Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 04:17 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I agree with most of what you say but if its a molar you really need a crown. Front teeth might not. I have never had any of the problems you mention with crowns, and I've had some for 30 years and still the original crown.
Agree with this. I now have 3 crowns, two of which are on wisdom teeth. They never needed to be pulled and because of my bite they are important. The third's on a molar. They've been fine for 20-30 years. The initial tooth structure damage was caused by bruxism. I've never let anything go long enough to have pain or require a root canal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 04:32 PM

6,858 posts, read 4,853,645 times
I have four crowns, ranging from about 15 to 30 years. The oldest had a root canal. I've not had any problems with them. If a bottom tooth is removed the upper one will start coming down eventually - I don't know how else to describe. It's something you should talk to your dentist about. It's worth taking good care of your teeth. Implants are not only expensive, but the people I know that got them had long waits. First they are pulled, then a bone graft (I don't know if this is necessary for everyone or just the three people I know who had implants), then a stem, and finally the tooth. There is a period of waiting for thing to heal for each step.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
I agree with most of what you say but if its a molar you really need a crown. Front teeth might not. I have never had any of the problems you mention with crowns, and I've had some for 30 years and still the original crown. They may pop off after a decade or two but can often be just glued back on (preferably by your dentist)
I agree that if it's a molar it would be great if the roots of the tooth are in sound enough condition to be able to leave it firmly seated in the socket and to put a crown on the peg or else have really good fillings done if the external tooth hasn't started to crumble. But if crowns loosen or pop off it's because the root and bone socket they're affixed to has started to crumble, and that can't be fixed with glue.

The problem I've discovered with the teeth we masticate with is that since they are the teeth that do the very hardest work of all they are usually the first teeth to loosen and wiggle around or break off in the bone socket that the roots fit into because of wear and tear pressure on the bone. So usually when that happens the entire molar has to be extracted. I've lost 5 molars because of that. The older a person gets the more likelihood there is of osteoporosis setting in and the bones of the jaw deteriorate and crumble, lose bone mass and they just won't hold molars in the sockets as well as when the person was younger and healthier.

I'm old now and have to take supplements and hormones to prevent osteoporosis from getting worse. I had 5 crowns done on front upper teeth 40 years ago and I still have 3 of the front ones remaining. The crowns and steel posts are in excellent condition, they look as good as new but they are gradually shifting out of place now because the bone sockets are wearing out and won't hold the original roots properly in place anymore. The 2 crowns I lost and the roots they were affixed to, had to be removed because the bone sockets wore out so badly that the roots twisted right around in the sockets and the two teeth started to turn outwards into horizontal teeth like tusks on a wild boar. It's the truth.

These days if I have problems with a cavity or with enamel crumbling or breaking on any tooth and if it's indicated that the root is still healthy and well seated in the socket I get my dentist to completely re-build the whole original tooth above the root. I don't want to lose any more teeth but I know I can only do that delaying tactic for just so long and eventually I'm going have to get all of my remaining teeth extracted and get full dentures.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:38 AM

39 posts, read 31,230 times
I would go with the root canal. This will likely buy you some time ( 15 years). Whether you need a crown depends on the location of the tooth and how much tooth they took out to do the root canal. The more conservative the better.

FYI (CROWNS) I have had crowns (PFM, Gold, Porcelain) that have lasted 3 to 30 years. It depends on the skill of the dentist or Prosthodontists that specializes in crowns and bridges.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:50 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,656,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover308 View Post
alright so i finally decided to see the dentist after my tooth hurting me for 2 years. Well their is good news and band news. The good news is the tooth is not yet infected but the bad news is it has a large cavity nearing the nerve. Because the cavity is near the nerve i have 2 choices root canal or extraction. Of course the obvious option would be root canal but i only had one root canal in my life that failed and got infected and i really don't want to go thru that again. My next option is extraction which is also the cheapest option only $250 vs $2000 for the root canal. Their is also pain in the gum near the tooth so i really don't know whether it is worth going for a root canal that has a chance of failing. What do you think i should do?

My one and only root canal (and crown) failed...they had to take it out. Never got an implant since is a lower left back molar. '

I'd go for the root canal only if a front tooth...would just pull it if a back one not very visible.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:45 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
My one and only root canal (and crown) failed...they had to take it out. Never got an implant since is a lower left back molar. '

I'd go for the root canal only if a front tooth...would just pull it if a back one not very visible.

But rather important for chewing...I have one missing upper molar and I pretty much cant chew anything chewy on that side

Old 06-22-2022, 10:27 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times
Just got a root canal yesterday. Not my first one but I want to keep my teeth if possible. Also got a few implants done in the past for teeth that could not be saved. My mother had all her teeth pulled at 49, big mistake. I am 75 and would rather get the work done. It was a breeze with Halcion, nicely sedated but aware, that's what I wanted, am not overly afraid of dental work but wanted to be relaxed...one .25 pill an hour before the appointment.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:30 AM

39 posts, read 31,230 times
I would recommend the root canal. There was a study done that compares root canal vs implant. Saving a tooth will cost less in the long run and you will have original teeth. Implants last from three to ten years. You may be kicking the can down the road but you give yourself more options. Good Luck.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:17 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKANEHI View Post
Implants last from three to ten years. .

Source please? This is incorrect.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Source please? This is incorrect.
That statement (lasting 3-10 years) applies to root canals, not implants.

I have had 3 implants and 4 root canals. My first implant was done in 2002, and I have had no problems with it in those 20 years. Once done successfully, they will last a lifetime. On the other hand, root canals do not. I have an appointment on Monday to start another implant, to replace a root canal done 7 years ago.

It would be nice if the OP would come back and tell us what they decided to do and how it went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health