Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:32 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

I have an impacted wisdom tooth which has not erupted (below the gumline). It is slightly tipped but I have not had a single problem with pain or anything so far (I'm 34 yrs old). Is there any compelling reason to have this removed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have an impacted wisdom tooth which has not erupted (below the gumline). It is slightly tipped but I have not had a single problem with pain or anything so far (I'm 34 yrs old). Is there any compelling reason to have this removed?
I had the same thing but what happened is it erupted and grew tipped. I'm not getting it removed yet because I still have to get root canal. NO pain barely.......sometimes when I'm eating candy or something I get a little bit of pain.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:09 PM

well, this is scaring me because I don't want to subject myself to unnecessary risks I heard with impacted extractions there is always a small risk of permanent nerve damage and also I have to do this under general anesthesia which I am not particularly excited about. I figured if it has not bothered me for the past 18 years, why take any risks? The dentist told me that an oral surgeon has to see the x-rays and evaluate because it is close to the nerve canal.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:15 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
I had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth out when I was 19 because I was having significant pain, and they were pushing all my other teeth together. My husband had one impacted wisdom tooth out at about age 30 because he was beginning to have pain.
I wouldn't do it at your age unless you are having problems...if it's not bothering you, why fix what isn't truly broken? Ask your dentist why he feels it's necessary, or if he recommends it to everyone. I would also get a second opinion.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:24 PM

529 posts, read 1,301,125 times
I have 3 of them and I'm 32, every time I go to the dentist she asks me when I'm going to get them removed and I always tell her the same thing, they don't bother me so why would I touch them.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:49 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
If it ain't broke--don't fix it! That's my motto! When and if it ever starts hurting, then it's worth whatever teeny risk there is!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 PM

53 posts, read 332,386 times
A lot of time these teeth are very susceptible to decay and periodontal disease both of which don’t bother patient until it starts hurting. They are just too far back there for most to care for right. I don’t recommend remove for all, just case by case. The old you are the less likely I would recommend extractions.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:43 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Cool Get X-Rays from a good Oral Surgeon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, this is scaring me because I don't want to subject myself to unnecessary risks I heard with impacted extractions there is always a small risk of permanent nerve damage and also I have to do this under general anesthesia which I am not particularly excited about. I figured if it has not bothered me for the past 18 years, why take any risks? The dentist told me that an oral surgeon has to see the x-rays and evaluate because it is close to the nerve canal.
I have the same condition, have had it since adulthood...... am now 70 years old. Two oral surgeons have told me to leave it alone, unless it started to give me trouble. Because of its proximity to the NERVE, there could be nerve damage and I could need my jaw wired for 6 months if the jaw needs to be broken? (I forgot why that might happen).

By suggestion of one oral surgeon, I had the molar next to the impacted wisdom tooth extracted, to make "more room" to extract the wisdom tooth, if need be. I had a general anesthetic for that!

So far, so good..... the impacted w/tooth hasn't given me any trouble!

Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
If the tooth is not bothering you I would leave it alone. I had all mine pulled in my 20's because I had braces taken off and they worried the wisdom teeth might move the rest of my teeth. It was not fun. It is isn't broken don't fix it, is what I say.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:45 PM

Thank you all for the feedback, I have decided to leave the impacted tooth alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health