Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM

299 posts, read 712,028 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm convinced. Denver is just as noisy as NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I just Google Streetviewed that intersection. 3rd Ave. looks amazingly like Broadway in Downtown Denver. Except that Downtown Denver is mostly office towers, and your hood looks to be mostly apartment buildings. Traffic levels look about the same. But looks like one more lane of traffic on 3rd Ave, and more taxi cabs, then Denver. Otherwise they look about the same. I wouldn't expect either street to be quiet.
OK, the first streetview is the OPs neighborhood, and the second is Downtown Denver. Anyone want to take a shot and tell, why you think one street scene or the other looks like it would be more quiet. Both images look to be taken at mid day. I'm sure both streets are much more congested in the rush hour.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Well, I think we're about done with this 'debate'. I lived in NYC for years, and now I live in Denver close to downtown. My wife works at UCD and I spend quite a lot of time in downtown Denver. I no longer live in NY, but I currently have an office at 250 Broadway near City Hall and I'm in NYC at least once a month for a few days. So, I am very familiar with both cities.

NY is just plain loud, and Denver is pretty quiet. That's from my own ears and years of experience, so I'm gonna stick with that.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 PM

81 posts, read 186,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post

I HEART NYC, too, and I'm there every month at least once. It's great, but it's noisy, crowded and dirty
NOOOO! I Don't really "heart" NYC... Guess you didn't catch my sarcasm there. LOL.
I HATE NYC!!!! This place is AWFUL!!!!!! BLLLLAAAAAAHHHHHH.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:52 PM

I am being sarcastic, too. I love NY for the restaurants (fantastic selection and quality), and there is lots of 'stuff' going on, sure. But as a place to live, NYC is pretty ridiculous - lots of grinding away, fighting with the city to get the simplest things done.

Now that I'm only there 3-5 days I month I can 'sort of' enjoy some aspects of the city, but no way I will ever live there again!!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
We've kicked this topic around a lot, I'm willing to sit tight until Birdie gets here later this year and gives us her fresh opinion.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
New York City is definately noisier than Denver, no comparison. Last time I was there, I heard TONS of honking taxi cabs, sirens, screeching bus brakes, etc...

On the flip side, I would not call downtown Denver quiet. There's still plenty of street noise, sirens and honking (I was just downtown this evening during rush hour and probably heard half a dozen people blow their horns in about 10 minutes). If I were in New York however, I would have probably heard that many horns in 30 seconds.

Of course downtown Denver is going to be quieter than New York, but I would not recommend downtown Denver for someone who's looking for complete solitude. I would point people looking for that kind of quiet to the suburbs.

For what it's worth, I love the sound of honking drivers and street noise. It just gives an energy and makes the city feel like... well, the city

Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We've kicked this topic around a lot, I'm willing to sit tight until Birdie gets here later this year and gives us her fresh opinion.
Amen, Brah! We are there Oct 15th!!!!
In the meantime, check out my very entertaining "New York in a Nutshell" posts on youtube! 16 second snapshots of what New York City is REALLY like: The people, The Subway, and NOISE...

YouTube - Prada Boots - Mobile 2.m4v

YouTube - Thinking on the Train - Mobile 3.m4v

YouTube - New York Noise 2 Mobile 1

Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
OK, the first streetview is the OPs neighborhood, and the second is Downtown Denver. Anyone want to take a shot and tell, why you think one street scene or the other looks like it would be more quiet. Both images look to be taken at mid day. I'm sure both streets are much more congested in the rush hour.

Ah. But notice the CABS in one photo and the absence of them in the other! CABS = OUTRAGEOUS HONKING NOISE. If only the pics had a sound track!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
Ah. But notice the CABS in one photo and the absence of them in the other! CABS = OUTRAGEOUS HONKING NOISE. If only the pics had a sound track!
OK so NYC is more noisy because there are more cabs honking? How does the sound level of one of those cabs honking compare to the sound from the horn of an RTD light rail train when some dumb motorist makes a wrong turn onto the tracks in front of the train?

Anyway I'll try to help you all out with a sound track. Is this the NY traffic noise, you are all referring to? If so, it sounds just about the same as a DFD trucking coming down 17th St. to me.

YouTube - Manhattan, New York City - Fire truck in traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver