Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:22 AM

175 posts, read 846,702 times

Advertisements

I have a problem that is minor compared to most, but still an annoyance to me. Most of the time my tongue is coated, usually a white coating. I have been to the Dr/s and they tell me it is not yeast but just things I eat that is causing it and it should go away. But it doesn't. I have tried to get rid of it by using mouthwash but it does not do anything. I am at a loss as to how to get rid of it. I am somewhat embarrassed from it and would like to get my tongue back to the normal.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
I use a metal tongue scraper (horseshoe shaped) every morning. Kind of hard to find and the plastic ones aren't very good. I get mine at Wholefoods.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:38 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
I've had the same problem since I was a kid. I'm now 63.
It just seems to be normal for some people.
I don't worry about it anymore.
My doc says it is just something I shouldn't worry about if there is no discomfort or a bad lingering taste in my mouth.
I brush, I use mouthwash. It's just the way I am and the doc isn't concerned. He says a lot of people are like that.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 AM

175 posts, read 846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I've had the same problem since I was a kid. I'm now 63.
It just seems to be normal for some people.
I don't worry about it anymore.
My doc says it is just something I shouldn't worry about if there is no discomfort or a bad lingering taste in my mouth.
I brush, I use mouthwash. It's just the way I am and the doc isn't concerned. He says a lot of people are like that.
I have used the scrapers and they don't seem to work. I am self-conscious of this when i am talking to others. There may be no answer, but I thought someone might have a remedy.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 AM

have you tried the metal scrapers? It's really disgusting what I get on my scraper every morning. Much rather have it down the drain than on my tongue. If I don't scrape my mouth doesn't taste too good.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have a problem that is minor compared to most, but still an annoyance to me. Most of the time my tongue is coated, usually a white coating. I have been to the Dr/s and they tell me it is not yeast but just things I eat that is causing it and it should go away. But it doesn't. I have tried to get rid of it by using mouthwash but it does not do anything. I am at a loss as to how to get rid of it. I am somewhat embarrassed from it and would like to get my tongue back to the normal.

Any ideas?
How do the doctors know that it's not yeast? And what do they mean "by the things I eat"? So, they are telling you that it's not yeast, but not giving you specific diet recommendations and what you should avoid eating and just sending you on your way?
Eliminate sugar, starch, processed foods and you may see improvement.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
How do the doctors know that it's not yeast? And what do they mean "by the things I eat"? So, they are telling you that it's not yeast, but not giving you specific diet recommendations and what you should avoid eating and just sending you on your way?
Eliminate sugar, starch, processed foods and you may see improvement.
I was sitting on my hands waiting for someone else to bring this up.

Most people remain undiagnosed with candidiasis because a lot of mainstream doctors are unaware of the condition. She gave you good advice. If you drink beer - cut that out too, or switch to a yeast-free beer. Perhaps see a NP doctor, but there's a lot of info on the net regarding this and the special elimination diet you'll need to follow. I've done it - it's not easy, but so well worth it. Good luck to you!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I brush my tongue when I'm finished brushing my teeth. It seems to help.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I brush my tongue when I'm finished brushing my teeth. It seems to help.
I used to do that until I discovered tongue scrapers. Works much much better and no gagging.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:55 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Take a daily dose of a good quality probiotic. I use Ultimate Flora Senior Formula made by Renew Life, purchased from the health food store, and keep it in the refrigerator.

Their web site is at Herbal Cleansing, Probiotics, Digestive Enzymes, Fiber, Fish Oil Supplements | ReNew Life ~ perhaps you could learn more information about the benefits of consuming probiotics there, or just google probiotics !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health