Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2022, 10:54 AM

2,323 posts, read 2,178,003 times

Advertisements

For claim details, there are two parts: Patient's responsibility and Benefit Paid.

For the dental clinic I went to, I made the payment immediately after the service, and the claim was processed a few days later. Now my payment is more than the amount I should be responsible on the claim form.

It is not big difference, around $30 only, should I contact dental clinic and ask my over-paid money back? I have not seen a dentist for years, and I am very happy with the service and professionalism. I guess I will visit the dental clinic for many years ahead. It is two different things, but I don't want to give me "bad" impression when I ask money back, since I will visit the dental clinic again in the future.

I am 100% sure I over paid. It has been 2-3 weeks since claim form was processed, and I can wait longer and see if dental clinic will refund the over payment amount. If they don't issue refund check, should I ask and request for refund?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 12:48 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
Yes, contact the dental clinic. This happens fairly frequently. They may send you a check, or they may suggest holding the funds and giving you a credit for later appointments.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Yes, contact the dental clinic. This happens fairly frequently. They may send you a check, or they may suggest holding the funds and giving you a credit for later appointments.
If I don't receive refund check, I will talk to them next time when visiting the clinic, but next appointment is a few months from now. Next appointment is routine check, I don't expect any dental work, I am expecting that next appointment will be 100% covered by my dental insurance plan. So I still have credit on my account after next appointment.

Hope they will send me a refund check.

Old 07-24-2022, 01:26 PM

23,298 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
This has happened to me a couple of times. At the time of service, the practice estimates what your insurance will pay, but once the company cranks the numbers, it may end up being slightly different.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This has happened to me a couple of times. At the time of service, the practice estimates what your insurance will pay, but once the company cranks the numbers, it may end up being slightly different.
So did your dental clinic issue refund check to you by itself?

Old 07-24-2022, 02:23 PM

3,300 posts, read 3,026,852 times
This happens to me all the time. The dental office just sends me a check for the difference, without my having to request it.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:26 PM

23,298 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
So did your dental clinic issue refund check to you by itself?
No. They credited the small amount toward another appointment that had already been scheduled.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:59 AM

39 posts, read 31,289 times
I had this last year after going and getting some periodontal done. It seemed odd that my insurance had paid the amount agreed and the dentist still charge beyond that. I was $180 in total over the agreed amount. Long story short about a month after the treatment and insurance had paid I got a check for $180 from the periodontist. Hope it works out for you.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:07 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
If you actually read the paperwork given, it says that the amount you pay is an ESTIMATE and subject to processing of the claim.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:09 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKANEHI View Post
I had this last year after going and getting some periodontal done. It seemed odd that my insurance had paid the amount agreed and the dentist still charge beyond that. I was $180 in total over the agreed amount. Long story short about a month after the treatment and insurance had paid I got a check for $180 from the periodontist. Hope it works out for you.

The dentist didn't "Charge" above the amount paid by the insurance. The dentist simply submitted their regular fee since they don't know exactly how much the insurance will pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health