Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 07:51 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times

Advertisements

Just out to make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 01:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
They are in business to clean up the damage millions have done to their mouths and YES many to make more money. I have not been to a dentist in over 10 yrs and I've learned to take care of my mouth and more so in these later years. Keeping lots of sugars out of my mouth is a big one for sure. And don't forget WINE is sugar. I stopped wines over 5 yrs ago. I have posted here what I do overall and addition of Coconut Oil Toothpaste in over the last 7 yrs or so has made a significant change for me. I'm sure the dentists miss me....I don't miss them.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:54 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,148 times
If you just need a cleaning and want to go often for cheap, go to a dental school clinic or school where they train the dental hygienists.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
They cant pay their bills on just checkup and cleansing.
office rent,computer ,staff,supplies,all the paperwork involved

Old 06-23-2021, 03:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I am convinced that modern dentists attend seminars with names like "Maximizing Patient Dollars" and such. It has become out-of-control. My hygienist told me once that the ADA requires that they do every three month visits for a year after a patient require deep cleaning which in itself we must take their word for us needing. I despise what dentistry has become.

I got to an early appointment last year while the staff was still in their office meeting while I waited in the lobby. I could hear the doctor plainly and she was congratulating the staff on their revenue the previous week and encouraging them to exceed it this week.

I agree with this. Dentistry school is expensive, and because dental care has improved greatly (flouride and toothpaste) over the last half century there is probably less actual need. Dentists don't make money just on routine cleanings.

Wisdom teeth removal is a big cash cow that is now pushed on everyone regardless of true need. My son had braces at the same time his dentist referred us to get his wisdom teeth removed (they get kickbacks for referrals to oral surgeons). His orthodontist said his wisdom teeth were fine and removal was not needed since my son was great with keeping his teeth clean. But time and time again it was mentioned.

Then same thing happened with my daughter. And again her orthodontist said it wasn't necessary (perfect wisdom teeth space runs in my family, I have my wisdom teeth as do my parents and siblings). I am not against wisdom teeth removal if it's needed, but in my kids' case it wasn't. It's just something all dentists now push. I believe procedures are advised often for things that aren't really necessary.

Don't even get me started on the cost of implants. That's a serious cash cow.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:53 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I am not against wisdom teeth removal if it's needed, but in my kids' case it wasn't. It's just something all dentists now push.
Not true. I also have all my wisdom teeth. Most of my immediate family do as well. When mine first erupted our family dentist didn't see any need to remove them and they've been peaceful residents of my mouth ever since. Once I reached independence I've been to over a dozen dentists as I've moved around a lot. Once in a while a new dentist is mildly surprised to see all 4 of them but none have ever suggested pulling them. I grind my teeth badly which does some damage. One even opted to put a crown on a damaged wisdom tooth instead of pulling it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-23-2021 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 03:58 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
There are dentists who are cheats and frauds, just like any occupation.

My last dentist was as honest as the day is long. Integrity to spare. He never pushed anything on me. He explained everything to me in clear language, offered me options, and let me choose. He was a wonderful Dentist.

Even he wasn't an angel. He suggested braces to me at 60 years old. I flat turned him down and he never brought it up again. So he did go fishing for money, but he had the integrity to let no be no, and not try to sell me.

I am old and I have had 3 great dentists, 5 really bad ones, and a dozen average ones in between. One of the bad ones would have drilled and filled almost every tooth in my head with a filling. I immediately got a 2nd opinion and found I had 2 cavities to fill.

There are cheats and frauds everywhere, even among the higher professions. Caveat Emptor always applies. "Buyer beware". You can't automatically trust anybody. Trust has to be earned.

I just moved to Tennessee and now I have to go through the difficult and agonizing process to find a new Doctor, Dentist, Eye Doctor, and Mechanic.

I love my new Barber. Salt of the earth. 1 down and 4 to go.

Don't settle for a bad Dentist. Try someone else. You can always go back to the bad guy if you have to.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:25 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Most dentists don't pay back their student loans until around 25 years after they get their Doctorate. If they're lucky, they'll have a thriving business and get it paid off earlier. Insurance pays some, but not enough to cover even the overhead of the office. X-ray machines and panoramic machines, property rental or mortgage, receptionists and hygienists are expensive.

Group dentistry has been a trend for a long time, because they can spread the cost over the group, not burdening just one dentist with all the overhead.

If a dentist is no good, he'll go out of business soon enough, or rotate through the dental mills (aka Aspen etc).

Old 06-25-2021, 01:54 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Shop around for a conservative dentist. Tip: if they have flashy websites and multiple locations run away. And just because you NEED a ton of work doesn't mean they are ripping you off. If more than one dentist tells you there's a problem there probably is whether you like it or not.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:48 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,241 times
I would guess your dentist goes to work every day for the same reason you do.
Why do you go to work each day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health