Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 04:24 PM

39 posts, read 31,222 times

Advertisements

I think the idea of a cleaning every six months is very reasonable. I got new insurance last year after finding my insurance company had a 180 day wait between cleanings. If you had it done at 159 days they didn't pay. My new insurance is twice a year for cleanings and has worked out very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 04:33 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
If you do a Google search on this topic you will find that lots of web sites say "you must get teeth cleaned every 6 months" and then you dig a little deeper and see that all of those web sites have some sort of connection with dental practices.

Cleaning here costs around $160 and with x-rays around $240. So for two people twice a year with one x-ray visit each, that is $800 a year.

Seems like once a year might be more reasonable. Assuming you are paying out of pocket, what is your experience?
They don't usually take annual x-rays. Every other year is enough. With twice yearly cleanings, they can keep a better eye on the condition of your teeth, if they're only doing x-rays every two years. Also, insurance will usually pay for fluoride treatments twice yearly, to protect your teeth, which is worth it. And lastly, people who don't floss daily tend to build up plaque, so that trice yearly cleanings are necessary.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Without dental insurance, that's a financial priorities matter. I actually get mine cleaned every 3 months, but at 69 with a lot of dental issues and good dental insurance it costs me nothing. I do have to pay 50% for the resulting work, if needed, such as replacing old crowns, root canals and implants. My last cleaning went well, no need for anything else to be done.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:53 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Without dental insurance, that's a financial priorities matter. I actually get mine cleaned every 3 months, but at 69 with a lot of dental issues and good dental insurance it costs me nothing. I do have to pay 50% for the resulting work, if needed, such as replacing old crowns, root canals and implants. My last cleaning went well, no need for anything else to be done.
Can I ask what company you have dental insurance through?

Old 12-28-2021, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Can I ask what company you have dental insurance through?
Delta Dental through my employer, they take out $26/check from my pay toward the premium. My wife also has it through her employer, I am on hers, and she is on mine so we get double benefit.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:44 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Delta Dental through my employer, they take out $26/check from my pay toward the premium. My wife also has it through her employer, I am on hers, and she is on mine so we get double benefit.
Thanks for the info! I am retired so I will have to look into private plans.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:05 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
Real life example: when I was younger, had no dental insurance and was generally pretty poor, I went once a year for probably 15 years. I don’t think I had a cavity the entire time, but God has blessed me with excellent teeth.

I’m older now, more money and dental coverage, go twice a year. Still no cavities.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:37 AM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
If your neighbor gets a flat tire, does that mean you need to change all four of yours? Of course not. Every situation is different.

Dental disease (cavities and gum disease) are caused by basically two things - bacteria and the way your body reacts to it. The bacteria is the same type for everyone. The variation comes from the way you were built. This is why some people get cavities like no other while others eat candy all day and no problem whatsoever. Same for the gums.

The "cleanings every 6 months" is really something that the insurance companies cooked up. The reality is that some people need professional cleanings every 2 weeks, while others every few years. For gum disease, research shows that 90 days (4x/yr) is a good schedule because that's how long it takes the bacteria to return to their pre-trestment levels on average.

The research is clear, however, that people who see the dentist on a regular basis spend less money over the course of their life on dental care. This has been shown in multiple long-term studies in multiple journals over the years.

In my office, we always recommend treatment and a recall schedule based on the patient's specific conditions and risks, not what their insurance covers. Some people are on board with it, others are not. Makes no difference to me. I'll usually give them a couple of options based on finances. I tell them what I would do if it were my mouth, but whatever they want to do for themselves (even if it's nothing) is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health