Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 12:09 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I don't floss either which probably grosses people out as much (I would imagine, but maybe there's a decent percentage of people who don't ever brush their teeth; never looked into it) as the OP who said he never brushes his teeth in years. [shrugs]. It just doesn't seem to have that much of an effect. My dentist appreciated my honesty (says he can tell when people say they do but they don't). Because of the great shape my teeth are in though, he said "Keep doing what you're doing."
If I don't floss regularly I get the same kind of icky feeling in my mouth as if I don't brush. When I do floss after I've slacked for a bit, I notice the gunk on the floss smells bad--knowing that I'm carrying that grossness around in my mouth is a kick in the pants to keep flossing.

As to the OP, I read a round table of advice columnists a while back, and all of them commiserated on the number of women, especially, who write in asking how to get their husbands/partners to brush their teeth and perform other hygiene tasks that you'd think would be automatic. The husbands insist they don't need to, but they're generally wrong about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 01:46 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Flossing still seems to me to be such a primitive method for disruption of the plaque biofilm.
In this day & age, there ought to be a better way IMHO.
I use a water flosser, and it makes a royal mess.
I have to wonder if the dental profession is keeping this going, to preserve their income streams.
For example, why aren't there more rinses with surfactants in them ?
In the U.K. Listerine sells a formulation called Advanced Defence Gum Treatment which has one (ethyl lauroyl arginate) in it, but it's not sold in the US.
Similarly, GUM brand had a formulation called PerioShield, which had delmopinol in it - but it was recalled under dubious pretense.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:20 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I have to wonder if the dental profession is keeping this going, to preserve their income streams.
If the dental profession's ulterior motive really was to preserve their income stream, it would make the most sense to discredit flossing in general, not promote products that help their patients make a semi-effective job of it!

Old 01-30-2023, 04:04 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If the dental profession's ulterior motive really was to preserve their income stream, it would make the most sense to discredit flossing in general, not promote products that help their patients make a semi-effective job of it!
In sales, that's called a loss leader.
Or, in this case, offer an option that is so unpalatable, that the consumer won't want to use it.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:47 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Flossing still seems to me to be such a primitive method for disruption of the plaque biofilm.
In this day & age, there ought to be a better way IMHO.
I use a water flosser, and it makes a royal mess.
For example, why aren't there more rinses with surfactants in them ?
In the U.K. Listerine sells a formulation called Advanced Defence Gum Treatment which has one (ethyl lauroyl arginate) in it, but it's not sold in the US.
Similarly, GUM brand had a formulation called PerioShield, which had delmopinol in it - but it was recalled under dubious pretense.
Are you saying that you think this method is superior to water flossing? I LOVE my water flosser. The way I use it doesn't create a mess. I carry floss with me away from home, but at home the water flosser does the job better and faster than traditional flossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health