Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 22,847 times

Advertisements

I am just dipping my toes into a house search and have always been intrigued by the Roxborough area. I have heard from a couple of different people that the wind is more extravagant there then in the "metro". I currently reside at Kipling & C470 and love sitting outside on my deck in the evenings. In the summertime, after the clouds pass it gets windy for about 15 minutes but that is it. I am originally from Nebraska and HATE the wind, so that is why it is of importance to me. I am curious if the canyon affect just causes it to be windy there all the time like on Hwy. 93 or at Morrison Rd & 470 in the mornings, or if it is just like the rest of the metro.

I also am curious about the water bills. I have seen on these threads that people have had concern about the high water bills, but some people have tried debunking it saying it got blown out of proportion on the news. My question is, what is an average monthly water bill run out there then? I know mine is extremely low ($12/month) and I wouldn't have a problem paying more than that, I am just curious how much more.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 AM

27 posts, read 86,179 times
Default I live in SW Littleton

I live in SW Littleton (Waterton and Campfire) - the Chatfield Farms West subdivision. I've only lived here about six weeks and it's windy as hell at some times. Enough to move the gas grill completely down the distance of the deck even though the wheels are locked. Our deck faces west towards the hogback and the wind seems to run north to south. But it's not that often and seems to be mainly in the early AM. Others times it's totally still.

Water...

We get water from the Roxborough Water and Sanitation District. They get their raw water from the City of Aurora. Fortunately, they just signed a 90 year agreement with renewal rights for subsequent 90 years (details right on their home page) so future water supply (assuming of course Aurora continues to supply it) is no longer a concern. The old agreement with Aurora expired in another 12 years.

The water isn't cheap but not too expensive - $4.77 a thousand gallons up to 20K - it's the base infrastructure that's expensive.

My wife and I used were billed for 3K gallons in December. The water/sewer combined bill is $82.64 of which $14.31 was actual water usage.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 22,847 times
Steve,

Thanks for the info. That helps out quite a bit. My wife found a house over by Crystal Lake that she really likes, however I don't think we are quite ready to sell our house yet. I just wanted some background info from a resident regarding the area. The person my wife talked to had said in the evenings, her friend couldn't even go out on the deck because it got so windy, but she lived behind the hogback in the gated community. Do you have any other comments - positive or negative regarding owning a house down there?
Thanks again for your reply!

Old 12-10-2011, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,623 times
I live near Crystal Lake in the Arrowhead Shores community and the wind can sometimes be bad, especially at night and in the winter when we get the Santa Ana winds from the SW. During the day, it's usually calm unless there is other weather affecting the entire Front Range area. The water is a little higher for the metro area, but not extravagant. I did hear that story of someone in Roxborough Park (southwest of Arrowhead Shores, west of Rampart Range Rd and behind the hogback) having a $900 water bill several years ago. That was pretty extraordinary. All in all, it's a quiet part of town with lovely views. We had debated this area or Highlands Ranch and decided on this area. Our property taxes are a little higher than Highlands Ranch and we don't have as many shopping and recreation center amenities as Highlands Ranch, but we also don't have the traffic and there is more of a sense of community here. With all the open space and community outdoor parks, I don't find myself missing an indoor rec. center very much, but when I do, we go to The Ridge, which is about a 15 minute drive. (You may be familiar with The Ridge, but if not, check it out on the Colorado Parks and Recreation website...great place...three pools!) Also, if you want more privacy, Arrowhead Shores does not have the privacy fences, but is a split rail community. Chatfield Farms does have privacy fences on many of their homes. We like visiting with our neighbors and having more views, so we don't mind the split rail fences, but some people don't like them so much for privacy. Those are a few things to consider. The home prices here are much better for the size and age house that you get, too...when compared to other areas in the SW part of town. I hope this helps!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM

48 posts, read 70,105 times
Talking roxborough colorado covenants need info!

hiya all, any Roxborough folks out there that can give me an idea of covenants.. restrictions etc
we have possibly settled on this community for our move but we need info on fencing, ( we have two lg dogs), hoas, we notice taxes are pretty high! what can we do and what cant we do in general? also, does the train go nearby or is it on the planned schedule of to dos? how about hospitals nearby or clinics? husband is cardiac pt and this is importantl
we have no kids so schools are not an issue.

we currently live on an acreage but we are looking to downsize and simplify our lives a bit, walkability is imp to us, he likes to walk. safety is imp.

thanks!!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Let's start with what I think is most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypony View Post
how about hospitals nearby or clinics? husband is cardiac pt and this is important!

There is a fire station in Roxborough, so response time should be quick (unless there is another emergency in progress, which is unlikely, but the next nearest EMT is 10 miles away).

The nearest emergency room (Swedish SW) is about 10 miles away (14 min by ambulance). THIS IS NOT A HOSPITAL.

Nearest hospitals:
Littleton Adventist Hospital at Mineral Av. and Broadway is about 13 miles away (17 min by ambulance)
Swedish Medical Center at Hampden Av. and Clarkson St. is about 17 miles away (20 min by ambulance).
Sky Ridge Medical Center at Lincoln Av and I-25 is about 20 miles away (23 min by ambulance)
Castle Rock Adventist at Meadows Parkway and Prairie Hawk Dr in Castle Rock is 17 miles away (20 min by ambulance).

Quote:
also, does the train go nearby

The nearest light rail station is at Mineral Ave and Santa Fe Dr., 12 miles away.

Quote:
or is it on the planned schedule of to dos?

No. There is no plan to bring light rail or bus service anywhere near Roxborough as that area is outside of the Regional Transportation District boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver