Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times

Advertisements

I am going in for a root canal on Thursday and I have the option of using Nitrous Oxide. Has anyone ever used this? Any ill effects? Should I eat something before hand?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
You can do a google search and find out a lot. However, this link should answer your questions.

Inhalation Sedation - Laughing Gas - Relative Analgesia

It seems to indicate that you don't want it on an empty stomach. Maybe your should check with your dentist to see what he prefers.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:34 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,215 times
Nitrous has a quick onset and offset, so there should not be lasting effects. As far as side-effects, it's one of the safest medications you can have and is the first-line choice (after local anesthesia) for anti-anxiety/analgesia. Whether to use it or not is entirely up to you. If you feel like you'd benefit from it, then go for it. If you're comfortable enough without it, then I'd skip it and save the $$.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
I've had it when I was younger. It was greaaaaaat.
Don't ever remember any ill effects at all, just remember being very relaxed, and a little spacy.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
I became extremely ill at the dentist once under this gas. All of a sudden I felt the sweat trickle down my face and then felt like I was falling down a deep, deep canyon. When I awoke...they were giving me smelling salts....I remember sliding along the walls of the buildings to hold me up on my way back to work....I still can't believe they let me leave the office like that. When I got to my job, I passed out again.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am going in for a root canal on Thursday and I have the option of using Nitrous Oxide. Has anyone ever used this? Any ill effects? Should I eat something before hand?

Thanks
Yes, many times. I recommend it if you are prone to dental anxiety. Either that or a valium.

Bring some music too. It will help. Oh, and I'd skip the food, as I'd want maximum anesthesia, for the money. It ain't cheap and insurance doesn't cover it.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM

15 posts, read 55,582 times
I use it every time. I have never had a bad effect. I am 50yrs old, so it has been many times. You will be in good hands with people who administer it every day.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I became extremely ill at the dentist once under this gas. All of a sudden I felt the sweat trickle down my face and then felt like I was falling down a deep, deep canyon. When I awoke...they were giving me smelling salts....I remember sliding along the walls of the buildings to hold me up on my way back to work....I still can't believe they let me leave the office like that. When I got to my job, I passed out again.
Your dentist used to much then. It should NEVER have that effect on anyone.

I use it whenever I get a root canal Won't go to a dentist that doesn't use it. My youngest daughter has had to have two fillings done and she was just fine with it. The dentist has to make sure the gauges are set correctly and that they use the right amount. It should be just enough to make you "not care" but your still coherent, can converse, aware of what is going on, etc.

It is a very safe gas as long as it is used PROPERLY! I deal in it so I'm very familiar with it. Now, if I could just bring a bottle of it home

Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 AM

648 posts, read 1,641,539 times
I had 5 teeth pulled about 4 years ago and they used that stuff. I had no side effects. I just felt a little silly!!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
Do it. I do if its available. It sure takes the edge off the procedures. I am alot calmer and it dosn't seem near so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health