Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 11:33 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Interesting. I'll look into it. I've been able to maintain things, but rarely get any improvement like that. Yeah being an incisor I am none too happy about it. But I put the broken tooth under my dissecting scope and could see the nerve hanging out of it so I probably won't have any pain unless it abscesses. The tooth was apparently dead. I have a consult for extraction and implant in late October, which is the soonest I could get, and am on a cancellation list. But I don't think implants will be an option. I lost the same incisor on the other side 5 years ago due to bone loss and they didn't think it was a good candidate for an implant because of bone loss. This might be the same story, although the other side was worse. I will probably face the same bad choices as before, ruin the (somewhat) good adjacent teeth for a bridge or get a flipper that's intolerable. I wore a flipper for a couple years on the other side and then got a bridge done in Mexico, which is better than nothing but not top quality either.
I'm shocked but the surgeon said that he could do an implant, with a bone graft. Based on my consultation for the other lateral incisor only 5 years ago I really thought that would be impossible. He said the technology has improved and implants are shorter.

I'm a naturally mistrustful person, so my ears pricked up with both interest and suspicion. I asked him to look at the other side again where I now have a bridge and now he says he could now do an implant there too, where just 5 years ago he said he couldn't.

Anyway I have no solid reason to mistrust him, he works at the most reputable place in town. Unfortunately I can't afford to have him do the work, because its also the most expensive. I went there primarily for his opinion because I dont trust some of the other ones in town. But I'm so surprised by it I will probably have to get a 2nd opinion somewhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 08:28 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
I had a tooth pulled and they did a bone graft, which worked, but it is not quite thick enough, so they want to do sinus lift when they put the implant in. It is lacking about a millimeter. It is scheduled. I was surprised it lacked the thickness needed because he kept saying how well the bone graft worked.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:53 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Quote:
I'm shocked but the surgeon said that he could do an implant, with a bone graft.
That seems to be their standard answer these days. I had/have a very similar situation, and said no thanks. I don't see how they can guarantee that a large graft will take, or remain stable in the long term.

Quote:
Based on my consultation for the other lateral incisor only 5 years ago I really thought that would be impossible. He said the technology has improved and implants are shorter
My knowledge/experience in mechanical engineering makes me feel like this sort of implant is very much akin to installing a fence post. So, not much "technology" to improve upon. Sure, pre- and post-surgery methods can get better, as can the materials used, but I just don't see any way that even the surgeon's skill can improve that much, that the stated outcome can be achieved.

Quote:
I'm a naturally mistrustful person, so my ears pricked up with both interest and suspicion. I asked him to look at the other side again where I now have a bridge and now he says he could now do an implant there too, where just 5 years ago he said he couldn't.

Anyway I have no solid reason to mistrust him, he works at the most reputable place in town. Unfortunately I can't afford to have him do the work, because its also the most expensive. I went there primarily for his opinion because I dont trust some of the other ones in town. But I'm so surprised by it I will probably have to get a 2nd opinion somewhere...
A couple of things: dental practices have been hit hard by covid, so I too am skeptical when they eagerly push expensive elective surgeries in the current climate. Also, I've observed how there's quite a bit of hubris in the dental profession. They like to brag to their peers, "oh, I've got the latest CEREC machine"... "yeah, I've done 200 implants this year"... and at the end of the day, they bear no consequences if something goes wrong - we, the patients, do.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:59 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
That seems to be their standard answer these days. I had/have a very similar situation, and said no thanks. I don't see how they can guarantee that a large graft will take, or remain stable in the long term.

My knowledge/experience in mechanical engineering makes me feel like this sort of implant is very much akin to installing a fence post. So, not much "technology" to improve upon. Sure, pre- and post-surgery methods can get better, as can the materials used, but I just don't see any way that even the surgeon's skill can improve that much, that the stated outcome can be achieved.

A couple of things: dental practices have been hit hard by covid, so I too am skeptical when they eagerly push expensive elective surgeries in the current climate. Also, I've observed how there's quite a bit of hubris in the dental profession. They like to brag to their peers, "oh, I've got the latest CEREC machine"... "yeah, I've done 200 implants this year"... and at the end of the day, they bear no consequences if something goes wrong - we, the patients, do.

"Mechanical engineering" over simplifies the issue and ignores the biology behind bone grafting which is very complex. And techniques evolve with ongoing research. For example, google Straumann bone ring which is a newer method and very technique sensitive.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:45 PM

39 posts, read 31,263 times
The dentist seem to be in a surge for implants. They make $4000 to $7000 on something that takes about an hour to do. Then you have to pay for a crown $1000+.
I see the practivce of dentistry to see how much money they can make, spend as little time with patient rather than what is best for the patient.
I now have two dental offices (both big corporate places) now so I easily get a second opinion on anything I need.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKANEHI View Post
The dentist seem to be in a surge for implants. They make $4000 to $7000 on something that takes about an hour to do. Then you have to pay for a crown $1000+.
I see the practivce of dentistry to see how much money they can make, spend as little time with patient rather than what is best for the patient.
I now have two dental offices (both big corporate places) now so I easily get a second opinion on anything I need.

Hilarious to think "corporate places" don't want your money.

I charge about $2500 for an implant. How much of that do you think I take home?

Old 12-26-2021, 04:08 PM

39 posts, read 31,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post

Agree with your point of "they bear no consequences if something goes wrong - we, the patients, do". Had a crown done in 2020 and has an open margin. They don't want to redo. They said once cemented they are not responsible. I now need to go to another dentist to have it redone with a tight margin. My cost $1000.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
There are no guarantees with an implant, the patient is required to sign a release before they start the work. I have had 4 of them with bone grafts, at about $4,000 each (paid about half after insurance) with no problems, but in every case I had to sign the papers.

If you read the form it definitely appears to be a procedure with some risks associated with it. Considering that, and the cost, it requires some thought before deciding to do it.

https://ramseydentists.com/wp-conten...ent%20Form.pdf

Old 12-27-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are no guarantees with an implant, the patient is required to sign a release before they start the work. I have had 4 of them with bone grafts, at about $4,000 each (paid about half after insurance) with no problems, but in every case I had to sign the papers.

If you read the form it definitely appears to be a procedure with some risks associated with it. Considering that, and the cost, it requires some thought before deciding to do it.

https://ramseydentists.com/wp-conten...ent%20Form.pdf

There is no guarantee for ANY medical intervention. Nothing is 100% successful. Implants are no different.

Old 01-01-2022, 05:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
I had an implant put in this week and he lifted the sinus and put bone graft material between the sinus membrane and the bone on the topside. Kind of created an arch for more bone and room for the implant. The implant extends into the new space. It only took about 45 minutes and went really smooth. From what I gathered, the tools for performing this type of implant really improved about 5 or 6 years ago, making them more successful. The bone graft material pushes the membrane up. So far so good. I have had no side effects from the procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health