Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,286 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recount their experience of living in the suburbs of Denver while single and in their twenties? Was it absolutely miserable? If so, why? I imagine that living out in the suburbs would make it extremely difficult to find good friends. I'm 24 and I live near Downtown Denver now, and it has been difficult enough finding good people to hang out with. I'm considering moving out to the burbs to find cheaper rent, but I'm nervous about isolating myself like that. Would you recommend it for someone who's looking for friends and eventually a soul mate?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:40 PM

42 posts, read 81,390 times
I live in Highlands Ranch: a suburb south of Denver infested with marrieds and children. It's quite awful and depressing. Also, don't feel bad about making friends here in Denver. The people here are cliquish and snobby. Not many people like to go out and do things here. It's like pulling teeth! I personally found a much friendlier vibe out west. Hopefully I won't be in Dumb-ver much longer.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
I'm your same age and I'm also looking for the same exact thing, and asking the same questions. I'm starting a new job soon which will finally allow me to move out of my parents' house in SE Aurora. Unfortunately though, the job is located in the DTC area.

There's no way you can convince me that every single mid 20's something in Denver lives in downtown Denver. Not everybody can be an urban hipster. Basic logic tells me there has got to be people our age spread out in different places. I think there's a difference between the outer layer of suburbs, like Highlands Ranch, etc, and "inner ring" suburbs like Englewood. I'm actually heavily investigating Englewood as kind of a middle ground possibility. A pretty nice mix of housing types available there.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
My friends have met plenty of single people in the Lowry area. Cheaper apartments(they spent 600/mo on a 2bd) and a decent area, kind of on the border of the burbs I guess.

My wife and I looked in HR and Parker and I don't think they allow single people in those parts

Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,896 times
Some 'burbs have a bit of what you find in Denver ... Englewood, maybe Littleton downtown (??maybe not), maybe Arvada old town (maybe not??), Louisville, certainly Boulder or Golden if that's your scene. I'd almost include Englewood as part of Denver. I personally wouldn't want to live in a non-descript apartment complex in a 'burb. In my experience, most decent apartments in the 'burbs are not that cheap, and then think of all the money you'll spend on your car and gasoline, vs. living in Denver where you can bicycle, etc. (OK RTD has gotten so expensive it may not save you much over driving). IMO Denver has a good choice of neighborhoods, not just downtown and Capitol Hill, to rent in, and much more to do for a twenty-something or those of us "older" folks as well. Anyway, that's my feeling about it, but I know others feel differently.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Chick View Post
I live in Highlands Ranch: a suburb south of Denver infested with marrieds and children. It's quite awful and depressing. Also, don't feel bad about making friends here in Denver. The people here are cliquish and snobby. Not many people like to go out and do things here. It's like pulling teeth! I personally found a much friendlier vibe out west. Hopefully I won't be in Dumb-ver much longer.
To be fair, you do live in Highlands Ranch. Considered a move deeper into the city?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 AM

42 posts, read 81,390 times
Quote:
To be fair, you do live in Highlands Ranch. Considered a move deeper into the city?
No, to be fair to myself moving across state lines is the answer.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM

20 posts, read 29,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Chick View Post
WOW if ignorance ever had another name it would be Vagabond Chick. Highlands Ranch and most of Littleton, Centennial, and SE Aurora are family oriented suburbs designed with those in mind. Their is a ton of stuff to do if you look. Pick up a frickin' Westword.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM

54 posts, read 129,404 times
Quote:
Hopefully I won't be in Dumb-ver much longer.
You aren't, you are in highlands ranch.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Some 'burbs have a bit of what you find in Denver ... Englewood, maybe Littleton downtown (??maybe not), maybe Arvada old town (maybe not??), Louisville, certainly Boulder or Golden if that's your scene. I'd almost include Englewood as part of Denver. I personally wouldn't want to live in a non-descript apartment complex in a 'burb. In my experience, most decent apartments in the 'burbs are not that cheap, and then think of all the money you'll spend on your car and gasoline, vs. living in Denver where you can bicycle, etc. (OK RTD has gotten so expensive it may not save you much over driving). IMO Denver has a good choice of neighborhoods, not just downtown and Capitol Hill, to rent in, and much more to do for a twenty-something or those of us "older" folks as well. Anyway, that's my feeling about it, but I know others feel differently.
Louisville has some neat bars/restaurants, but it's still pretty family oriented, or at least couples oriented. I have told a number of people, the only singles you are likely to meet in Louisville are single parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver