Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 05:11 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
And except for that back one that went bad long ago my teeth are fine. I got diabetes 5 years ago no more candy. I think its diet more then anything else that wrecks teeth. I never bought soda to drink at home ever. Icecream before diabetes but I never bought soda.

Anyway, toothpaste ingredients.

Propylene glycol, sodium bicarbonate, sodium pyrophosphate, anhydrous dicalcium phosphate and dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate are all listed.

Are you sure you want to put this stuff in your mouth?

sorbitol, pentatol and glycerol... Strontium chloride and potassium nitrate.. aspartame and ammoniated iacylglycerol..... C7H5NO3S sodium saccharin...

Dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate. Formula: C20H37NaO7S This is a detergent-type ingredient that causes toothpaste to foam up.

amorphous silicon dioxide !

I ingest none of this stuff and again my teeth are fine.
While toothpaste manufacturers claim that you need toothpaste to brush your teeth, it's not true.
Toothpaste is not necessary to make your teeth clean or healthy. Studies have shown that brushing without toothpaste is just as effective in removing plaque and in some cases it's more effective.
The real act of cleaning your teeth is achieved with the toothbrush, not the toothpaste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 05:38 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
While toothpaste manufacturers claim that you need toothpaste to brush your teeth, it's not true.
Toothpaste is not necessary to make your teeth clean or healthy. Studies have shown that brushing without toothpaste is just as effective in removing plaque and in some cases it's more effective.
The real act of cleaning your teeth is achieved with the toothbrush, not the toothpaste.
Ive read this too.. I think we like toothpaste for the fresh taste... when my mum was young she couldnt afford toothpast and uses soot or baking soda... not so sure about the soot though... Im now using an electric toothbrush after years with an ordinary one.. I feel it gets the back teeth cleaned much better but still miss my old way of brushing..

Old 01-20-2023, 03:14 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive read this too.. I think we like toothpaste for the fresh taste... when my mum was young she couldnt afford toothpast and uses soot or baking soda... not so sure about the soot though... Im now using an electric toothbrush after years with an ordinary one.. I feel it gets the back teeth cleaned much better but still miss my old way of brushing..
I'm almost certain your mom used charcoal, not soot to brush her teeth!!!! They're very different. "Soot" is a vague term and could be made up of anything...like incomplete combustion deposits from a furnace that burns fossil fuels. BLECH!

Old 01-20-2023, 08:48 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My old dentist told me that a person could use granulated sugar to brush their teeth, and as long as they rinsed thoroughly after, that'd do the trick. Baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide to form a paste with a tiny bit of peppermint flavoring is just as effective. The only benefit to toothpaste that the alternatives lack, is the addition of fluoride.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:17 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Yeah. I brush my teeth with Himalaya Botanique toothpaste that is all natural, and once a week with a mix of baking soda and coarse sea salt (3:1)
It keeps my teeth healthy and naturally white.
I rotate different flavors to get different natural ingredients for my mouth and gum care. I avoid fluoride, SLS etc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009H...pa_mw_detail_0

Old 01-20-2023, 11:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I use Crest. It's fine.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:34 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Well, you'll save years of dental bills but that first one is gonna be a whopper.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:34 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
I spent most of my life in a state/municipality that controlled the fluoridation of their drinking water. I had 3 cavities, during the entire time, and never had to have a fluoride treatment once my adult teeth had grown in.

Fast forward to age 60, having moved to Florida, and all of a sudden I have two cavities in a single year. They don't fluoridate the water here, too many science deniers. There are a LOT of dentists though. They do a brisk business, drill-and-fill is a huge money-maker.

It's kinda funny that the residents complain so much about how the dentists are always finding cavities. But not once do they ever consider that MAYBE they should've encouraged the municipal governments to fluoridate the drinking water.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:38 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
If I don't brush my teeth at least like 2 or 3 times a day I get such a gross feeling in my mouth. Bad taste, dry mouth. Brushing helps with that. My husband didn't like the taste of toothpaste; it made him nauseous, he said. I still told him he had to brush his teeth; it was gross when he didn't.

To each their own. I guess as long as it doesn't affect other people much (maybe just be a bit more thoughtful if you run into to close conversations, if that occurs for you; you never know if some people are hermits and never run into that stuff); if it works for you it works.

Oh and I never had a single cavity (age 42). I never really drank much soda is what I attribute it to (and except for a few phases here and there, and definitely a long phase when I was growing up, not all that much sugary candy either). Maybe a bit more when I was growing up perhaps (the soda that is). But hardly ever when an adult. Once in a while I'll have a birch beer or cream soda.

I'm thinking also how I typically will brush my teeth after I eat also helped with the avoidance of cavities. It's not for an effort at good oral hygiene; the taste and feel after I eat is just not that great which brushing takes care of.

I don't floss either which probably grosses people out as much (I would imagine, but maybe there's a decent percentage of people who don't ever brush their teeth; never looked into it) as the OP who said he never brushes his teeth in years. [shrugs]. It just doesn't seem to have that much of an effect. My dentist appreciated my honesty (says he can tell when people say they do but they don't). Because of the great shape my teeth are in though, he said "Keep doing what you're doing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Even if you don't eat a lot of sugar...stuff builds up unless you scrape it off. Don't know about anyone else here but personally I hate that slimy feeling by the end of the day or first thing in the morning...ICK!
That's exactly what I'm talking about! Maybe I'm more sensitive to it b/c I get a similar feeling after I eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
Its really not.

"In the breakdown process the bacteria release sulphur compounds that cause the breath to smell bad."

I don't eat nasty food that gets all stuck in my teeth. No soda.

Feb 2, 2022 — According to research conducted by OnePoll, 22 percent of respondents go at least three days without brushing their teeth.

I still think soda is what wrecks teeth. Look at the ingredients.

What ingredient is in Pepsi but not Coke?
Despite the recipes being very similar today, with both containing carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid and caffeine, there's one ingredient Pepsi has over Coca-Cola: citric acid. This is the one ingredient that gives Pepsi its distinctive citrus taste.

If I wanted to design a way to destroy teeth I would get people to drink acidic sugar water all day. After the phosphoric acid in soda has started the process of softening your teeth, your teeth are bathed with sugar, the exact food your oral bacteria needs to create cavities AND BAD BREATH. Even if you are the best tooth brusher and flosser in the world, if you drink soda, you may still get decay.
Yep. I figured that had to be a key reason why I've never had a cavity. I can't recall if my dentist asked me if I drank soda; he may have which is why I got clued into it.

I'm confidant (though never looked into it) that you and I are in a decided minority who do not drink soda on pretty much a regular basis.

I don't eat that great though--I'm sure much worse than you do. Hey, like I said if it works for you it works. Not flossing works for me so I'm sticking with it (I'll do an once in a blue moon floss like if there's something stuck in my teeth of course); but never have done it regularly (for any length of time; I may have endeavored to try to be better at proper dental hygiene here and there but it surely didn't last for more than a week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I had an employee that hadn't been to the dentist in 20+ years. He claimed he brushed his teeth/flossed 2X a day. His teeth were jacked up but he was meticulous about his appearance in general.
I was in that position--had never been to a dentist in around 20 years until I got my first "real" job. I figured I was going to have a ton of problems with my teeth (because I never flossed). Nothing at all. The dentist even complimented me on my teeth indirectly by saying to keep doing what I was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not about sweets. It's about anything acidic. Acidic food deteriorate your teeth and causes cavities. So:

Fruit
Dairy (lactose is a sugar)
Salad dressing (vinegar)
Tomatoes and tomato products

onions

will wreck your teeth as much as sugar or more. You should brush after you eat anything acidic, or at least--swish your mouth with water. You don't need to brush with toothpaste (you can brush with water), but the fluoride in toothpaste helps protect your teeth.
Had no idea--that also may have contributed to why I never got a cavity. Hate fruit. Not too big on dairy (especially milk--drink almond milk now). Enjoy vingar-based salad dressing but don't overdo it; for the longest time I hated tomatoes, but not since the last like 8 years though. Love onions however.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 01-30-2023 at 03:08 AM..

Old 01-30-2023, 08:10 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Haven't read the whole thread but keeping your teeth healthy is only part of the picture. The gums, the foundation your teeth are rooted in, also need care and inspection. Dentists also look for the beginnings of oral cancer.

I've known of people who lose their perfect teeth because of bone loss and gum disease. A good dental check-up now and then can catch and treat this before it's progressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health