Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 02:20 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,099 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I will ask my dentist about it next cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 05:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Fluoride also occurs naturally in pretty much all ground and surface water but how much varies by the source. Fluorine is one of the earth's most common elements. So, even if your municipal source doesn't add any, you may still be getting some from water. Then of course there's genetic variation in teeth to consider. Some people won the lottery in terms of decay resistance. Others lost.
Good point! I know my local water company send out a water analysis report showing items such as inorganic chemicals including fluoride. I looked at one report that described the source of fluoride as: "Natural deposits; Water Treatment addition," so it looks like they add fluoride to bring it up to a minimum level.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:20 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Good point! I know my local water company send out a water analysis report showing items such as inorganic chemicals including fluoride. I looked at one report that described the source of fluoride as: "Natural deposits; Water Treatment addition," so it looks like they add fluoride to bring it up to a minimum level.
Some areas add fluoride if the levels are below a certain minimum. Some areas do not. There is also the matter of too much fluoride that occurs naturally in some areas - because there is also a max permitted by law: 4.0 mg/L There is a secondary max of 4.0 mg/L. You can check all this out yourself in a Q&A PDF provided by the EPA.

If samples show a level higher than that, the water MUST be treated to reduce the level.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Some areas add fluoride if the levels are below a certain minimum. Some areas do not. There is also the matter of too much fluoride that occurs naturally in some areas - because there is also a max permitted by law: 4.0 mg/L There is a secondary max of 4.0 mg/L. You can check all this out yourself in a Q&A PDF provided by the EPA.

If samples show a level higher than that, the water MUST be treated to reduce the level.
Yes, that's in line with the report I was looking at. It had two sources of water. The one had natural fluoride, the other had none. They raised both to 4.0 mg/L.

What is the difference between the max permitted by law and the secondary max?

I wonder with fluoride toothpaste and rinses if added fluoride to water makes sense anymore?

Old 03-08-2022, 08:29 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Yes, that's in line with the report I was looking at. It had two sources of water. The one had natural fluoride, the other had none. They raised both to 4.0 mg/L.

What is the difference between the max permitted by law and the secondary max?

I wonder with fluoride toothpaste and rinses if added fluoride to water makes sense anymore?
The first max of 2.0 is the maximum "recommended" for dental health in children.

The second max of 4.0 is the maximum "allowed" for human safety.

So any municipality that has levels below 2.0 - know what the guideline will be if they want to give kids the best chances. And they also know that they need to keep those levels under 4.0.

It's a pretty miniscule amount of flourine. Between 2-4 mg/L - with 2 mg being 0.00040576 US tsp. So that's 4/10,000 of a teaspoon. A few grains, if that. Per litre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health