Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 09:05 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Dentist here. First thing I ask every patient who is considering this procedure:

"If something goes wrong, can you afford another one?"

Don't get me wrong, this can be a great treatment. However, I have seen/worked on many cases where things were great for a few years, then something broke or failed and the patient couldn't afford to get it fixed or re-done, and ended up in a plain old denture.
I still have not gotten any full mouth implants. I truly appreciate everyone's comments. I still have 18 front to side, upper & lower teeth that are very snuggly in place, plus one upper molar and one lower molar on opposite sides of my mouth still tightly in place. I've been working on whitening on what I have for the present. I'm not one who just does things without knowing all about the pros & cons and then watching & waiting...a long time. My next move will be to see a Prosthadontist to see what he/she says.
I know all the 'extra' issues & 2 extra surgeries I had after gastric bypass and don't want to be doing similar with a smile. I do have severe Osteoporosis so may need the zygomatic implants they often do for that. I also fall a lot due to only one sighted eye, and dont want to finally get a new smile and fall smashing my face on the ground. There is no rush to do it, thankfully. Could I afford replacement...yes. But I'd rather buy a retirement home. I'm hoping that whitening continues to improve my smile and I will live with what I have and maybe cap my one front tooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 04:27 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I still have not gotten any full mouth implants. I truly appreciate everyone's comments. I still have 18 front to side, upper & lower teeth that are very snuggly in place, plus one upper molar and one lower molar on opposite sides of my mouth still tightly in place. I've been working on whitening on what I have for the present. I'm not one who just does things without knowing all about the pros & cons and then watching & waiting...a long time. My next move will be to see a Prosthadontist to see what he/she says.
I know all the 'extra' issues & 2 extra surgeries I had after gastric bypass and don't want to be doing similar with a smile. I do have severe Osteoporosis so may need the zygomatic implants they often do for that. I also fall a lot due to only one sighted eye, and dont want to finally get a new smile and fall smashing my face on the ground. There is no rush to do it, thankfully. Could I afford replacement...yes. But I'd rather buy a retirement home. I'm hoping that whitening continues to improve my smile and I will live with what I have and maybe cap my one front tooth.
UPDATE: Looks like I will be checking out the all-on-4 implants. I did not even know I have receeding gums and 2 of my uppers in front evidently have cavities that I cannot see but are on the back of the teeth. She did tell me the other teeth are well seated but because of my gums, they may not be 2, 5, 10 yrs from now. I have no gum bleeding nor periodontal issues.
So, I'm gonna take a ride to Virginia and see what the scans etc show and go from there.
I truly thank ALL of you for your comments; we all learn together.

Old 05-06-2023, 12:15 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
UPDATE: Looks like I will be checking out the all-on-4 implants. I did not even know I have receeding gums and 2 of my uppers in front evidently have cavities that I cannot see but are on the back of the teeth. She did tell me the other teeth are well seated but because of my gums, they may not be 2, 5, 10 yrs from now. I have no gum bleeding nor periodontal issues.
So, I'm gonna take a ride to Virginia and see what the scans etc show and go from there.
I truly thank ALL of you for your comments; we all learn together.

Gums don't keep your teeth in, bone does, and cavities on the back of your teeth hardly matter. They can be filled. If you don't have periodontal disease I find it hard to believe you need implants/dentures.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Gums don't keep your teeth in, bone does, and cavities on the back of your teeth hardly matter. They can be filled. If you don't have periodontal disease I find it hard to believe you need implants/dentures.
I agree with that 100% And while these all on 4 dentures are very helpful for people who can't use removable dentures they are NOT the same as chewing with your own teeth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health