Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,409 times

Advertisements

I am a single woman, 40 years old and I am looking to leave the LA/OC/SD area that I have lived in for 20 years. My daughter is in college, and I will be a Special Education teacher with a Masters by the end of December. I am looking for a different type of area, I am over the suburbs and want a fun town to spend the next 20 years in. I am hoping that Denver will be that. I want something less expensive than CA, to live downtown and be close to sporting events, cultural events, bars, restaurants, etc. I will probably be teaching in the suburbs but want to live in the city. Is that a workable idea? I want a more down to earth area than Southern California and meet people that are fun and an area with lots to do...is Denver for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynal View Post
I am a single woman, 40 years old and I am looking to leave the LA/OC/SD area that I have lived in for 20 years. My daughter is in college, and I will be a Special Education teacher with a Masters by the end of December. I am looking for a different type of area, I am over the suburbs and want a fun town to spend the next 20 years in. I am hoping that Denver will be that. I want something less expensive than CA, to live downtown and be close to sporting events, cultural events, bars, restaurants, etc. I will probably be teaching in the suburbs but want to live in the city. Is that a workable idea? I want a more down to earth area than Southern California and meet people that are fun and an area with lots to do...is Denver for me?
Yep, sure is. Y'all come.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM

299 posts, read 712,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynal View Post
I am looking for a different type of area, I am over the suburbs and want a fun town to spend the next 20 years in. I am hoping that Denver will be that. I want something less expensive than CA, to live downtown and be close to sporting events, cultural events, bars, restaurants, etc. I will probably be teaching in the suburbs but want to live in the city. Is that a workable idea? I want a more down to earth area than Southern California and meet people that are fun and an area with lots to do...is Denver for me?

Denver could be a good fit for all those things, except the 'down to earth' part of it. People are people everywhere, just different Denver is a nice place and if you want something less expensive and more 'livable' you will really appreciate it.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM

529 posts, read 1,326,056 times
There are quite a few teachers that want to move to CO too. You might read through their threads and then DM them as to what the teaching job market is like.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:20 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
I moved from LA to Denver almost 8 years ago and it's awesome. It has all of the things you mentioned and you can live right in downtown and commute to the suburbs easily. People here complain about the traffic but they don't know how good they have it. After LA, it will seem like nothing to you. Unlike LA, however, the people are really friendly, the downtown is "happening" with 100's of bars, restaurants, clubs, and live music venues....something for every taste, and the quality of life is about 1000 times better. Go for it.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:01 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
There are quite a few teachers that want to move to CO too. You might read through their threads and then DM them as to what the teaching job market is like.
Don't fret terribly about the job market, as qualified special education teachers rarely go unhired. As long as you have good reviews from your present district, you are likely to land a job. However, you will not be given credit for all your years when you are placed on the salary schedule. Some districts will offer 5 years of experience credit and others could offer up to 10 years of experience credit if they have declared sp.ed. teachers to be in the hard to fill category. You will end up taking a pay cut, but the cost of living may make up for it, especially if you sell a house in California and buy a much chearper house in Colorado.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 PM

22 posts, read 35,702 times
Hello from Littleton CO,

I might add that the expanding Light Rail system makes getting around easier, and you might find living in the suburbs cheaper and still have access to the amenities of Downtown Denver living. Old Town Littleton and Englewood to the southwest are a couple of options that I'd recommend, with new light rail stations connecting to the west suburbs (Lakewood, Golden) coming online very soon (Google RTD Denver).

Hope this helps!

Bryan

Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 AM

299 posts, read 712,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
People here complain about the traffic but they don't know how good they have it. After LA, it will seem like nothing to you.
Also crime, noise, pollution, taxes, and general hassle! Denver is a much easier place to live, that's for sure.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Kind of in your same boat...Been in NC my whole life and ready to switch it up....Looking at Phoenix, AZ...Cost of Living doable; 300+ days of sunshine; Driving distance to Cali/Las Vegas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver