is covering about half of the total cost. The dentist I went to for a consultation said they would try and bill my insurance for additional costs and see if they will cover it but there's no guarantee.

The sinus lift, I was told, is really no big deal and recovery is quite simple.

For me, it's all about weighing the cost vs having it done at home for $3000 or the "hassle" of going into TJ (possibly several times) for potentially, much less money.

I have spoken to two different dentists about this and neither has suggested anything other than an implant or a bridge to solve this problem. I don't want to get a bridge because they're not as successful or as long lasting as an implant. Plus, the two teeth on either side are fine and they'd have to be "sacrificed" for a bridge.

My first appointment for the extraction is in about a month so I still have time to figure things out. I just wonder how much having the implant performed in TJ would save me? Are we talking a savings of $500 or $1500? For that latter, I may just do it. For around $500, I'd rather stay locally.

Many thanks, again, and if anyone else cares to chime in, I'd welcome any advice.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:37 AM

Up to 1 in 50 people develop chronic sinusitis after a sinus lift. As someone who has had sinus problems, mostly in the past, no tooth is worth that risk to me. YMMV of course. I will avoid any type of surgery unless its necessary and YMMV on that too.

I don't think you will have significant savings doing it in MX, since your insurance is covering part of it in the US.

This Tijuana website has prices https://www.tijuanadentistcenter.com...ntal-implants/

You're in it for nearly 3 grand even in MX. Lift+implant+abutment+crown=1000+795+380+400-500=not worth it.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Up to 1 in 50 people develop chronic sinusitis after a sinus lift. As someone who has had sinus problems, mostly in the past, no tooth is worth that risk to me. YMMV of course. I will avoid any type of surgery unless its necessary and YMMV on that too.

I don't think you will have significant savings doing it in MX, since your insurance is covering part of it in the US.

This Tijuana website has prices https://www.tijuanadentistcenter.com...ntal-implants/

You're in it for nearly 3 grand even in MX. Lift+implant+abutment+crown=1000+795+380+400-500=not worth it.
Re: the sinus lift, I don't think I have a choice whether or not to have it done. The dentist certainly didn't mention any other alternatives. The need for the implant is something I have forgone for about 5 years and, according to my dentist, the surrounding teeth have started to shift. They also mentioned this can cause further loss of bone (adding to the need for the lift), which will continue to happen without getting the implant.

The sinus lift procedure itself doesn't bother me, but I am worried about an infection and what the recovery might be like. I have read stories from people who have had terrible recoveries and have dealt with all sorts of complications and others who said it was a breeze, nothing more than a day or two of mild discomfort.

I wish I could not have the implant at all. This all happened about 5 years ago when half a crown from a root canal broke off. Since that happened, I have suffered no ill effects whatsoever. Apart from my teeth apparently slightly shifting, which I was totally unaware of, it's been something I have almost never thought about. I kind of wish there was a third option between getting an implant and a bridge. One option (the implant), seems so involved and invasive, whereas the bridge isn't as reliable and would need to screw up the two surrounding teeth. It's hard to believe there isn't a better option. Although maybe there is and I just don't know about it??

Again, if it weren't for the fact that my teeth are shifting and the possibility of bone loss, I'd probably just leave everything alone. *sigh*

Old 05-15-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker34 View Post
Re: the sinus lift, I don't think I have a choice whether or not to have it done. The dentist certainly didn't mention any other alternatives. The need for the implant is something I have forgone for about 5 years and, according to my dentist, the surrounding teeth have started to shift. They also mentioned this can cause further loss of bone (adding to the need for the lift), which will continue to happen without getting the implant.

The sinus lift procedure itself doesn't bother me, but I am worried about an infection and what the recovery might be like. I have read stories from people who have had terrible recoveries and have dealt with all sorts of complications and others who said it was a breeze, nothing more than a day or two of mild discomfort.

I wish I could not have the implant at all. This all happened about 5 years ago when half a crown from a root canal broke off. Since that happened, I have suffered no ill effects whatsoever. Apart from my teeth apparently slightly shifting, which I was totally unaware of, it's been something I have almost never thought about. I kind of wish there was a third option between getting an implant and a bridge. One option (the implant), seems so involved and invasive, whereas the bridge isn't as reliable and would need to screw up the two surrounding teeth. It's hard to believe there isn't a better option. Although maybe there is and I just don't know about it??

Again, if it weren't for the fact that my teeth are shifting and the possibility of bone loss, I'd probably just leave everything alone. *sigh*

The alternative to the sinus lift is to not get the implant. Then you only have to consider the remaining options. One of those is a removable partial, which may not help a huge amount with bone loss but will help keep the adjacent teeth in place. Your age may play into the decision. If you're younger preserving as much bone as possible may be more important than if you're on the downhill slide anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health