Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 01:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

I bought a new electric toothbrush on Amazon --mainly because it was pink. But when I got it, it wasn't a rotary one like all my others but instead, vibrates. Is this safe and effective? It seems neater with less toothpaste at the base, but I have a nice, new root canal and l wonder if the vibrating model is safe?

By rotary I mean the brush goes around and back in a circle. The pink one just hums and vibrates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 09:24 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I bought a new electric toothbrush on Amazon --mainly because it was pink. But when I got it, it wasn't a rotary one like all my others but instead, vibrates. Is this safe and effective? It seems neater with less toothpaste at the base, but I have a nice, new root canal and l wonder if the vibrating model is safe?

By rotary I mean the brush goes around and back in a circle. The pink one just hums and vibrates.

Is it a Sonicare toothbrush? I have one.

That's what they do, they don't rotate like the Oral B.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:35 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
I use a manual children's toothbrush (the small brush doesn't irritate the gums too much) so I don't tear up my gums with an electric one, and I floss. My dental hygienist rated my mouth cleanliness B+ so it's working. You are smart to be concerned about your root canal, pressure can affect them over time.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:32 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

If it claims to be "ultrasonic", the brush head is actually moving, its just doing so in very small increments at a very high rate of speed...(ie: vibration) compared to an electric brush that moves in a circle or back and forth at a slower speed. It isn't actually operating at ultrasonic speed, but the movement is much faster than an electric type (a type that moves the brush head for you using battery power). That being said, there may be better or worse quality ultrasonic brushes on the market. Cheaper ones may not hold up to daily long term use and end up needing to be replaced more often.

AFAIK most dentists and hygienists seem to agree that ultrasonics clean teeth better than manual brushing despite the fact that you don't need to buy your brush from them. It may be a matter of more efficiency over the same period of time. Anecdote...I went to the same dentist/hygienist for years. When I first started with the practice I was using the same classic type manual brush I'd used since I was a kid. The hygienist suggested an ultrasonic so I tried it. At my next routine cleaning she commented how clean my teeth were and how much less she had to scrape. Based on how much more quickly my cleanings finish every year since I switched, I believe it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-13-2021 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-13-2021, 01:44 PM

It is a sonicare. It's this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not cheap. Pink.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:27 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
FWIW, I bought my first Sonicare years ago and have been very pleased with it. No operational troubles. The rechargeable battery pack has lasted much longer than I thought it would. The one aspect I don't like is that the pack isn't replaceable...when it gets to the point it won't hold a charge you need to buy a whole new unit. Of course you can still brush your teeth with it despite a dead battery...it just becomes a manual brush!! What color the thing happens to be means nothing.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What color the thing happens to be means nothing.
Of course not in terms of its effectiveness. I was kind of making fun of myself for buying one because it was pink. It's a girl thing. So yes, of course, the color is irrelevant. Did it appear that I might have thought it was (relevant?)? Really??

Old 08-13-2021, 07:16 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times
I love the pink!

I'm due for a new one...pink.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:12 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
FWIW, I bought my first Sonicare years ago and have been very pleased with it. No operational troubles...
My personal experience has been that the older, more bulbous, design was indestructible.
The newer "Diamond Clean", slim design... not so much. After 5 years, it would make the vibrating noise, but the actual vibration was greatly diminished. To the point that I had to get a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health